Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Gman's Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Personal CRS Electrical reference post: Cuz I'm so old, I remember when Rainbows was in Black & White. Gotta write this fodder down! Filling in as I go.

7 wire J box:

IN> White = Ground 8 ga ................... OUT> Black 4 ga ..........TO> Frame
      IN> Black = Battery Charge 8 ga ........OUT> Red 8 ga ............TO> Tongue box Battery
      IN> Yellow = Left turn.......................... OUT> Yellow ...............TO> Left Turn
      IN> Red = Aux.................................... OUT> White...................TO> Reverse
      IN> Green = Right turn........................ OUT> Green..................TO> Right turn
      IN> Brown = Running/tail/tag.............. OUT> Brown .................TO> Running/tail/tag
      IN> Blue 14 ga = Electric brakes ....... OUT> Blue 14 ga ...........TO> Brakes

Tongue box:
      115v 2 bank 20 amp smart battery charger> 110Ah Magm Dual batteries =220Ah
      2000w power inverter>
      Solar battery controller/charger>
      12 circuit 12v Bluesea fuse block>
      100 amp circuit breakers x2> Fuse block /Fridge
      100 amp safety switch x2> Fuse block / Fridge
      100 amp fuse> Tow rig Alt charge wire
      120v outlet for battery charger/inverter, w/cable door

Tongue box out:
      100 amp breaker- Red 4 ga...........To> 12v Fridge/Freezer
      4 awg grounds (2 ea)..................To> Frame
      Control Panel:
      Breaker # 1..................................To>Roof 18W Led pods (4ea)
      Breaker #2...................................To>Undercarriage 10W Led pods (4 ea)
      Breaker #3...................................To>Awning Led power
      Breaker #4...................................To>Main box Led Dome lights
      Breaker #5...................................To>Side doors power
      Breaker #6...................................To>Rear door power
      Breaker #7...................................To>T-box usb port
      Breaker #8...................................To>T-box 2000w inverter
      Breaker #9...................................To>T-box 12v outlet for 1mil CP handheld spotlight
      Breaker #10.................................To>open

Front Compartment:

Main compartment:

Left & Right side boxes:

Roof:

Undercarriage:

Tent:

Awning:

Last edited: September 15, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Not much spare time to work on this thing over the last week. Too hot and humid, to want to work on it much either.

Got strap points welded on all 4 corners of the trailer, etching primer, and some simple rattle can paint for now.

strap mount etch primed.jpg
      strap mount temp painted.jpg

Mounted and wired up the J-box. Had to remove the tongue box for this. Yay! (not). Cable is strapped to the top of the tongue rail for safety, tucked under the expanded metal, and ran to the box. Box is mounted to the 1/4" AR plate, and grounded to the frame via 4 ga, Out wires come back thru the expanded metal, where eventually will be tied into everything, and ran inside some 3/4" flex conduit.

7 pin wire mounted on tongue beam.jpg
      7 pin wire tucked under expanded.jpg
      J box mounted.jpg

Decided to do a mock up of the interior 1/2" electrical conduit. Glad I did, as I need to make some changes. Have to replace all the 90* elbows with gradual 90* sweep corners, and 1/2" J-box's. Reason being, is fishing the wires past those 90* corners, will be a PITA, even with a flat fish tape. I could make it work, and put the conduit together as I run the wires, but if I want to add a circuit down the road, it would have to come apart. Meh...

I am going to wait until the temps are bearable to be working inside this thing. Pretty sure I am going to install a vent fan. I didn't think of the interior temps until I was laying inside this thing, and felt like a a turkey in the oven.

conduit mock up.jpg

Until next time,..... don't forget to tip your Banana mechanic.

4. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Rain day!! With today's gully washer, I had some free time from work. Stuck inside, I quickly wrapped up my paperwork for the day, and headed out to the shop. Hello Beautiful!! Heh heh heh....

Anywho... I picked up a few things from the hardware store the other day, and threw them on the trailer. The objective was to get wiring from the tongue box, and the tow pigs wiring J-box underneath, safely into the main box. Sounds simple enough.

If you have been following along, and remember the details, I made this tongue box to swivel out, for spare tire access. It is nice and close to the tire (1" space), and utilizes the square footing, as all real estate on this thing, is at a premium. This means, the plumbing, has to be able to move with the T-box, as it swivels, yet stay securely in place.

The choice was made, over many burgers flipped on the grill, to use flex conduit, and watertight connectors. I had 1/2" stuff for this bought a long time ago, but after figuring out the amount of wires being used, and the mix of gauges used, I needed to go bigger. 3/4" is used. Doesn't seem like a 1/4" is much different, but it is 50% larger in the I.D.

Locations marked, and 1" holes was drilled with a step bit. Irwin step bit, not that cheap chinesium HF crap. Only the best for my baby!

This is one of the watertight connectors. It has a nice rubber O-ring to seal with, and a NPT grab spanner nut to clamp with. After the flex line is inserted where you want, the collar is hand tightened.

Watertight connector.jpg

I ran two lines into the box. The choice was made to have the junction inside the box, rather than on top of the tongue. Making the junction outside would have meant a clunky 3/4" 3-way J-box and very short flex lines, making it a tight fit, and I needed a loose fit for the swivel. Not to mention the raidus sweep for fishing lines. Wait.. crap, I mentioned it.

Both lines installed. Line coming out of the T-box will power all accessories. It had to be ran inboard a bit, to make the swivel angle when pulled on. Line coming from under the tongue, will power the trailer lights from the tow pig 7 wire box, plus the aux battery charge line. This line will be looped back from inside the trailer. Was the only blah point of this set up. Can't have everything man! The flex is strapped to the tongue tight, but loose to the t-box. Just needs a little play to move freely when the box is swiveled out. Straps will get paint eventually. Haven't decided if I want to bother with the PVC or not, as it will be a maintenance deal, once done.

Flex conduit installed to both boxes.jpg

Into the T-box, above the shelf, where all the lines will be coming from the devices mounted there.

Flex into tongue box.jpg
      Into the main box, where the junction will be made, and plumbed from there.

Flex into main box.jpg

The Milwaukee Inkzall markers are made from octopus ass ink or something, it is hard to remove! I ran out of denatured alcohol, and 93% rubbing alcohol was useless. Everything else I have is too volatile to use, as it will eat the paint off.

Until next time..... Remember to send your wife's OBGYN a thank you card. It's a dirty job, but that's why they make the big bucks!

Last edited: August 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I know how that goes, the brake cleaner and carb cleaner or too much for some things. Find some prepsol, a solvent for prepping paint/body work. I have a little left, and it works well for glue etc, but it won't melt plastic like brake cleaner can with some plastics.

6. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I have grease & wax remover I use for paint prep, it didn't touch this Milwaukee ink. Telling ya, it's alien juice!

7. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Okay, go get the carb spray! Don't.

• Like Like x 1
    8. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Can't wait until the first freeze. I can't take these Apache sized Skeeters any longer!

Pulled the wires for the J-box into the trailer, and buttoned that up finally. This meant I was ready to see if my plans worked or was a big fail with the swiveling T-box. Started this box months ago, so yeah, was kind of a big moment for me. With sweaty palms, and held breath, I swung it out to full lock.

Success! Look at, would ya just look at it? I mean, just look at that!

Swung to the Pass side

T box swung Pass side.jpg

View from the Dr side

T-box swung Dr side.jpg

Ok, so after I began breathing normal again, I wrestled the 35" MTR into place. Got the theft slower downer dealio on too.

Spare on.jpg
      Tire is a bit dirty you say? No problem, on goes the Best Top cover. Closed the T-box, and it moved ever so nicely, smooth as a baby's bottom. Locked it down, and checked the clearance. Perfect! This train is Chooching now!

spare tire cover on.jpg

But wait! There's more!

Stood back and just let the view soak in. Had to wipe some tears of joy away, before the neighbors seen me.

Jerry can on.jpg

Really starting to look like something real now. :)

• Like Like x 3
    9. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I love it.

For the bugs, do you have any cordless fans yet? I hate the skeeters, they love me, so I have a big fan at home I use while outside near the garage. I bought a Makita 18v fan last year that works great for portable use, anywhere away from home. Makita DCF300Z 18V LXT Cordless 13" Job Site Fan, Tool Only

10. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I have looked at the Rigid portable, and want it badly. I already have a bunch of the newer style Rigid 18v tools, with a bunch of batteries, and a couple chargers. Matter of fact, one of them chargers, is being mounted inside the tongue box.

I just do my best to move the 20" shop fan around as I work, but could use a bigger unit or another like it, to help. I do miss the 24" shop fan that recently died, that thing kicked ass for well over 10 yrs, before all the shop debris clogged the motor, and kilt it.

I'm also a skeeter magnet. 5 mins and some dime size welts all over. Hate it.

Last edited: September 1, 2018
    11. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Took advantage of the Chinesium store, Labor day sale with the coupons.

2500 # ATV winch, synnthetic rope swap, and wireless. Snatch block, straps and shackles (already own) will be stowed away.
      This will be used for multiple things, and the big one, is to slide the ass end of the trailer, in the event of a tight turn to sharp to make the bend.

Making it removable with a hitch adapter I will build for it, and I happen to have a smaller group 28 MAGM battery for it, that can be mounted inside the trailer, and charged by a 3 bank charger in the T-box.

It will also double to assist in install/removal of the Roof Top Tent (RTT). This was cheaper than getting the 1500# chain lift for the rafters, that was planned for, and this takes care of that, when needed.

trailer winch.jpg
      $95 out the door!!

12. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      So with this Sunday feeling like a Saturday, thanks to Labor day, on Monday, I spent the day, in a Daze.

Was actually needing something to do just for fun, and this little winch project was just the thing. I started on it yesterday, and finished it today, and really had that giggity feeling afterwards. It turned out great, and even though it was a silly little project, it made me smile pretty good anyways.

Started out by rummaging through the scrap pile for materials, and found everything I needed. A foot of 2"x2"x1/4" sq, a couple feet of 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" sq, a foot of 1-1/2"x1/8" angle, and a 6"x6"x1/4" plate, two feet of 1/4" rod, and it was game on!

Copying the measures from another hitch, I cut, and drilled the 2"sq. Then used the winch mounting plate to make another plate with the 1/4" plate. Drilled some bolt holes, by getting my punch marks using the winch plate. Found center, and welded them together, making a few passes of diff weld beads, (Fill, stitch, C pass), looks goofy, but I wanted it as strong as a 110v welder could make it. Let this cool, self etch prime, and a couple black top coats. Let sit overnight, until well done.

winch hitch mount 1.jpg Winch hitch mount 2.jpg

This morning, I woke up suburbia at 7:30 am with the Dewalt metal chopsaw. Not my fault, EF was down this morning. What's a guy to do when that happens? :dunno: cut up everything and then mocked it up, to mark bolt holes for drilling. Tacked it all together, made some fine tune adjustments, then burned it in. Quick clean with the flap disc, and the usual paint job. Forgot to eat breakfast, and it was lunch time. Pause for grub/drinks, and cold A/C in the hacienda.

Paint dried, so time to bolt it all together. Winch to the 2"sq hitch tube, then the cage and control box. Route and secure the wiring, and bam, this baby winch project is mostly done.

winch bolted 1.jpg
      winch bolted 2.jpg

Didn't feel like pulling the trailer out, to test fit it on, so I just used the tow pigs hitch receiver. This is where I got to chuckling. :D

winch mock mounted 1.jpg
      winch mock mounted 2.jpg

It's just so damn stinking cute! :laugh: Since this winch comes with nothing to mount the control box, and it being made portable, plus stored away in the trailer when not in use, This was my answer, and it needed some protection too. The entire thing weighs about 20 lbs.

I will swap the synthetic rope and fairlead after I use the cable setup to get the RTT mounted. Thinking of just using one of those contained battery boxes to mount the 3rd battery in the main compartment. If I don't like that idea (which I am having 2nd thoughts on), I can use a new set of 8 ga jumper cables, and use a set of HD quick connector's to the winch, and crimp on some copper lugs for the battery terminals in the tongue box. No rush for this, and I have time to think on it.

So that's it for this weekend, I will be back at it again over the week. Enjoy Labor day y'all! And remember, using self checkout lanes, steals jobs, and the price is the same, with you doing the work. Wait in line, and flirt with the cashier, she needs her job! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    13. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Wiring. Ugh.

Managed to get the trailer brake, reverse, and marker lights on over the weekend. Many body contortions, and a sore back resulted.

Side box marker lights installed underneath (out of harms way), and interior wiring under bottom shelf. Supply line goes through the main box walls, under the box, and up into the bottom of the box with grommets. Since the boxes are bolted to the trailer frame, the ground is added to the box frame.

side box marker light.jpg
      side box marker light wiring.jpg

Gave up on using all pvc conduit. Just used some here and there. Too much to deal with, and not enough patience. Lol I used wire looms and junction boxes where the wires go to vertical. Adding the wires for other items will be a bit of an ordeal, but shouldn't be to bad. All the hangers are stainless and rubber.

main box junction boxes.jpg

Made a pc of conduit for the brake wire. Made it on the table, then bolted it on, underneath.

20180910_134027.jpg 20180910_133948.jpg

Wire loom, and tape from this to the backside of the hubs.

To take the tension off the wire loom, I made a spring thing a ma Bob. Still have to finish wrapping the loom, and add a wire cable to the loom for a pull stop. (will add that pic here later)

Made with stainless steel shhtufffs...

trailer brake loom springs.jpg

Installed...

trailer brake loom install 2.jpg

Wires are inboard a few inches. Picture makes them look like they are closer to the tire.

Last edited: September 12, 2018
    14. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Before I tackle the major job, of building the inside of the Tongue box, I have to finish up a few things to the box itself first. Never ends it seems.

So after many many hours searching the innerbewbs, and getting Glaucoma from staring at the idiot box screen, I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I compromised. I wanted a couple small 2.5" vents for the box, to let battery gasses escape. That and heat relief. I wanted them to be stainless to match the build. No dice. I went to a boat store, and found some 4" flush mount stainless vents. These had a 3" vent hole. close enough. The largest hole saw I have is 2.5", so only 1/4" smaller hole at the vent opening.

Out came the template making tools.

tbox vent install kit.jpg

Using a ruler & torpedo level, I got the template set in place, and the 5 pilot holes drilled, for each vent. Then the nerve racking task of drilling a huge hole into freshly painted metal. (nail biter man)

t box vent hole cut.jpg

See the new marker light? :D

Then installed the vents temporarily. Had to make the holes right for the bolts.

SS 4 in vent installed tbox.jpg

I will make some rubber gaskets for under them, on the outside, and figure a good way to add some no see-um bug screen to the inside. I had to add them to the sides of the box, instead of behind the box, like I wanted. To do them behind, I would have had to remove the box from the trailer completely. There just wasn't room for the drill/hole saw bit, between this box, and the main box, or inside the box. That task, just didn't sound too appealing to me tonight. If they do leak, I can add a clam shell cover to them.

The next items to add is going to take a 2" & 3.5" hole saw, and I have to buy that 3.5" sucker still. These things aren't cheap for a one time use man! Jeebus H!

A couple more smaller holes for some cable glands, and then I can add the grounds to the trailer frame.

Still shopping for an inverter to add. I want a 2000w or 3000w unit, with a remote power switch. Now everybody keeps telling me to get a Pure sine wave unit, as I will need it. I just don't see why to be honest. I do not take laptops or Televisions with me camping. I have a smart phone to use if I really needed it. So I think a modified sine wave unit will work just fine for me to make a pot of coffee, or running some string lights. The price difference in a mod to pure is huge. I can get a very good 2kw or 3kw unit for almost half the cost. I am eyeballing one with bluetooth, and can operate it from your cell phone at over 100 ft away. I can turn on/off lights while in bed in the tent with it. LOL!

Stay tuned folks. I hope your getting something out of this thread. It takes a lot of time to keep track of the build like this, but sharing is caring, and I hope somebody, finds something, useful here someday.

Last edited: September 12, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    15. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      It's all great Greg, every bit of it is interesting in some way. You are going way beyond typical, but doing it yourself allows you to work in anything you might think of. Keep it up, everyone loves it I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
    16. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Thanks Don. Being this is the first time doing this, I am figuring out most of it as I go, with a lot of research/brainstorming, for finer detailed items. There are a lot of build threads, but not many actually go into details on how things was accomplished, just finished pictures, leaving you wondering how things came to be. Most of this build has been dreamed up in my head, some items are modified from others builds, and some are a combination of items proven to be worthy.

Bulk stuff like the frame, pictures and dimensions are good enough to figure, but the smaller detailed items are not so easy to figure by just looking at. My goal is to not only share, but to help others interested in either building one, or adding certain items. It also helps me with a time frame and jogging my memory. CRS syndrome is a real thing. lol I will link this thread to places that see a lot of traffic with like minded people, once done. Might get a bunch of new EF supporters out of it. The overlanding scene is blowing up right now. Vehicle manufacturers have noticed, and are rolling off specific models, targeting this scene. It's just going to keep growing. Laws are being made to handle the influx of the ever increasing numbers on the trails, and BLM lands. Those 2 items alone, speaks volumes to the growth of this recreational interest. Overseas companies are now exporting to us here, and new dealers are popping up all over, coast to coast. The lack of interest in this thread here, just shows me, there is a niche to fill on EF. Perspective: I can post one picture of this build on a well known overland site, and get hundreds of likes/responses in a matter of hours.

Anywho.....I still have a few items to fabricate and paint for this thing. Getting to the point where I can get measures for them, to actually build is frustrating.Those items are holding back other items. It's a vicious cycle. But, it is what it is.

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Picked up the 3.5" hole saw after work, and gotter done.

The battery charger will have a dedicated inboard plug in, by using the NOCO GCP1 AC port plug. Hooking up the charger will be as simple as plugging in a cord to the back of the box.

The Inverter will have it's own cord pass thru, via a cable hatch port. This port is also on the back, and above the AC port plug.

Both on the Passenger side, where the tent entrance is. A cord can be ran up to the tent, and enter via a built in cord port, which will be handy for lights, space heater, whatever.

First hole to cut was the bigger 3.5". Man that was a bear. 95 rpm's on the drill in low range, and when it grabs, it could break an arm. Then after centering and spacing the smaller 2" hole directly below, it was cut. So much easier, but still.... ack! This side of the box I was able to drill behind, as I swung the box out fully on it's pivot. :D

Holes cut and screw holes drilled.

holes cut for cord mounts.jpg

The NOCO came with a nice rubber gasket and port plug, to seal it up with. The cable hatch came with some clay like putty sealant. It is stiff, but soft enough to work with. I molded it around the port body, and the outer flange. After screwing it on, it formed itself nicely, and pushed into the hole, in the box. Screws went thru it, and sealed around them too.

gasket clay seal.jpg

Installed and opened for your viewing pleasure.

Installed cord mounts open.jpg

The cable hatch lid closes very tight, and has a window door that slides up/down. Simply shut it, after you run a cord thru it to keep the elements & nature out of your junk.

That little job took me a few hours to knock out, and you can't even see them. They are hidden behind the tongue box, black like the box, and without searching for them, you wouldn't even notice them. I dig it man, like gnarly dude.

I was tired and ready for dinner, at this point. Twas a long day. Left the cleanup for tomorrow. Man what a mess that makes. lol

18. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Skeeters said I was having too much fun, and ran me back inside. Evil little bastages. I think they have given me West Nile Montazuma Bill Buckner drops the ball Zika Virus, by now. :crazy:

Too hot to close the overhead and work, and the fan just doesn't cut it right now. Might have to put on a haz mat suit, and a painters spray hood, just to work outside, until these demons die off. Aggravating to say the least. They be stealing my chooch!

The T-box internal build has begun!

T box batteries installed.jpg

I just need to get a few circuits ran into the main trailer box, so I can place the wires and drill holes for them. Once those are set, I will take a break from the wiring, to begin fabricating some custom stufffffs. Need to get them built, and painted before old man winter shows, and won't let me paint outside anymore. I have all winter to build the interior cabin up, and I will need it. The Items/Parts going in there, will take time to pay for, one at a time at that!

Might start a Gofudgeyourself account, to help out here. :D

The service industry is rough for everybody. Don't forget to tip your waiters, bartenders, and hookums. :smokin:

• Like Like x 1
    19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Keep at it when you can.

I am curious, can you hear your mosquitoes at all? Here they are so tiny and quiet, I only hear them when they are right at my ear. Up in Minnesota I remember those you could hear from far enough away to react to them before they bit you. Here I get bitten 2-3 times before I realize there are a bunch around me. I love dragon flies and bats, raise some of those as house pets.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      They are repellent resistant ninjas here. These have black stripes on them, and hit stinger first.

They was in my ears, up my nose, and getting in my eyes behind my glasses. I surrendered and skedaddle back inside, to fetch the anti itch lotion.

I need to get one or those propane type skeeter killing dealios, or something. All the rains of late, just made it worse here. Going to look for some bug repellant lotion for my face. I can't spray that stuff as it gets in my eyes, and burns like a mofo.

C'mon winter!!

21. allmyEXes

allmyEXes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      No. Alabama USA
      '97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
      Callsign:
      KAGG 3611
      Your 25K tiny house is looking good ! Skeeters... I thought it was just a local problem that I was having with them these past few days. They are so big that you can see the stripes you are referring to. They remind me of the old video game "Galaga" the way they attack in squadron groups. Everyday this week around 4 p.m. at my shop they become relentless.
      All kidding aside the custom heavy duty trailer is looking great ! You might consider a "skeeter" repelling system for it...
      By the way, mosquitos are attracted to the color black :shoot:

• Like Like x 1
    22. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Thanks! Appreciate the kudos.

One of those bug juice fog machines, could work I guess. Turn on the disco ball, crank some Bee Jee's, and have a skeeter death party.

Besides the color black, and C02 emitted, the females just find me attractive, and cant' get enough. I literally have to shoo them away.

23. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      luckily the weather here has been so dry not many skeeters but we really need the water
      roscoe

• Like Like x 1
    24. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Spent 8 hours inside this T box today.

My new favorite hand tool. Fortney hammer lug crimp tool. I went through a bag of lugs today.

Fortney lug crimper.jpg

Hard to tell all I did, as the shelf covers a lot of the work in the pic below. Will keep at it tomorrow, and wire up the main control panel, and ground the system to the frame. Trailer will be energized by tomorrow afternoon!

t box wiring progress 1.jpg

The 2 bank, 20 amp smart charger, will be doing it's thing when I finish up. The spot to the right of the shelf, is where the inverter is being mounted. You can see the 2/0 cables clamped to the shelf, already hooked to the batteries.

There are two 100 amp breakers. 1 is for the fuse panel, that will be connected to the control panel, and the panel has individual breakers. I think that system is safe! lol The other 100 amp breaker is used for the fridge/freezer, with it's own ON/OFF safety switch in the main compartment.

The 100 amp fuse, is used for the battery charge line coming from the tow rigs Alternator. The block of wood in the box was just used for a base for the 4x4, to hammer a few lugs. Meant to take it out for the pic, but forgot. Whoopsie frigging do....

All wires that are not part of the battery connections, are inside the flex conduit, and hung with hangers under the shelf, so not touching the batteries.

3 days to wire this thing so far, will have 90% of it done with 1 more day, and I still have to run circuits into the trailer box. If I did this work for a living, I would starve to death. I think I am just that slow at it. lol

• Like Like x 1
    25. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That's all great, it's very tedious to do complicated car wiring. Take breaks to not get too bored, and go slow. That stuff you want to be perfect and all secure, hunting wiring issues can be really PITA as you know.

• Like Like x 1
    26. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Your following the tow rigs thread Don, so you know what I have had to deal with in the past, and now the new issues at hand. I am writing everything down, using as many color wires as I can, keeping systems organized, and circuits as cleanly ran as possible. I added J- boxes in the trailer, just so I can run an issue down, and repair it faster if one should arise. So Yeah..... I'm with you 100% here.