PCM tuning package? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM tuning package?

I found a post on a Mustang forum by an SCT tuner that stated all remote tune files sent to customers are encrypted so they can't be read. So I would have to start from scratch for my M90 tune.

True, but the person who did your tuning CAN send you an un-encrypted version, if they want to. My view: You paid for that tune. You shouldn't have to lose it. Especially if you buy the Pro-Racer Package from the same SCT Dealer who did your prior tuning; I think they really owe it to you to give you access to the tune you already PAID for, so you can just tweak and fine tune from there. Why would you "reward" that person with MORE of your money (by buying the PRP from them), just for the "privilege" of essentially losing the tune you already paid for, the work YOU put into developing that tune with them, as well as potentially making your vehicle undriveable until you figure out a whole new tune on your own? If they absolutely would not give it to you, then I would make a point of letting them know they lost the sale for the PRP, and any future business because of it. You can always just by the PRP package from another dealer, or SCT directly.

I also read that the dealer SCT Advantage software has a lot more capabilities than the single use Advantage software. ........
I've read that too. However, if you look on SCT website;
http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=43&VID=

It states:
Pro Level Control over your vehicle's PCM
SCT's single PCM Pro Racer & Enthusiast Custom Tuning Software gives you COMPLETE CONTROL of your vehicle's PCM and allows you to custom tune and tweak your own vehicle's power & performance.

Tune Like the Pros with SCT's Pro Racer Package
SCT's Pro Racer Tuning Package includes a single PCM version of SCT's Advantage III Custom Tuning software. This is the same custom tuning software used by professional custom tuners worldwide!"

The underline/red is my added emphasis. This "wording" has been there for years. The point being, if you find that you're PRP software is, in any way limited/locked/restricted/ or of reduced functionality, as compared to the dealer Advantage III software, with the exception of only working on a single PCM, then it is false advertising and fraud on the part of SCT. I would call them up and demand they either unlock those "restricted" capabilities, or be sued. I would thjink they would just give you the access, about as quick as their fingers could fly over the keyboard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disabling PATS

I understand that I can disable PATS once I've "married" my X3 to a PCM, transferred the stock strategy to my PC via the X3, modified the strategy with Advantage III to disable PATS, and then reprogrammed the PCM with the disabled PATS file. If that was done before my PCM failed that wouldn't affect the replacement PCM in any way. My concern is that if I swap the PCM with a spare that has the stock strategy I will need an unmarried X3 to make an image of the strategy. To do that with my existing X3 I would have to return my current PCM to stock which may not be possible if it has failed (the whole reason for having a spare). Even if I have a second unmarried X3 to retrieve the stock tune of the spare PCM, I would have to transfer my Advantage III license to another VIN or purchase a second vehicle license to alter the stock tune. I don't know if I would have to read something from the spare PCM in order to transfer the license or purchase a second license. I don't know if PATS will allow me to read the tune when the ignition keys aren't recognized by the PCM as valid. I know that the PCM will communicate over the OBD II port when an invalid key is in the ignition and switched on since that is the way the PCM "learns" the identity of a new PATS key.

Whether or not I can program a spare PCM with the same tune as I'll eventually have from James for my M90, I'll still need a spare PCM if my current one fails. I just can't think of an inexpensive way to determine if the spare is any good nor a way to program it in advance so I can just swap it out. I would like to read a procedure written by SCT for replacing a failed PCM containing a custom tune with another PCM with a stock tune and upgrading that PCM to the custom tune.

In my 6 month effort to get my car running I ended up with two PCM's. James duplicated his original PATS disable program to work with the newer unit and that is what is running at the moment as the problem(s) were other than the PCM. I, therefore, have two programs available for loading into two PCM's. The problem with the X3 is that only one PCM can have a delivered modification at a time. You have to restore the first modified unit to factory before you can modify the second.

I have this same question before James at the moment as I too would like to have two fully functional PCM's available to swap. The concern being that if a PCM simply fails your are SOL because you cannot restore it to the original strategy in order to load the other PCM.

TwEECer datalogging?

TwEECer advertises real-time presentation of pararmeters capability. I haven't yet downloaded the user manual and read it. Tom, do you happen to know if datalogging to a file is possible? In my opinion, there are too many things that need to be monitored to depend on real-time displays. When I'm on the dynamometer it's about all I can do just to watch the air/fuel ratio and the test operator in case he signals me to "shut-down" for a blown tire or something. I depend on the 6250 rpm rev limiter to protect my engine. I spend a lot of time at home analyzing data logs looking at ignition advance, knock sensor retard, IAT and ECT, fuel trims, etc. I found that it's also important to record A/F ratios and display them integrated with the PCM data. I'll be using the X3 second analog channel to record fuel pressure.

I don't know nothing about data logging to a file on the X3.

I have done that on an entirely different car to an Excel file but not with the X3. Neat capability! I was able to see the TCM fail to dump the torque converter lock up pressure on a computer commanded downshift. Clearly identified the TCM as the problem instead of using the parts cannon.

TwEECeR not X3

Tom, my question was regarding the capabilities of the TwEECeR not the SCT X3. I'm very familiar with datalogging using the X3. You mentioned you had the TwEECeR manual, I thought maybe you knew about its datalogging capacity.

I didn't even have to pull the connector:
View attachment 77727
CDE4 agrees with the entry in the second table for the first 5 digits of my strategy. Part number is XL2F-12A650-ME. According to ebay listings same part number was used on 1999 thru 2001 Explorers. I found one for $40 plus $10 shipping. Having a back up is probably a wise decision. However, I have to deal with PATS. Is $50 a decent price?

According to OBDTester.com:
XL2F-12A650-ME/CDE4 > YU2F-12A650-AFA/HWG0 > YU2F-12A650-AFB/HWG1 > XU7A-12A650-CAA/????

basically I got the stock tune file(Qaac5) from a Ford Website or the old WDS. I loaded it onto a programmable green card for the NGS. I obtained a cable that hooks up to the NGS and it will program the PCM with out the vehicle.
I am working a double tomorrow, I will look into it some more when I get some brain function back.....

switch chip?

. . . I have this same question before James at the moment as I too would like to have two fully functional PCM's available to swap. The concern being that if a PCM simply fails your are SOL because you cannot restore it to the original strategy in order to load the other PCM.

I guess this problem can be avoided by using the switch chip since the PCM load is never altered. I'd still need the X3 to datalog but I could use it on both vehicles. So my costs would be the Advantage III Pro Racer + chip burner $698), + 2nd vehicle license for the 4 door ($?), + switch chip ($269). That's a total of $967 not including the second license.

Frankly, I don't like adding another device to the PCM from a reliability standpoint. As I recall there were some problems when the custom tune chips first came out. Also, I don't like opening up the PCM to modify it. I prefer flash tuning via the OBD II port. Maybe I could send the spare PCM to Henson Performance and let him program in the duplicate tune.

You can score an SCT for under $120 if you look and wait. I want the software too. Unlocked tuning is demanded by any true enthusiast.

Switch chip

Switch Chips can fall out ruining the PCM and Chip, if not secured properly.
Also there is a question of fit at the back of the pcm where it would be installed.
I would love to score a working SCT X3 for 120.00!

married Powerflash

I've been watching SCT Powerflashes on ebay for about a month. Unmarried X3s with 2 or more unlocks remaining typically go for $250 or more. The ones under $200 are usually married (associated vehicle not returned to stock tune)and must be returned to SCT for reprogramming (another $130).

I'm going to contact SCT technical support about the programmed spare PCM issue. James is very good at performance tuning. I don't know his level of expertise on the SCT software protection. I had an X3/laptop/PCM compatibility issue about two years ago that wasn't corrected by performing software updates. I called SCT technical support who suggested numerous things to try but didn't work. Eventually I found a person who was very knowledgeable. I allowed him to remotely login to my laptop with the X3 connected to the USB port. I watched him fly thru files on my laptop and then into the X3 and in about 15 minutes he had my problem fixed.

Let me know if you figure out how to get both loaded. I have discussed with James but got no commitment that he could or would do that. I am going to drive over to Hueytown sometime shortly for some on-site tuning and education with him.

My engine/trans only has 11k miles and the '82 Volvo is fully rebuilt from brakes to suspension to paint so it could last another 32 years. I suspect that hard parts will be around for a long time but as these electronics age they may get harder and harder to find/repair. Capacitors seem to be the first to go due to age as much as use.

My plans are to vacuum seal the second PCM and keep it with the car.

Initial SCT response & mine

To: "dclinbeard"
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:50 AM
Subject: RE: Website Information/Support Request

You can program one of your vehicles then pay the $150 unlock service fee to have the device unlocked so you can then program your vehicle or another vehicle again

Greetings Kenard,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess that would work but it's not very practical. My goal is to load a duplicate custom tune into the spare PCM I've purchased in case the existing PCM fails. If I pay the $150 to have my X3 unmarried so I can program the spare PCM then I've lost the capability to update my existing PCM. It would cost me $300 every time I pay Henson Performance $150 to update my tune: $150 to switch the X3 back to the original PCM for tune development; and $150 to switch to the spare to duplicate the updated tune in the spare PCM. I would be better off (less delays and cheaper) buying a second X3 to dedicate to the spare PCM.

The switch chip is a possible solution (since the PCM firmware is not actually modified) but I would have to purchase a chip burner, I question the mechanical and electrical reliability of the installation, it's more convenient to flash tune than chip tune, and I don't know if the chip burner will interface to my laptop for remote tuning. I know that it interfaces with the Advantage III Pro Racer software package.

Regards, Dale

It sounds like your looking for a solution to a problem that may never exist. PCM failure is not a common problem in 2nd gen Explorers, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. You are no more likely to suffer a sudden failure, leaving you stranded, then any of the stock 2nd gen Explorers running around, and you don't see many people carrying spare pcm's with them.

Still, if you really feel the need, then wait until you are done tinkering, and have a good solid tune developed. Then, return your "primary" pcm back to stock, install your "backup" pcm, in the vehicle, install your solid, driveable tune into it. Now, mail your X3 back to SCT one time, to have it unlocked. In the meantime, you can drive around on the backup pcm. When the X3 comes back unlocked, remove the "tuned" backup pcm from the vehicle and put it away safely. Now you can put your "stock" primary pcm back in, and re-install whatever tunes you like.

With this, you will have a useable/driveable programmed pcm in the closet. It will only cost the 1 unlock fee. Granted, in the future, in the unlikely event of a pcm failure, your X3 would not work with that backup pcm, without an additional unlock, but thats only if you need it.

If you are really that certain, or at least concerned, that you WILL have a pcm failure, then you might as well just buy a 2nd X3 for the 2nd pcm, as the cost of the 2 "unlocks" + shipping + downtime would add up to more then just buying a 2nd X3. But, again, I think its a massive amount of unnecessary overkill. You have the "extra" pcm off ebay. Hang on to it. If you do need it later, you can still get everything working with minimal downtime.

Also, let's say you do none of this, and later your PCM fails completely..... From what I understand, or at least what I've read on the support forum in the past, SCT will work with you and possibly not charge an unlock fee. They may need some sort of proof that your old pcm is actually "dead".

buy a 2nd X3

I received another response from Kenard:

"You are correct. Getting a second tuner would be the best option. I misread the prior email thinking you wanted to tune one vehicle and leave the tune on the vehicle. My apologies. For the Through Advantage you can build tunes but to store your stock tune all you need to do is program the vehicle then select Get Stock File From Device in the SCT Device Update Software with your device connected to your PC.

When you program with an SCT Device, the device saves a copy of your stock file to later return your vehicle to stock but you could also save a copy of this stock file which you could not use but we here at SCT can use this file to build you a stock file for your vehicle if needed"

One of the first things I did when I purchased my X3 was to copy the stock strategy from the X3 unto a disk drive in case the X3 went bad. I suggest that everyone with an X3 do the same. I'll continue watching for an X3 bargain to use with my spare PCM or with a future 4 door Explorer.

My issue driving the desire for a back-up PCM is that I have an engine swap requiring disabling PATS. It would be 'start all over' including a new X3 if the current PCM failed . . . or a SCT reset as mentioned.

Not even the local Ford dealer with a brand new PCM could get it running.

While I am sure their diagnostic system is perfectly capable of doing the PATS disable they have no documentation or knowledge on the subject.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Response from Sniper/Delta Force Tuning

I sent the following to Delta Force Tuning:

"I am looking for a tuning package for two vehicles: a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with the 4.0L SOHC V6 and a 2000 Explorer XLT with the same engine. I want the capability to flash the PCM for each vehicle via the OBD II port with no other modifications to the PCM. I spent some time reviewing the products offerred on your website but was unable to determine which packages I need and the cost. It appears the flash version of your Special Forces tuning kit ($420) allows programming two different vehicles with different tunes. Does the kit include and OBD II interface adapter and cable? If not, what is that capability called and how much does it cost? Does your kit allow datalogging to a PC PCM parameters via the OBD II port? Does it provide the capability to datalog analog signals such as a wideband air/fuel ratio meter output? Will your software execute correctly on a lenovo laptop running Windows 7?"

I received the response today but I'm prohibited from disclosing it because it's considered confidential. In my opinion that's an unacceptable company attitude.

Anyway, there is a good possibility that they sell a Commando tuning package for $679 that allows control of PCM parameters with flash programming for one PCM. They may sell the equivalent capability for a second vehicle's PCM for $295 more. It should be able to monitor PCM parameters. I don't know if it will record them to a file. I do know that it will not monitor or record any analog signals such as air/fuel ratio data. And I don't know if it will execute on a current PC processor with a current PC operating system. They have an older product (which I won't name) that sells for $420 that includes another software package with PCM data logging capability that only executes on 32 bit operating system.

My assessment is that one company with a product was bought out by another company and they have not yet integrated or updated their products. I definitely don't want to be dependent on a company with an unstable product that may be dropped.

Back