1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 Limited V8
    Lol, yeah there seems to be a ms update that takes PC's a good hour or more to install with new info that the computer is even busy I had a bunch of computers do this to me at work. It ended up being about 3 hours of my life I spent trying to figure out what was going on. I was more than a bit irritated also.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Haha!! Funny. I just told someone I bet others had the same issue with that stupid update. My newer laptop took it just fine. Desktop is a couple years old and shit the bed with it. I just uninstalled it, and all is well again. If it starts acting up, and it takes an hour to do its thing, I might try it again.

Then again, that update might be some extravagant hack, and during that hour of black screen, someone stole your life, raided the fridge, and is holding your pet for ransom.

Last edited: January 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Circuit Breaker #6

Installed the 200 amp Breaker for the inverter. Ran a short 4 awg cable, that runs to it between the battery and inverter. Mounted it to the crowded shelf for easy access.

200 amp circuit breaker for inverter.jpg

Decided to mount the winch power next to the inverter, for easier access as well. The Anderson connector makes it a snap to plug in the cable, and could use it for other things if desired, for a good power port.

Winch anderson mounted to inverter bracket.jpg

Inside of this Box is about maxed out now. The DC/DC charger will replace the solar charge controller in there now. I just hope it will fit in that space. If not, there is always the lid with the expanded metal to mount it to.

T Box internal as of Feb 03 2020.jpg

Piddly stuff is all I am doing until spring on this thing. Need warmer weather for work, and Mod funds. Slim picking until then. lol

So I just found out that Toyota has come out with a specialty line up on some of their vehicles. They came out with a Murdered out package, and named it "NightShade". I have to come up with a new name, as I am not going to have this thing connected, to any vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited: February 14, 2020 at 5:23 PM
  5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Misc little stuff continued.....

With the help of a kerosene heater, I was able to get some things done in the shop today. Was Cold enough out there to fart snowflakes this morning.

Made some brackets for hanging the mudflaps, and installed them. Thick 1/2" rubber flaps and brackets mounted out of view.

Only had two places to mount them with the fender tube framing. 1 was close to the tire, the other was close to the rear bumper. I chose the bumper.
    Angle bracket bolted to the fender tube frame, and flap bolted to the angle, with a flat backside, to sandwich the flap. 1/4" SS hardware secures them to the angle. Used some Teks brand structural self drill/tap, coated bolts on the angle to frame. These things are legit. Will drill and thread thru 3/8" steel and not break or strip. No pilot hole needed. We use them to bolt down commercial steel roofing panels, to structural I-beams. Has rubber washers on them too.

Brackets / hardware backside view.

(found a booger weld that didn't get cleaned up. I know you see it!)

Mud flap backside bracket.jpg

Outside

Mudflap outside bracket.jpg

There is an inset on the flaps. I am wanting to add something there to them. Something that goes with the trailer. Could rivet a metal design of some sort. Need someone with a CNC table that can cut something nice out of thin flat stock. Ideas are welcome!

Pass mudflap angle view.jpg

Soldered on the big Anderson connector for the battery charge from the tow rig. Used a new automotive ground cable, and fastened it to the tongue. It's ready for some 12v charging Pow-Wah.

Trailer power charge cable anderson.jpg

@traveler sent me a set of Explorer tow mirrors to use! Thanks a bunch sir! These should come in handy on the road.

Ex tow mirrors.jpg

Next project is the tedious one, I have been saving for the long cold winter. Replacing all the hex head trim bolts! I am so not looking forward to doing this one. I actually contemplated not using any screws at all, and replacing all the trims with 2 sided tape. There are hundreds of them bolts, and that's a lot of work to get a flat head flush, and sealed up under the trims tho. I might, or might not do that. lol

Last edited: February 15, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  6. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    Shouldnt those mud flaps have silhouettes of a slender young lady on them? Hehe

• Like Like x 2
  7. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Yeah, they need something. But something that fits in with the theme/purpose of the trailer itself. Need to think on this one for a spell.

8. traveler

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    Use the explorer climbing a mountain range image that is on the explorer forum license plate frames. Blow it up to fit the bottom of the flaps and find a way to print it on. Or just get a couple of those frames, cut off the top and sides and attach the bottoms to the flaps..

• Like Like x 2
  9. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I like the idea of the plate graphic, just way too small & fragile to use the plastic plate frame.

If I could get that same graphic in a larger size, ( around 8" wide x 2-3" tall) made from brushed nickle plate, say around 16-18 gauge, and fasten it to the center of the flap, that would work.

10. traveler

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mesa
    2000 EB Explorer 5.0
    Get plate frame and send it to a CNC place. Have the pattern enlarged and cut out.

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I have a few of them plate covers. The white has worn clean off tho. Lol

I would need permission from our grand poohbah here tho. :laugh:

• Like Like x 1