metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine

thermohousing

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 mustang v6
Metal thermostat housing are coming soon for the 2005+ v6 ford engines. I am just letting you know they will be available very soon. Let me know if you would be interested in one. The neck over the thermostat itself will also be available in metal! No more blown themostat housings!!! Yeah !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming you are selling these, and if so you need to PM Rick about becoming a vendor

Sweet, that should take some abuse.

I would be interested in one as well.

The explorer ones are not ready yet, only mustang units. The lower housings are the same, but with only one hole machined. The upper cover housing (above the thermostat) is different. Its shorter and has a slight upper angle. I will have them ready for the explorer soon.

photo?

Please post a photo of the Mustang thermostat housing. I am adding a M90 supercharger to my 2000 Explorer and may need the lower profile housing.

2 sensor unit not yet available

I've been corresponding with Jonathan Simmons who is the one developing the housings. He said that the Explorer lower housing units with the holes for two clip in sensors will soon be available. The hole just needs to be drilled. I'm planning on trying one out. The upper thermostat cover for the Explorer is not yet available but after installing my supercharger that should be easier to replace.

That's good to hear.. I saw it was out and thought maybe explorers got forgotten again (it happens)..

So, I guess the short answer is.. its out for mustangs, but not for explorer's yet.

~Mark

Perfect timing. I'll be doing my thermo/ water pump soon. Pm me these are available.

Sport Trac single sensor

I just learned from a link posted on another thread that a 2004 Sport Trac with the SOHC V6 only has one sensor in the lower thermostat housing. It is the clip in (not screw in type) sensor. Does anyone have access to electrical drawings that show how the single sensor provides engine coolant temperature to the PCM and drives the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster? I would like to convert to a single sensor metal housing if possible.

digital instrument cluster

Thanks for the link to the wiring diagrams. The Sport Trac has a digital instrument cluster instead of an analog which mine has. It receives the engine coolant temperature from the PCM. I didn't find a diagram showing the PCM but I assume that the engine coolant temperature sensor feeds the PCM which relays the information via the SCP bus to the instrument cluster. That's not something I can implement so I guess I'm stuck with the two sensor system. After reflecting on the new system I think I prefer having a dumb analog indicator vs a smart digital one for something as critical as engine temperature display.

noticed this post was started over a year ago, so is this available or what?

interface not display

2004-2005 ST only has digital ODO and trip ODO displays. All gauges are analog, including the ECT gauge.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/~WO5P27/~MUS~LEN/36/05p27og3e.pdf

I was mainly referring to the interface for the signal source to the instrument cluster and not the actual display of information. According to the drawing the engine coolant temperature information is transmitted from the PCM to the instrument cluster microprocessor via the SCP (OBDII) bus. I assume the PCM has an analog interface (analog to digital converter) to receive and interpret the signal from the actual ECT sensor. The microprocessor in the instrument cluster converts the digital data from the PCM into an analog signal (digital to analog converter) to display the data.

With my Sport the signal from the ECT sender is connected directly to a gauge (meter) in the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster is totally analog with no SCP bus interface. Thanks again for the links to the drawings and manual.

I probably could build a signal converter that changes the electrical characteristics of the ECT sensor to simulate the ECT sender output to drive my indicator but it take some effort and would be less reliable than the separate sensor. The two sensor housing should be available in a month which shouldn't delay my supercharger installation considering my slow progress.

Wow, very interested in the dual sensor screw in type!!! If I have to modify, don't care, my third housing has just started to let go again.

Will be watching, eager to throw money at this brilliant idea to actually use a material that isn't plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, very interested in the dual sensor screw in type!!! If I have to modify, don't care, my third housing has just started to let go again.
Don't see any reason why the new aluminum housing wouldn't work. Appears the three upper thermostat housing
holes will need enlarging, and you will have to reuse the plastic upper until the new aluminum one becomes available.
You will need the new style push in ECT sensor and gauge sender with the dealer only retaining clips. See link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

Back