Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm,
My favorite pick and pull just took in a rolled v8 mounty.

Going out there to see what I can do about that.

Jon,
Step away from the tools.. Your not done with Vitamin D yet. You can't pick up another project yet. :D

~Mark

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hmm,

I'll be glad to pay you for the hood latch if it's in tack. I can't find Exploers or Mountaineer's around me to save my :mattmoon: And I'm damn sure not paying $90 for one from LMC.

Hmm,

You're going to need a bigger oven.

Buy the V-8 and stab it in there :)

Buy the V-8 and stab it in there :)

Well, I just bought 2 fine leather front seats,

Annnnd the entire drive train plus all wiring and PCM. engine to rear axle is mine

I got it for such a low price I don't even want to tell you for fear you guys will raid the place.

ok, 250 for all of it. I need to raise some quick cash.

Dan it was rolled but I think the hood latch is there.

Oh Gawd! Here we go again! :p:

For the price, and considering we needed new seats anyway-I thought it good to have as an "option" when the A4LD dies.

I think you need to have a good old fashioned Amish build over a weekend and construct a nice size parts shed out back. One with full wrap around shelving from floor to ceiling, exhaust fan, and a winch on an I-beam extending out the front door.

This way the shop can be used as a shop, not Jons part warehouse. :)

I got a couple hammers, and a roll of duct tape, lets do this! lol

The little metal dealios that hold the leafs springs in line are called "Speed clips" and I want to know why.

I finally got the leaf packs assembled. I added one f150 "thin" leaf and the bottom spring to my pack and got 2" more of arch.

We had some rain come through and it lowered the temps off real nice. So, I am going to get my kid to help me get these leafs back in. They are quite a bit heavier now also I might add.

Ok adding the f150 leafs into the pack is just what this truck needed. Now the sliders sit level, the truck is level side to side, and, the ride is way better. I was expecting to get pounded, but it seems the weaker springs were just loosing control.

So, I took it for a dirt road test drive, and re toqued the new u bolts to 70 ft lbs. Then I headed for the higway and went to the pick and pull

Bad news-

I could not get techieman33's rear trim piece because the bolts were rusty and turned off --and I ate dirt trying
:(

The Mounty is a 97 with non p internal egr engine. I was hoping to get a 98 version of the 4404 for Matts truck out of the deal-prefer to have the internal egr p heads, and therefore backed out of buying the package. I did secure a deal for the rear axle for rangrayy though.

Good news. I did get Danwhitaker's 97 hood latch, I scored the pair of leather power Mounty seats for 40 bux , and, I found a nice little relay box with relays for my lighting.

If anyone wants the mounty for it's drive train minus the axle let me know because This is a pretty good deal. Someone is calling for the heads and I got 3 days to give him an answer before they start hacking.

Truck has 170k miles. The yard will charge about 100 bux to pull the engine and trans for you--but you better get there first to save the wiring harness.
This was a rollover and has a good grill, and, the rear bumper with red lights in it looks to be saveable

but that is about it as far as exterior goes.

Edit
in looking thru the car I saw evidence of prior wheel stud snapping off, The broken ones are in the glove box with a reciept for repairs.

Looking at the passenger side front hub, I saw snapped bolts--and have to wonder if someone used cheap hubs at one point and this is what caused the rollover. Just an observation.

That's still a great deal for a full GT40 302, the trans too.

Which trim part do you need Eric? I need to get to my one good salvage yard soon. I can check too.

Ah, I can help with that. Recall that I have the XP8 rear bumper cover. I'll have to remove those trim pieces soon to mount the bumper cover. Would you like both of them, PM me?

Well, the springs needed a road trip to settle them in, and, I had a bunch of powder coated parts for ped5stang,

so we took a little drive to Lawrence KS.

The truck drives better with the "new" leaves, but to be honest has a severe power--speed issue. It does not seem to like anything over 60 mph, and has a hard time holding that, without downshifting.

I am thinking the gears, but have reservations. Something isn't right.
Dr SVO suggested I switch back to the stock MAF and I think I may do this.

Going over some things in my head--
Sheri complained the floor board felt hot on her side--
The truck had been sitting a long long time
Run with cracked head--oil and water burning

And the truck seems to have bursts of speed and slow mo

So, I am having the cat converter replaced in an hour. :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will help.

Look at the "spun" style converters. Physically, they are much smaller. Also, look into moving it some. We moved ours quite a bit back, still works great (clean-ish emissions) and we got it away from things that didn't like the heat and its now protected by one of the skid plates.

~Mark

Back