Do I need a lift for 235/85/16's on my 02 Explorer XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a lift for 235/85/16's on my 02 Explorer XLT?

tmart57

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
I'm not looking to go off-roading too often, but I'm wanting to put 235/85/16's(31.7") on the stock rims on my 02 Explorer xlt 4x4. I've read the stickies that say I shouldn't need a lift for 32's, but I've read in other threads that I will. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sure you want a tire with a sidewall that tall, with such a low tread width?

i'm not positive, but i'm sure you could fit atleast 245 on the stock wheels, no? reason being, that's going to be a very tall yet narrow tire.

That's what I thought, but I'm not sure how much wider I can get and still keep the stock rims. I read a percentage awhile back on the acceptable width increase but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. If anyone has any info on the subject it would be appreciated

I've done a lot of searching on here lately about lifts and tire sizes, as I am interested in lifting mine. Currently, I ordered BTF spacers (2"f 1.75" r, should be just a tad under 3 inch lift). Now, most people from what I gathered, go with 265/75R16. That is what I will be getting. My factory rims are 16x7, and I will be using them. Now, looking at cooper tires website, I found a "spec sheet" with all the tire sizes. Says 265/75R16s are rated for 7-9" rims. There is a pic of a really nice looking (green/brown?) ex with the btf spacers and 265/75R16 bf Goodrich's on factory rims in the how to btf spacer sticky under the 3rd gen modified section. Hopefully mine should look damn close, but in wedgewood blue :). As a side note, it also seems a lot of ppl have/do fit 265/75R16s with no lift, and no rubbing (as long as you don't have crazy knubby mudder tires)

Also, 245 is a stock width on the 17 inch rims, so if you don't want as wide a tire, 245's should definitely fit.

I've had 265/75/16s (31.6") on a stock height 3rd gen Ex, with no problems at all and have also had 265/70/17 (31.6") on a 2" lifted 3rd gen. Currently run 265/65/17 (30.6") on a stock height 3rd gen (stock is 29.5" tyre).

These are what I'm running currently on my base model X. I have no lift at all. These will make your truck look better too. Fills in the gap very well. You should be fine. When you get them mounted make sure you go into the shop and make sure there is no issues with rubbing or hitting anything. Just get the mechanic to turn the wheel completely left to right and feel around for hitting anywhere in the wheel well. Good luck!

I've had 265/75/16s (31.6") on a stock height 3rd gen Ex, with no problems at all and have also had 265/70/17 (31.6") on a 2" lifted 3rd gen. Currently run 265/65/17 (30.6") on a stock height 3rd gen (stock is 29.5" tyre).

Did you run those 275's on the stock 16's or did you buy wider rims?

Did you run those 275's on the stock 16's or did you buy wider rims?

Hi - all were on stock rims (I had stock 17s, and bought some stock 16s specifically for the 265/75/16s).

If I go with 265/75/16's, what type of tires are considered "too knobby" to avoid rubbing? I.e are dynapros, grabber at2's, bfg's, and other A/T tires too bulky?

Don't quote me on this, but I would say A/T tires should be ok. Its the M/T tires that may be too knobby and rub.

265/70-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's did NOT rub on my wife's 03 XLT prior to the 1.5" body lift.

How do you like those tires? I've been greatly interested in them, especially winter traction.

How do you like those tires? I've been greatly interested in them, especially winter traction.

The Coopers? Perfectly happy with them...during our trip, put 6K miles on them, in everything except snow...with the tread design, silica formula tread and the siping, they should do well in the snow too. Even with 6K miles in such a short time, very little wear at all.

Wet asphalt and concrete traction was excellent, caught in several major rainstorms both on and off the pavement, no hydroplaning at highway speeds in several sudden instances.

They handled the sharp, tire shredding rocks in Colorado just fine without chunking, and gripped like glue in Moab only dropping the air pressure 10 psi.

As reported in the printed reviews, mud traction is impressive for an all-terrain, we were caught out on the trail with some of the sudden downpours in Moab, and some areas go from brick-hard to gooey "axle-grease" mud when water is added...a little more pressure on the skinny pedal had them cleaning and clawing forward, slinging like a mud-terrain and ensuring I was going to spend money at the coin wash...

I think they have a 50K treadwear, so I would buy them again. I'll put it this way...A set are going on my '91 Explorer next, and I am giving serious thought to a set for my XJ instead of Dick Cepek Mud Country's.

That's great to hear, I had Cooper ATRs on my 94 explorer, and LOVED them. Seeing as the AT3's are the "replacement" for them, I'm very tempted to try them on my "new" 02.

Back