Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

Auto...but why would i have to do the kickdown cable also? I would have thought that doing just the throttle cable would be sufficient

You don't have a trans kick down cable, that is on older models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I did was put a zap strap on the cable and thats all it really needed, It works so good, Like a brand new cable! I love how sensitive it is

On the '06 X's, it's different. I find an uncomfortable lag during the first 1/4" of pedal travel and had my dealer look at it. They reflashed the ECM but that made no difference that I could sense. The vehicle doesn't 'hesitate' per-se, but it seems like there is slack in the accel pedal cable. But from what I could tell, the system is very different than that used in my '98 X and seems to have no slack at all.
In the case of the '06 model, the delay seems to be programmed into the system, but it's unnatural for those used to driving the older Fords.

On the '06 X's, it's different. I find an uncomfortable lag during the first 1/4" of pedal travel and had my dealer look at it. They reflashed the ECM but that made no difference that I could sense. The vehicle doesn't 'hesitate' per-se, but it seems like there is slack in the accel pedal cable. But from what I could tell, the system is very different than that used in my '98 X and seems to have no slack at all.
In the case of the '06 model, the delay seems to be programmed into the system, but it's unnatural for those used to driving the older Fords.

Umm, that's because an '06 has no throttle cable. It's throttle by wire. There is no cable on an '06.

The solution: An aftermarket programmer.

-Joe

That's a bit more than I want to tackle. But it's annoying. Especially when pulling into traffic, or worse, on a slight incline--the engine idle won't keep the truck from rolling backwards and on a level road, it won't roll forward when I take my foot off the brake like my '98 X does. There's a lag or a dead zone for the first 1/4" or so of pedal travel which means it takes an extra second or so to pull out of a side street into a traffic lane. 'Have to compensate for that in driving technique.

That's a bit more than I want to tackle. But it's annoying. Especially when pulling into traffic, or worse, on a slight incline--the engine idle won't keep the truck from rolling backwards and on a level road, it won't roll forward when I take my foot off the brake like my '98 X does. There's a lag or a dead zone for the first 1/4" or so of pedal travel which means it takes an extra second or so to pull out of a side street into a traffic lane. 'Have to compensate for that in driving technique.

My new F150 does this too, it's odd. I had some programs written for my Xcal 2 and it did help some, but the pedal is really sensitive now too.
Does the explorer also keep accelerating for about .5-1 second after you take your foot off the gas? lol. Almost got my wife into trouble the first time she drove it. :rolleyes:

I've been wondering why my Explorer's been feeling so weak lately. Today, I had my brother-in-law hold the peddle to the floor while I looked at the butterfly valve, and it was barely open. There's almost 2 inches of slack in my throttle cable, so I guess I'll be doing this mod in the morning. Hard to believe that there's no adjustment built in? I guess my last car was much older.

I've been wondering why my Explorer's been feeling so weak lately. Today, I had my brother-in-law hold the peddle to the floor while I looked at the butterfly valve, and it was barely open. There's almost 2 inches of slack in my throttle cable, so I guess I'll be doing this mod in the morning. Hard to believe that there's no adjustment built in? I guess my last car was much older.

2 inches!? that's a lot of slack... make sure it's not frayed or coming apart somewhere....

i did this mod on my X a long time ago before i even joined the forums. i had about 3/8" of slack in mine i just used zip ties to take up the slack

Just did this tonight after taking a look down there and realizing how much slack I had. It's like a brand new truck! :eek:

This is actually gonna take some getting used to, that's how much of a difference it makes for me. Great mod.

nice, cheap mod. I noticed a difference as soon as I first drove it.:D

This is a great mod, I can't believe the difference in acceleration!

will this work on an 02 4.6? ive noticed this problem for a while now, and it would be nice if i could fix it for nothing lol

will this work on an 02 4.6? ive noticed this problem for a while now, and it would be nice if i could fix it for nothing lol

not sure.... i know some of the newer X's have electronic throttle control so there's no throttle cable...
check and see if your Throttle Body has a big block on the side of it like this...
1569_21lo.jpg

if it does then you have electronic throttle control and there is no throttle cable to adjust

if yours has actual cables running to the throttle body in THIS fashion....
12-09-07_1924.jpg

then you can consider this mod for your vehicle

I just put a zip tie on my throttle cable and it made a huge difference. Not quite getting WOT but I would like to put a spring or something with a bit of give in there so I don't stress anything too much.

Great mod. I looked for an easy way of adjusting it before but didn't think of just adding a spacer at the pedal end. Thanks.

WOW! Just did the throttle cable mod.

Hard to believe that something so simple can make such a big difference. Acceleration is much more responsive. There goes the gas mileage. I won't be seeing "30 mpg".

I just did it on my 1995 EB and it needed 4 zipties it may need one more, but it is responsive now. I also did it on my 1998 EB and it only took one, but it responds much better and the shift to second or third is much quicker.

I tried this mod on my 2001 Expedition EB and I think it is drive by wire so I could not do it.

Good Mod

I did this mod on my 99 limited and its been great, it feels much more peppy. Gotta love more power!!!!

have you been to a junkyard an check another ex an see if they have that piece?? when my transmission went out my mechanic noticed i didnt have that tiny lil gromit piece on my foot pedal. i checked it out an went to the junkyard got the gromit an noticed mine didnt have a spring on it but the other ex did so i yanked it off an now its on mine. my mechanic said if you dont have that cable somewhat tight it'll cause problems for you on your tranny down the road. idk much about cars but what he said everything is working better on my ex. i drove it two years chuggin along till my mechanic helped me. no joke. get yours done right.

I just did this mod today and it works great! I did it by placing a soft screw driver handle into the intake, keeping the throttle open to just before the stop. Then I jammed myself in between the seat and the roll cage and put on 3 zip-tie's. Removed screw driver handle, checked to make sure the cable was not compressing the spring too much and it worked great. Before I did this mod, the throttle would only open about 1/2 way.

I have a GM 700R4 transmission and it has a different kick-down cable. I noticed it was not kicking-down like it used too, probably because the throttle cable was not pushing the cable down far enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is this kick down or kickback stuff? if i put this on my 94 explorer with the auto.. will that be safe? will i have to zip tie both?

Back