thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats the problem, it dosent pull you down. Think about it, he said "in a rollover." What happens in a rollover, you are upside down and falling toward the roof. Since the harness isnt pulling you down into your seat while rightside up it dosent stop you from falling a short bit if you roll. WHen you fall you are suddenly jerked to a stop when you do hit the top straps and in the process you compress your spine.

Honestly, you have no need for the 5 point and IMO it looks really, really, ghetto. (That isnt the right word for it but im being nice)

Hell, if you like it and dont give a rip then run it. But thats just my .02

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Your height doesnt have much to do with it. You dont want the shoulder belts holding you down, only the lap belt. The shoulder belts are only there to keep you against the seat. With the shoulder belt attachment point that low, the shoulder belts will pull down on your shoulders in a rollover and compress your spine. It doesnt take much of a force in that way to mess you up permanently, or kill you.

Please understand, im not trying to be a know-it-all dick about this, but the way you have them mounted is HIGHLY dangerous. Its no biggie, its an honest mistake. :)

The general rule of thumb is to have the shoulder harness attached 0-4" below the top of your shoulders. No more than 4" below that imaginary line.

Attachments

• big_up5pt.gif
    big_up5pt.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 264

the lap belt keeps me down....like you guys said....the shoulder straps only limit my lateral and foward motion....i gotta strap in and get someone to take pics....either way it better that stock seat belts right?

dana 60 is comming home soon...after further in spection all i needs is 2 calipers and one rotor...everything is rebuilt....and was already done this deal gets better and better...But they dont have 4.10 like i was told...its 3.55s baby...but any thing is better than these damn 3.27 the ex came with...

your keeping the 3.55's? With what, 31's? :p:

no, till i get money...if and when the axle swap is done, im rockin bald 245/70/16 till i get money for tires and gears...

no, till i get money...if and when the axle swap is done, im rockin bald 245/70/16 till i get money for tires and gears...

and a new carrier :( unless ur sticking with 4:10 which wouldn't be low enough

i thought they(gear companies) made "thick" gears for the numerically < 4.10 carriers?

thats what im hoping...id really like electric locker in the front and a spool in the rear...and 5.13s....

if your getting an electric locker that replaces the carrier anyways so you wont have to worry about it.

ARB, OX, Electtrac and Eteched all replace the carrier as do full detriot lockers.

Same with a full spool.

this i know but i was gunna just go lockrights but if i need new carriers then i might as well go all out

got my dana 60 home.... all it needs is a pinion seal, a rotor and two calipers....every thing else was just replaced...so after that all i need is time,steel, ubolts, springs and oil..and she can go in.

aussie lockers get my vote, cheaper and stronger than lockwrongs, customer support is top notch. I installed mine in a hair under 2hrs.

thanks is there a tire size limitation? like the lock wrongs...haha?

thats awsome...but i cant find one for sterling 10.25....or the 60 suprisingly....

I couldn't find an aussie for a 60 either. I still don't know what i'm doing for lockers. i have 3.55's so i think i will probly replace the carriers with full carrier lockers, but there are so many combos. rear spool/front detroit is winning so far, but last week it was lock rites front and rear. before that it was detroit rear and ox front(then i decided 1600 was too much to spend on lockers right now)

Are there many options for lockers on the sterling? I'm curious what you and 97v8 choose to do.

spooled/ lincon locked is the way to go for the rear, you dont notice it over an automatic locker at all. so much cheaper and stronger.

OX gets my vote up front, but maybe aussie dosent make a 60 yet.

OX's are very sweet... and they should be for 900-1000 bones. and thats the reason not alot of people have them.

Back