Dr. Jack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Headed to B2guy's stomping ground this weekend to do some major work and upgrade Dr. Jack.

Haven't done much this past few weeks, just some electrical work and redoing work I have already done,after I did some minor work, I didn't like it and redid it.

Can't wait to get this rig on the (off) road!!!:D

Old engine is out.

1354 manual is installed.

New clutch is installed.

new slave cylinder is in.

Waiting til morning to install the engine.

T-bone steaks were bad a$$! Thanks Brad!

We did a little wheeling & snapped a chromo axle in the front of Brads Ex, on a nasty decent on a wicked ravine, Yikes! Fun though!

Engine install is complete! All went well, and Unclemike is happy as can be!

(dead links)

engineinstall4.jpg

engineinstall6.jpg

that X is going together nicely!!!

The New motor fired right up. No hesitations. Once it had started running, we discovered a small problem with the headers. These are a 4 pc header design. Their was a small leak in one of the connections. B2guy had fixed that in a jiff .

Bryce had this engine out in no time, all the parts swapped over from Mikes original engine, installed the new clutch, manual 1354 swapped in a total of aprox 12hrs. My hats off to these guys, they really work fast, and have a top notch shop to work in.

Mike is on his way back home and will be enjoying his rig a bit more now he has a running engine back in it.

(p.s. I taught him how to post pics now!)

Hey that's great to see the rig on the road again! Enjoy:chug:

Awesome looking explorer. That is good that the engine swap went smoothly... I can only imagine the headaches I will get when I do one myself.

It did go smoothly, but still took about 4hrs longer than planned, if we wouldnt have had header issues and broken manifold bolt issuses, but other than that very pleased, and glad to have been able to take it for a drive, was very impressed with its ride and how it handled, amazed at steering radius for a 4dr! wow.

WOWZAAAA!!!!! It did go real good on the engine swap. Can't give Bryce and Brad enough thanks. Only having a exhaust leak after all the work and effort is just awsome. Plus the hospilitly (sp) of Brad and Bryce family made me feel right at home. The pics are great.
The Dr. Jack is looking good.
It took me 3 hours longer to get back on the same route I took up there, don't know how that worked out, no sleep till I got back, hit Ft. Worth at sun up and home around 815, then passed out til now. It was worth it big time.
Total of 1600+ miles, engine swap, manuel xfer, new clutch, numerous other items, getting to go with Gman to B2's and Bryce's, riding thru the woods with B2 (now I know why his motto is "rubbing trees is fun" ),now these things are pricless!!!
:salute::D:thumbsup::burnout::bounce::chug::biggthump

Well DUH!

Ok, my brain works slower at times if it works at all, I left Gman's house in Springfield, and when I drove there I stopped at Joplin to catch some zzz's that's about 75 miles difference, so that adds some time of course. Still happy about the trip, it was great!
To do list (partial)

axle seal

air compressor sensor

cosmatic (sp) work grill and inside

shock bushings

temparary (sp) front bumper

off road lights

winch

inspection and regisistaion

trailer to haul rig to runs

It will get done, sill 1 year and 10 months ahead of goal

Jon, your right, I'm kinda mileage out for a while tho!!!

MrQ, Thanks for the link, that is one sweet custom bumper! Now that give me some ideas, a heap of a lot sweeter than I was building in my head.

Back