Adding Power Liftgate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Power Liftgate

so 2 main issues. First off thanks to Shelton for that listing, and like it says it would be major.

I don't see it on there but I suspect there's another sensor involved. but more later.

what feature do you actually want - power liftgate, or power liftgate with the foot swipe, key fob open, and the button on the dash.

reason I say this. Ford's installation is for the full monty - at least on the 2016 model, don't know if foot swipe was on the 15 or earlier.

As such like Shelton says your control module has to know what to do with foot activation sensors - and the logic ford puts there for safety. It then has to know what to do with a key fob button, and have the reverse safety logic in play so if the liftgate were to hit something it wouldn't keep running etc etc.

to that end - Ford's implementation is major, safety oriented and honestly I think worth the price. for the most part.

BUT - if you wanted to just have a button to open the lift gate without anything else - you could wire up your own version. you'd still want the ford struts (would be cheapest, easist bolt in) - and you'd wire in a switch that connected AFTER you unlatched the gate. Bear in mind I'd keep your mechanical latched gate - simply because the rest of the system would require you to change out liftgates and you'd need some more of that safety logic that you would need to re-create.

but - you could rig a switch up, with a limit switch for full open, and another for full down - some relay logic (or you might could use a raspberry pi). it would take some planning to figure out your logic circuits but relatively easy - and you'd end up pulling the mechanical handle - then tripping the activation - back away (you might want to implement the beeping that the factory system uses) and then the upper limit switch would turn off the motor and lock it (assuming they have an internal lock feature).

But it would be doable a little bit easier than doing the full up factory install.

Otherwise as stated - you'd want the feature software activation for the BCM, you'd need the sensors you don't have, you might need a whole new liftgate, wires you might not have installed, and then you'd still have liability issues if something smurfed up. but that's pretty much always the case.

Good luck and if you want further help on it - keep us posted.

Personally I want to install Drivers memory seat on mine because that's one feature I didn't think we'd really need but I wish we had it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the input, but I found a better solution. The dealer that I bought the Limited from never processed the financing correctly and it was kicked back. They wanted more money down, and the interest rate was going up. Great, we drove the care for 5 weeks already! My wife loves it! I wasnt falling for there tricks.
SO, I returned the car, told them to go screw themselves. I took my deposit back, went down the road a bit, and bought a fully loaded sport for less money, way lower interest and much more fun!

Thanks for the input, but I found a better solution. The dealer that I bought the Limited from never processed the financing correctly and it was kicked back. They wanted more money down, and the interest rate was going up. Great, we drove the care for 5 weeks already! My wife loves it! I wasnt falling for there tricks.
SO, I returned the car, told them to go screw themselves. I took my deposit back, went down the road a bit, and bought a fully loaded sport for less money, way lower interest and much more fun!
Congratulations. Might want to update your profile adding the Sport.:thumbsup:

Peter

awesome meanwhile what was the name and location of the **** dealer.

because they need to be identified.

Is there any update with power liftgate solution? I have ford explorer 2015 XLT .. And i want to add this feature..

Is there any update with power liftgate solution? I have ford explorer 2015 XLT .. And i want to add this feature..
No one has done it and as mentioned in post #20, it likely can't be done.

Peter

No one has doe it and as mentioned in post #20, it likely can't be done.

Peter

this is the reply i received from chinese company regarding liftgate kit (its the same company who made liftgate kit for ford edge, honda crv etc..)

"""" Hi Rehan,

Thanks for the pictures. The kit for your car is still under developing, we will keep you updated of the availability closely.

Best regards,

Tao | Sales Manager

深圳车易电子有限公司

电话/微信 +86 18680368936 """"

so i hope it will develop soon.

Hello Guys,

After ton of research I found at that there is one manufacturer who is making complete kits for power liftgate (link is below). They make power liftgates for almost all brands, however they will make for ford explorer as well but right now they need MOQ 50 inorder to develop it. So if you people wish to install it then please pre-order from their website. Right now pre-orders are very cheap.

please find below the link for it.

http://www.che1.com/preorder-tl105-power-liftgate/

I take it these are only for 2015 models and up. Is that right? If so, I wonder why? I don't believe there was any difference between the 2015 and 2014 or possibly earlier ones. Does the company also supply technical assistance should something go wrong with the installation later on?

Peter

y
I take it these are only for 2015 models and up. Is that right? If so, I wonder why? I don't believe there was any difference between the 2015 and 2014 or possibly earlier ones. Does the company also supply technical assistance should something go wrong with the installation later on?

Peter
yea you are right ... i guess it would fit for 2011 and up models ...

Peter
yes.. watch there videos for other brands.. i find it pretty good.. and easy installation .. i desperately want for my 2015 xlt .. that is why i am trying to get 50 persons asap...

It might be a good idea to have those who placed an order to indicate in this thread that they have done so. Good luck.

Public Service Announcement...

This is a "buyer beware" group purchase. The forum has no relation with the company that makes the product, or the person who started this thread.

I did check out che1.com on Google by searching "che1.com forums". I found that BMW owners and Tesla owners have received and reviewed their power lift gates. I'll let you do the searching and you can decide for yourself if this is something you want to get in on.

After having my Explorer for a couple of years I'm going to be honest and say that I think I would rather have manual struts. The system is too slow as it takes 7 seconds to open where other OEMs can open in about 3-4. I've had the lift gate button on the fob get smashed just right in my pocket to where it opened in my garage and the liftgate hit the edge of my toolbox causing a scratch.

It seems you can only safely open the LG when it has no interference the whole way. With a manual you can crack it just far enough as you need it, if its backed up to a wall, etc.

It's more of show off feature than a comfort feature to me.

When the struts die they are going to be replaced with regular gas struts.

I feel the same way about the folding 3rd row.

After having my Explorer for a couple of years I'm going to be honest and say that I think I would rather have manual struts. The system is too slow as it takes 7 seconds to open where other OEMs can open in about 3-4. I've had the lift gate button on the fob get smashed just right in my pocket to where it opened in my garage and the liftgate hit the edge of my toolbox causing a scratch.

It seems you can only safely open the LG when it has no interference the whole way. With a manual you can crack it just far enough as you need it, if its backed up to a wall, etc.

It's more of show off feature than a comfort feature to me.

When the struts die they are going to be replaced with regular gas struts.

I feel the same way about the folding 3rd row.

Funny but before buying my XLT, I test drove a limited and there was 2 things/options that i did not like at all on it, one was the Instrument cluster with the big speedo in the center ( I like the classic, 2 gauges) and the other one was the power liftgate....way too slow
You just wait and wait for it to open!!!!!!
A manual one is so much faster

Good news guys...

Now power liftgate aftermarket kit is available for our ford explorer 2015 XLT ... click on the link below for details...

http://www.che1.com/product/tl105-electric-tailgate-lift-assist-system/

Also, they are providing foot sensor, which will enable tailgate to open through foot just like in 2016+ models... I will buy both kits soon, untill now i didnt tried it myself... but alteast we got something to cheer about..

Good news guys...

Now power liftgate aftermarket kit is available for our ford explorer 2015 XLT ... click on the link below for details...

http://www.che1.com/product/tl105-electric-tailgate-lift-assist-system/

Also, they are providing foot sensor, which will enable tailgate to open through foot just like in 2016+ models... I will buy both kits soon, untill now i didnt tried it myself... but alteast we got something to cheer about..
To clarify, the kit is for 2014 - 2017 Explorers. One thing that the OEM liftgate has is a height adjustable feature which is very handy when opening it in the garage. I didn't see any mention if this add on kit allows for that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To clarify, the kit is for 2014 - 2017 Explorers. One thing that the OEM liftgate has is a height adjustable feature which is very handy when opening it in the garage. I didn't see any mention if this add on kit allows for that.

Peter

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen their tutorial video of Rav4, they made this feature for Rav4, however they didn't provided any video tutorial for explorer so far. But I am guessing that this feature will be available in their explorer kit as well, since they are following the same pattern in all their kits. This is just my guess, i am not sure. I can ask from them about it via email.

Back