Question about possible fuel pressure issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about possible fuel pressure issue.

Kobalt

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hello all!

To start out, my 2002 XLT's fuel gauge had not worked for years. And occasionally it would have some trouble starting. It would try to turn over but would not start until after about three tries. But that was rare.

So I changed the fuel pump and sending unit. My gas gauge works and reads correctly most of the time. Although sometimes it says that I have more gas than I really do. I can handle that for now, but ever since we changed the fuel pump and sending unit, you have to try to turn the engine over about 3 or 4 times before it will start. Or you can turn the ignition key to on and turn it off about three times to prime the fuel pump to get it to start.

So I think I know that problem, but I am clueless on what to do to fix it. It is a fuel pressure issue and how would I go about fixing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank yall so much!

The fuel pump/sender module you put in is most likely defective. There is a check valve in the unit that is supposed to maintain a certain amount of pressure in the system when the engine is shut down. If the check valve is not working it allows all the fuel to drain back into the tank.

Back