List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Ford is not denying it is their fault. It's a manufacturing defect that is their fault. If it involved the safety of the vehicle, there would be a recall and they would fix it for free. As is, they are picking up a portion of the cost to repair when they don't have to. Mine included a new hood and $500 out of pocket. Their cost on the hood is $700 and then the cost to paint and put on. $1,100-$1,200 total.

Ford will argue they are doing some great favor for a vehicle out of warranty. I will argue it is one symptom of a shoddy manufacturing process in regards to fit and finish. It's a manufacturing defect and in essence is $500 added to the price I negotiated for and bough the vehicle for.

Throw in the third row water leak through the improperly sealed roof rack, the exterior panels not lining up, and the interior panels not lining up on a lot of Ex's (including mine) and I see shoddy work a lot of owners are complaining about.

Ford admits it's their fault, yet customers are on the tab for a portion of the fix???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford admits it's their fault, yet customers are on the tab for a portion of the fix???
It's really no different than many of the other issues on which there are long threads and where owners are lucky to get any compensation once the warranty is up.

Peter

My mom had a 2011 Explorer Limited that had some pretty bad bubbling on the center front edge of the hood as well.

My 2012 Ford Explorer hood also rusting where it latches

My 2012 Ford Explorer also has rust bubbling along the edge of the hood where it latches closed. I noticed 1 small area of paint has lifted now. The rest of my truck looks beautiful. I did buy the Permaplate protection on my vehicle but I don't know if that is still in effect. This sucks - my vehicle has never been outside of Florida. I'm just now researching the issue. Is Ford Corporate handling the defect ? I can't figure out how to upload my pics !

Julie Hopson
St Pete FL

My 2012 Ford Explorer also has rust bubbling along the edge of the hood where it latches closed. I noticed 1 small area of paint has lifted now. The rest of my truck looks beautiful. I did buy the Permaplate protection on my vehicle but I don't know if that is still in effect. This sucks - my vehicle has never been outside of Florida. I'm just now researching the issue. Is Ford Corporate handling the defect ? I can't figure out how to upload my pics !

Julie Hopson
St Pete FL
To see how to post pictures check out the New Members Introduction thread, 'Sticky' section, or spend $20 for an Elite membership and help support this site and the yo can upload right from your computer etc. and your pictures won't eventually disappear.
As for how Ford is or is not handling this issue, the posts in this thread should answer that.

Peter

Peter

Uh Oh... sounds like the 2002s all over again... good luck. Is the hood aluminium?

To clarify, there is no rust on the hood, its aluminum, corrosion yes, rust no.

FWIW, which is absolutely nothing, our 2012 Dodge Caravan has the same issue on the very front edge of the hood, also aluminum. Chrysler won't do anything about it. As with others there is no chip, crack or anything that occurred that would have caused this. We are in a northern climate but the Caravan is garaged all winter as we are gone from December through April so it is not exposed to salt or other things that might be contributing to this.

If this is such a problem with aluminum body panels how in the world will Ford deal with it on the new pickups where the whole vehicle is aluminum?

Has anyone ever talked to a Dupont, PPG or paint expert on exactly what causes this?

To clarify, there is no rust on the hood, its aluminum, corrosion yes, rust no.

FWIW, which is absolutely nothing, our 2012 Dodge Caravan has the same issue on the very front edge of the hood, also aluminum. Chrysler won't do anything about it. As with others there is no chip, crack or anything that occurred that would have caused this. We are in a northern climate but the Caravan is garaged all winter as we are gone from December through April so it is not exposed to salt or other things that might be contributing to this.

If this is such a problem with aluminum body panels how in the world will Ford deal with it on the new pickups where the whole vehicle is aluminum?

Has anyone ever talked to a Dupont, PPG or paint expert on exactly what causes this?
There have been posts that the issue is due to impurities in the aluminum. If that is the case I wonder why the bubbling seems to be only along the front edge of the hood? Also, if is a 'bonding' issue (paint to aluminum), then the same question applies. I doubt the front edge of the hood is treated any differently then the rest of it. I doubt it is a paint issue since the bubbling is caused by the corrosion under it. Why are some affected while others are not?

Peter

There have been posts that the issue is due to impurities in the aluminum. If that is the case I wonder why the bubbling seems to be only along the front edge of the hood? Also, if is a 'bonding' issue (paint to aluminum), then the same question applies. I doubt the front edge of the hood is treated any differently then the rest of it. I doubt it is a paint issue since the bubbling is caused by the corrosion under it. Why are some affected while others are not?

Peter

The reason it starts at the front lip is because when it rains water gets in the underside of the front lip between the aluminum lip and the rubber grommet when it rains and stays there. It takes a long time to dry in there up against the underside of the lip and the underside of the lip on my 2011 had just has one base coat of primer as opposed to primer, paint and clear - so that area is prone to corrode and the corrosion then creeps to the upper side of the lip even with it having a full paint job there.

When my hood was replaced and repainted, the body shop did a full prime/paint/clear under the lip in the hopes that works as others have had their hood repainted and the problem comes back.

I'm hoping that between a new hood that I would hope is properly anodized so the aluminum does not corrode easily and with a full paint job under the lip that it holds up, but I am still more than annoyed I had to pay $500 to fix this on a 4 year old vehicle with only 32k miles on it at the time. This corrosion has been documented under the lip on less than 2 year old Ex's. Total fail by Ford.

2013 Ford Explorer Hood Erosion

:thumbdwn:I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with 46,000 miles. I have noticed the paint bubbling along the rim of the hood. Took to Ford and they sent me for an estimate, saying to me there have been issues withe erosion on the aluminum hood. Went for estimate and they said they have seen this issue before and the entire hood needs replacing. We purchased the clear coat and extended warranty when we purchased the 2013 brand new. NOW Ford wants to only pay 70% and me 30%. WHAT? This vehicle is garaged all the time UNLESS I am away from home, shopping, etc.
I paid over $40,000 for a vehicle that SHOULD hold up and not be told the hood is aluminum and therefore defects are happening. DEFECTS? You sold me a vehicle and my belief was ALL PARTS of it were of UPSTANDING QUALITY!
NOW I find out that is NOT true and I MUST PAY?
Wow and to think I Just left the Ford Dealership over a week ago and picked out what I want in a new vehicle and got a quote on SPECIAL ORDER that was going to take me 6 weeks to get. NOT HAPPENING. I am so furious right now.
Extended warranty and clear coating this vehicle means nothing, when it comes to this issue. WHY should I have to pay a penny when I was sold something defective?
Am I being treated this way because I am a recent widow of a few weeks and my husband is no longer here to argue the issue?
We HAVE been a Ford family for 42 years, might be time to move on. Some of the End Of The Year offers from competitors, are looking pretty good today. Time to go shopping.
I do not feel like, I should have to pay anything to repair a defect part that was sold to me as Ford Tough.

By searching the forum, you will see this is a more common issue (the corrosion/paint) and i would engage the Ford Customer Service team on here.

BTW - sorry for your loss.

:thumbdwn:I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with 46,000 miles. I have noticed the paint bubbling along the rim of the hood. Took to Ford and they sent me for an estimate, saying to me there have been issues withe erosion on the aluminum hood. Went for estimate and they said they have seen this issue before and the entire hood needs replacing. We purchased the clear coat and extended warranty when we purchased the 2013 brand new. NOW Ford wants to only pay 70% and me 30%. WHAT? This vehicle is garaged all the time UNLESS I am away from home, shopping, etc.
I paid over $40,000 for a vehicle that SHOULD hold up and not be told the hood is aluminum and therefore defects are happening. DEFECTS? You sold me a vehicle and my belief was ALL PARTS of it were of UPSTANDING QUALITY!
Wow and to think I Just left the Ford Dealership over a week ago and picked out what I want in a new vehicle and got a quote on SPECIAL ORDER that was going to take me 6 weeks to get. NOT HAPPENING. I am so furious right now.
Extended warranty and clear coating this vehicle means nothing, when it comes to this issue. WHY should I have to pay a penny when I was sold something defective?
Am I being treated this way because I am a recent widow of a few weeks and my husband is no longer here to argue the issue?
We HAVE been a Ford family for 42 years, might be time to move on. Some of the End Of The Year offers from competitors, are looking pretty good today. Time to go shopping.
I do not feel like, I should have to pay anything to repair a defect part that was sold to me as Ford Tough.

You mentioned you purchased the clear coat...are you referring to a 3M or equivalent type film that is applied afterwards?

I'm going to follow this thread, as my 2013 XLT has paint bubbles all over the hood, not just the rims.

Curious to know if Ford offers any kind of relief for this.

You mentioned you purchased the clear coat...are you referring to a 3M or equivalent type film that is applied afterwards?

He probably is. It's a sealant that will last several years, but the problem is this generally starts under the hood and creeps up.

A long thread all ready out there to merge this one with. I've made my comments having dealt with this issue and paying for it too.

You are in a bind because if you try and sell the vehicle as you know you are ripping someone off with a bad hood if they don't pick up on it and nobody will buy it with disclosure.

So you put $500 into Ford's portion like I did, and now it's hard to sell a vehicle you just invested $500 in, but you are left with a real bad taste in your mouth.

I moved your thread into the current thread that goes into great length on the subject you are complaining about.

No need to use capitals like that when talking to members.. we all understand your point. Fact is, bumper to bumper is 3yr/36k and that is for bumper to bumper defects which you fall outside of. Not sure why you are even throwing in the passing of your husband like Ford would know this and deliberately pass you off because of it. Come on now...

The fact that Ford is wiling to pay 70% is more then many on here have received outside of warranty since again, Ford owes you nothing. Now granted they should step up and take care of this... just saying that they have ZERO obligation to do so.

Now granted they should step up and take care of this... just saying that they have ZERO obligation to do so.

Legally they have no obligation.

Ethically, morally and as a good business practice they do - which is why they are stepping forward with something, but this is still not the type of defect buyers expect to see in a vehicle at all and to have to shell out for.

blwnsmoke

I moved your thread into the current thread that goes into great length on the subject you are complaining about.

No need to use capitals like that when talking to members.. we all understand your point. Fact is, bumper to bumper is 3yr/36k and that is for bumper to bumper defects which you fall outside of. Not sure why you are even throwing in the passing of your husband like Ford would know this and deliberately pass you off because of it. Come on now...

The fact that Ford is wiling to pay 70% is more then many on here have received outside of warranty since again, Ford owes you nothing. Now granted they should step up and take care of this... just saying that they have ZERO obligation to do so.

Ahhh blwnsmoke, yes your right FORD does not know my husband past last month but the dealership and service department DO KNOW. I was just there preparing to buy a new vehicle but could not get all that I wanted unless I ordered and wait six weeks for delivery. I said no problem, I can wait. Then I got called away from home and intended to order the vehicle this week. Now this. So it isn't going to happen. Ford Tough, means nothing to me now.
You don't sell someone something for 40+ thousand dollars with defective parts and then NOT make it right. Especially after me purchasing the extended warranty and being a customer of theirs for 42 years, with numerous purchases. Every 3-5 years, a new car/truck/crossover or SUV.
Excuse the capital letters but I am furious.
I purchased the extended warranty that cost me nearly $2,000. Ford put a hood on my vehicle that is defective under paint. They should fully make it right. So forget the 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper.

Ahhh blwnsmoke, yes your right FORD does not know my husband past last month but the dealership and service department DO KNOW. I was just there preparing to buy a new vehicle but could not get all that I wanted unless I ordered and wait six weeks for delivery. I said no problem, I can wait. Then I got called away from home and intended to order the vehicle this week. Now this. So it isn't going to happen. Ford Tough, means nothing to me now.
You don't sell someone something for 40+ thousand dollars with defective parts and then NOT make it right. Especially after me purchasing the extended warranty and being a customer of theirs for 42 years, with numerous purchases. Every 3-5 years, a new car/truck/crossover or SUV.
Excuse the capital letters but I am furious.
I purchased the extended warranty that cost me nearly $2,000. Ford put a hood on my vehicle that is defective under paint. They should fully make it right. So forget the 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper.

I think everyone would be angry in this situation, I/we get that. My point is, there is a warranty to cover defects and yours falls outside the warranty. Despite that, Ford is still offering to pay 70% of a new hood. Fortunately they are offering a new hood and not a repaint like many others.

I don't see this as being any worse then a PTU seal failure, fuel pump failure, sensor failure, alternator failure etc. A defect is a defect and that is what a warranty is for. As far as the ESP goes, the ESP clearly states that it does not cover paint/corrosion issues so although frustrating for you.. it is clear and one can't be angry that an ESP doesn't cover something except to be angry at yourself for not knowing or reading the coverage.

I'm not defending Ford in this.. I think it is an issue (albeit a small one) and I'm watching the F150s closely to see if issues arise being they are all aluminum (some mustangs have had the same issues in the past). I'm just looking at it fairly from both sides and someone who doesn't have an issue can. Ford I believe is close to selling over 1 million of the 5th gen explorers if not passed it by now and if there were 200 hoods that needed to be redone (probably more.. mine has bubbles but nothing serious and no cracked paint so I don't do anything about it after 85,000 miles), that is a .0002% defect rate. I also believe that Ford doesn't know which ones are defective because they don't catch it till it actually starts happening.

Either way, best of luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.

Fix it. My dad has a 13 explorer with the same problem and it spread to about a foot of chipped off paint. It'l get a lot worse really fast if you don't take care of it. Also, it should be free for them to fix it, so why wouldn't you do it?

Back