Didn't like it at first, but..

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it - could've been an LR3 and I wouldn't even know it :)

05.lr3.5_(400x300).jpg

I just want ford to give a full uncoverd picture! I hate these teasers, I'd like to see the full product. I love the tailgate of this X. I wish mine had the chrome explorer name on it :)
100715100334explorer_rear_hatch_teaser.jpg

30024_401746635587_281999445587_4761640_6963999_n.jpg

BUT The one thing I'm not too thrilled about is this:
Power_seat_control_teaser.jpg

If it goes bad the seats are possibly stuck. :(

All I'm hoping for is a 3rd seat delete. Everything else is all good.

All I'm hoping for is a 3rd seat delete. Everything else is all good.

I hate the 3rd row seats. I never use them, in fact I rarely have to use my 2nd row seats. They are a waste of 100 lbs.

Love it - could've been an LR3 and I wouldn't even know it :)

05.lr3.5_(400x300).jpg

Looks like they stole the back side windows off a Bronco II

I hate the 3rd row seats. I never use them, in fact I rarely have to use my 2nd row seats. They are a waste of 100 lbs.

Yep, if I wanted a van, I'd buy a van. It would be nice if Ford offered an option to delete the 3rd row and add some storage compartments in its place. Would probably go over well.

Looks like the big reveal will be next Monday, the 26th, in NYC at Macy's :rolleyes: Probably will be carried on their Facebook page.

It will be on the 26th, Mike Rowe will be MC-ing the reveal...

I wish it looked more like the current Explorer. I don't even care so much that it's a unibody suv, I just hate how it looks nothing like an Explorer. That being said I'm sure it will be a very very nice suv.

I wish it looked more like the current Explorer. I don't even care so much that it's a unibody suv, I just hate how it looks nothing like an Explorer. That being said I'm sure it will be a very very nice suv.

Awh Poop! they went unibody!!! now it's more like a honda then it's trucky hard core offroad beginning. Maybe I will be surprised...

Wonder what the tow rating is..

Awh Poop! they went unibody!!! now it's more like a honda then it's trucky hard core offroad beginning. Maybe I will be surprised...

Wonder what the tow rating is..

Unibody isn't such a bad thing...the Grand Cherokee is unibody and it can off road well and the new one can tow 7,400 pounds.

Well, here is the unibody...

jeep_safetycage-555.jpg

...of the beloved Jeep Grand Cherokee :D

It does tow 7,400 lbs, with the V8 HEMI and a towing package. The V6 model tows 5,000 lbs. which is where the Explorer will be (or better).

I hope the new x is as nice as mine. I love the truck feel to it. I don't like these "car-like" SUVs, and I wish they kept the design similar to the 02-05. Those are, in my opinion, the best looking explorers.
I'd rather have the full front to rear bumper frame, but I understand that the Unibody design is the future of most cars/SUVs, cant fight it. And when they can figure out how to have a Unibody truck, they will :( .
Timeline of the Explorer:
Model Years: 1991-1994
1993_ford_explorer.jpg

Model Years: 1995-2001
1996%20Ford%20Explorer.jpg

Model Years: 2002-2005
02explorer_red.jpg

Model Years: 2006-2010
06.explorer.1_(400x300).jpg

Model Years: 2011-?
30024_401746635587_281999445587_4761640_6963999_n.jpg

1st Generation and 3rd Generation are by far the nicest.

Unibody isn't such a bad thing...the Grand Cherokee is unibody and it can off road well and the new one can tow 7,400 pounds.

I suppose, although my friend has that JGC and I must say I am not really impressed. But I guess most of my reasons don't have anything to do with the uni-body so I will keep an open mind. I guess if the design is proper it should be as good as a frame. Heck I am still having an issue with the IRS on the gen3/4 models. But as I said I will keep am open mind and expect ground breaking performance like the current model f150's had when they first came out. I just hope they didn't push the explorer even more down the soccer mom avenue. It would be nice to see 8000lb tow ratings with a deserving transmission and proper V8 that gets at least 25mpg (actual, not some bloated epa crap)

C'mon Ford give us something cool... How about an Explorer Raptor that would kick some serious butt...

I suppose, although my friend has that JGC and I must say I am not really impressed. But I guess most of my reasons don't have anything to do with the uni-body so I will keep an open mind. I guess if the design is proper it should be as good as a frame. Heck I am still having an issue with the IRS on the gen3/4 models. But as I said I will keep am open mind and expect ground breaking performance like the current model f150's had when they first came out. I just hope they didn't push the explorer even more down the soccer mom avenue. It would be nice to see 8000lb tow ratings with a deserving transmission and proper V8 that gets at least 25mpg (actual, not some bloated epa crap)

C'mon Ford give us something cool... How about an Explorer Raptor that would kick some serious butt...

I've never been in one but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the old JGCs are crappy quality, knowing that it's a Chrysler product. The new ones do look very nice inside, though.

I was mad about the 3rd/4th Gen Explorer's IRS, but I ended up getting a 4th Gen, and I love the handling and ride and it also keeps me out of trouble because I won't try anything crazy with it because it's not capable off road.

And I wouldn't expect the new Explorer to tow more than 6,500 pounds, but we'll see.

The looks of this new Explorer bother me so much! It looks so bloated and un-truck-like. The other Explorer's look so trim for lack of a better word. :mad:

Here ya go...

After a long and arduous strip tease of images – primarily on Facebook – Ford will finally take the wraps off of its 2011 Explorer SUV on Monday in nine cities across the United States.

The main event will be in New York City’s Herald Square, not far from where VW recently unveiled its new Jetta, although smaller events are planned for a number of Ford’s most important regional markets. The New York event will feature Ford CEO Alan Mulally and Ford spokesman Mike Rowe (of the Discovery Channel’s “Dirty Jobs” TV series).

Invite-only events will be held across the country in Chicago, Dallas, Dearborn (Michigan), Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

The Explorer’s unveiling hardly marks the first time in recent history that Ford has made a major, drawn-out show of introducing a new model. The automaker leveraged social networkers to help spread the word about its Fiesta subcompact, which debuted earlier this summer after a lengthy “Fiesta Movement” campaign.

I don't think Ford has made an ugly explorer yet..02-05 is actually the worst IMO but still gorgeous trucks. I'm very excited to see this..I'm just glad they kept the name..it's be a real shame to see it go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 91-94 and the 02-05, in my opinion, look the most truck look.
Heres some pros and cons
Advantages to 2011 X:
Fuel Efficiency
Terrain Management System
Cool New Electronics
V6 ECOBOOST ENGINE!!!!!!
4 CYL option
Disadvantages:
No V8, the mustang's 5.0L would be sweet!
Unibody (for some)

Well thats all I can think of
Anyone know if the new explorer is a FWD (front wheel) or RWD (rear wheel)?
I'm thinking FWD.

Back