Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Brian1 91 XLT 4x4

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Brian1, January 1, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    I got the engine to 500 miles and did an oil change. I also cut the filter open and it was clean. This past weekend I added another 500 miles to put over 1000 on the new engine without any issues. This trip was much needed as it was the first multi-day trip out with my Explorer this year. Found some epic camping spots, checked out a train station in the middle of no where and had some hot air balloons launch 100 yards from my camp spot on a river gorge on the last morning.

DJI_0029.jpg

DSC_9570.jpg

IMG_20191012_150956095.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    what a great looking trip! The new engine is good after 1000 miles it will likely be good after 300,000 miles in your care
    Good to see the old girl out in the dirt again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    You do seem to find some beautiful spots to camp.

5. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Nothing much new to report. I had my driver window retinted because it was so scratched up and getting hard to see out of. I also replaced my rusted out Dynomax welded muffler with the Dynomax 17747 Super Turbo. Bought a new connecting pipe, Walker 43470, because it was cheap instead of banging out the one I had on there to fit since it was crushed with a U-bolt clamp. Speaking of u-bolt clamps I hate them so I went to a stainless band clamp, Walker 33231 on the front and back of the muffler. I think it makes for a much cleaner install if you still want your exhaust clamped together and it is serviceable. I'm pretty sure I have had this same muffler on before with my original Dynomax cat-back system, it is a little quieter than the welded muffler I took off that was a straight through design. Lastly, I put in a new O2 sensor since it has been a long time.

Last edited: December 11, 2019 at 8:46 PM
  6. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    Today I learned my steering box has a leaking input seal :banghead: I just fixed a leak with a new pressure hose too and now it is all covered in fluid again. I'm no stranger to rebuilding steering boxes but I'm wondering if it is worth getting a new/rebuilt one instead of popping in a $4 seal at this point. It has about 250k miles on it and I haven't really noticed if it is too loose or not (or maybe I'm just used to it). Thoughts or suggestions? I'll do some research but a Redhead isn't out of the question either. I've read Motorcraft is the best rebuilt option to get as they are the only one to magnaflux the sector shaft to check for cracks. I'm not too sure what makes a Redhead better than a Motorcraft box but I'll look into that too as I'm in no rush to get it fixed since it is going to be sitting for a while as I travel..

7. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    I'm no help, I just keep returning my AutoZone rebuilds every few years.

8. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    Go research the red head then you will buy one.
    Factory box has a defect, no matter how many times you rebuild them they will develop slop
    The red head box is MACHINED to remove the defect and will NOT develop slop
    Best upgrade I ever did to my BII
    TTB + steering slop = sucks, always holding the wheel left or holding it right, the truck never tracked straight. Since the red head my truck steering is super responsive and I hold the wheel in the center..... for like 18 years I drove my BII lifted with large tires, tried a carquest box = developed slop. Tried a local reman = developed slop. Finally went red head = smile
    Motorcraft reman is not going to do what a redhead box does.
    Redhead ONLY IMO

• Like Like x 1
  9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Here's a question I don't think I've ever asked; will the old Ford steering box go into these Explorers? The old 70's box was used in almost everything, including all GM's and other makes. Ford used a Ford only box in most Fords, but the 71-73 Mustang had a Saginaw steering box that was a direct swap to any big Fords. That one is also in all NASCAR vehicles.

If by chance those can retrofit, that would be an easy common source for a strong buildable unit. It's identified by having four top plate bolts, instead of two. The Camaros and Trans Ams all had them, and they came in tighter ratios than typical cars. I bought one for my Ranchero in the late 80's, it's a great steering box.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    Ford used the same box in everything truck of that era. I have a f-series box in JP. I have heard some of the ratios are different, but not sure.

11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    The one I have came from a rebuilder who supplied NASCAR. That was in about 1990, and ran near $250 I recall. Back then finding sources etc, was much tougher than today.

If that old Saginaw box has the same three bolt pattern and can go in the Explorer, I'd try it. Those were tough when they were stock in those common cars, and the sports cars like the Camaro and Trans Am had the quick ratios. The two bolt(top cover plate) version was not a well liked steering box to use back in the 80's. I wonder if the 90's Explorer version is the same, or from the same maker etc.

12. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 XLT
    Callsign:
    KG5BAQ
    [​IMG]

Collectors edition now :(

For those who haven't heard, the magazine publisher just discontinued 19 print magazines including 4WOR which I have written several articles for. I just turned in my article on my engine rebuild that was scheduled for the next issue and now won't make it into print.

Have a couple new parts to install, more updates as I get them done.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    Sad:(

At least we got a run in from the forum one edition. I guess I really need to frame the one I have now.

14. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 Yost Offroad Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    South Central PA
    1994 Explorer
    Callsign:
    yosty
    That's a shame as I enjoyed your articles. Canning the magazine wasn't a big surprise to me but it is still upsetting.

• Like Like x 1