• Register Today It's free!

rear repair bearing install ?

baddriver

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 XLT
I am replacing my rear wheel bearings with "repair bearings". The instructions say to install with the seal on the outside but it seems there is a seal on both sides of the bearing.

Due to the built in o-ring that runs along the diameter, it seems the protruding seal faces inward.
http://imgur.com/a/tu3ZZ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only way it appears to make sense is with the black seal inward. this would stop the gear oil from leaking into the bearing (which is sealed and permanently greased) from around the axel. The “O” ring prevents oil from leaking between the bearing and the axel housing. By the way be sure to clean up the crud from the end of the axel housing before you install the bearing or it will leak and fail prematurely.

that was my assumption too.. and yes, i did not do a very good job of cleaning the axle housing. I really appreciate your feedback

Rubber seal (1177) towards the axle.

seal_rear.png

your welcome. oh, one other bit of advise. put some grease on the lip of the black seal so that it doesn't run dry and burn when you first start driving on it. a little oil or grease on the "O" ring should also help it go in easier.

Back