Dr. Jack | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Poo...I hope you get them soon I wanna see this thing locked and rocking!

Thx dk, i believe i am getting a lot anxious, but got to remember paitence(sp) time is getting close to getting the Dr. Jack wheeling but want it right. Did get some good news on the shock bushings, I will have to go to Austin to get them, but they have them in stock and the price is good. (that's about a 220 mile round trip) Who knows, maybe I will give myself a Christmas present of having both axles locked. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thx dk, i believe i am getting a lot anxious, but got to remember paitence(sp) time is getting close to getting the Dr. Jack wheeling but want it right. Did get some good news on the shock bushings, I will have to go to Austin to get them, but they have them in stock and the price is good. (that's about a 220 mile round trip) Who knows, maybe I will give myself a Christmas present of having both axles locked. :D

Ummm, they cant ship the parts to you?

Scratch a B\D drill, oh well, time to upgrade anyhow. Is it possible the Humbolt curse went looking for warmer weather? :dunno:

a lil late, but I gotta say this is a crazy/amazing story, what luck and what a small world! I'd love to hear about future endeavors so I'm subscribing.......good luck from a fellow Mike!

1st gen frames are thick. Slow & steady with a sharp bit is the key. I still cant see the pic of them sliders:frustrate

Well duh! I know that now!!!

a lil late, but I gotta say this is a crazy/amazing story, what luck and what a small world! I'd love to hear about future endeavors so I'm subscribing.......good luck from a fellow Mike!

Thanks fellow Mike! It is an amazing story with the rig, Lady Luck has really smiled on me. (there has to be roadblocks tho, it just wouldn't be a story without them, just have to live and learn and keep on going)

Well guess what I got today? A EMPTY package from UPS. Looks like it got damaged in shipment and the fittings are no longer in it. :banghead: have to do a claim and gonna reorder, :rant:

1st gen frames are thick.

Thank you Capt. Obvious :p: i found this out the hard way over the weekend.:D

Well guess what I got today? A EMPTY package from UPS. Looks like it got damaged in shipment and the fittings are no longer in it. :banghead: have to do a claim and gonna reorder, :rant:

Bummer man i hate when that happens :mad:

I do believe I would be making a phone call demanding some kind of explanation, and then make arrangements to make sure they don't continue to keep screwing things up in the future.

Sorry to hear that bit of bad luck. I think I am going to have to drive to TX to take some more pictures for everybody to see whats going on down there:p:

Your obviously having a hard time with it ;)

Ya think? Phone call: "We're sorry but this happens sometimes"
It's not bad luck, it's just sh*t happens. A lazy deliverly driver and a rush of packages this time of year, <snip>QUOTE]

Sounds to me like they just throw a couple fittings in a box and sent it. If they have issues of them falling out of a box when the box gets ripped then they should wrap them in some bubble wrap etc.. that way if something happens to the box (which does happen) the little parts won't fall out.

Thats how I always receive small parts from Summit and Jegs, and thats what I do when I ship things out... make the small things bigger so they can't fall out a small hole.

~Mark

Ya think? Phone call: "We're sorry but this happens sometimes"
It's not bad luck, it's just sh*t happens. A lazy deliverly driver and a rush of packages this time of year, <snip>QUOTE]

Sounds to me like they just throw a couple fittings in a box and sent it. If they have issues of them falling out of a box when the box gets ripped then they should wrap them in some bubble wrap etc.. that way if something happens to the box (which does happen) the little parts won't fall out.

Thats how I always receive small parts from Summit and Jegs, and thats what I do when I ship things out... make the small things bigger so they can't fall out a small hole.

~Mark

It was actually a medium shipping box (sp) with some bubble wrap in it, where it was ripped was taped with clear shipping tape, so I can see how it could of got caught on a conveyor belt or something like that at a ups hub, the remark on the driver comes from a prior shipment where the driver said he couldn't find my address where a ups package was delivered a couple days later, and of course it could of been different drivers, I understand that, it is just two in a row kinda irks me, but it will work out and things will get there.
I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere just outside a town with a population of est. 150. (not counting dogs, cats and dam* goats) so it is not easy for me to run to the parts store for modified stuff.

Wow, that really sucks. Those are the fittings the local hardware store carries either. All the ARB stuff I have bought comes in a little plastic baggies. If all else fails call Predator 4WD, they have went out of their way to help us.

Wow, that really sucks. Those are the fittings the local hardware store carries either. All the ARB stuff I have bought comes in a little plastic baggies. If all else fails call Predator 4WD, they have went out of their way to help us.
Thanks Daniel, will try predator if the fittings don't come in by the first week of Jan. Just hoping that maybe by shear luck that the fittings are attached to an invoice and they can still make it to the shop.
On the other hand, when I got home and was checking some wiring before I lost daylight, a light bulb went off in my head about another idea I had with the rig, so I started on that instead.

simpsons-doh.jpg

Well, between goofing off on the computer and actually doing some work on the rig I did manage to get some things done this weekend so far. Pretty sure the battery is the problem, finally realized if I just disconnect the battery for a couple days and see what happens would tell me if it was the battery or not, and after the durr, yep it seems to be that, drained with both leads disconnected. Got the dash put back together and then took some more it apart for running wiring. Replaced the key cylinder due to the one in it was doing very well on locking the ignition in the off position. Found out my idea for a camera in the front will not work due to the electric interferance for the wireless transmitter, just too much electrial noise under the hood. Some things done, back to the drawing board on others.:cool:

HPIM1300a.jpg

Well. this is the old key cylinder, The outside item (I don't have a clue of the proper name) actually feel off when I put slight pressure on it, and that is not counting the pieces that feel out, the book actually showed the steering wheel removed to take the cylinder, but once I angled it right to the right hole (can't wait for the comments on this) it was easy to replace. I am just happy I was able to post this from home. (35 minutes,but got it done)

Back