thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bought some u-bolts an used an old leaf spring to see where it would sit and its at 24 and a half inches from the bottom of the leaf spring to the ground....stock is like 9 and a half......wow......

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

bought some u-bolts an used an old leaf spring to see where it would sit and its at 24 and a half inches from the bottom of the leaf spring to the ground....stock is like 9 and a half......wow......

that doesnt seem right at all, im going to measure mine tommorow. that just seems huge. are you on lift blocks?

I agree with snoboarder

4 inch block... came with the axles so why not...( I know the deal ...wheel hop blah blah..)...mines at like 10-1/2 with 32s...ill get a pic soon

yea but not with 44s and a race built 460....snapped a dana 60 rear axle like a toothpick...but a 4.0 on one ton...im not concerned...

i concider soon more than 2 days...lol i gotta find my camera...

ok i was so happy the other day and mis read the tape measure...its only 23-1/2 inches:(

man! this thread is awesome! mudbug, you said you were a junior in high school right? i might have to fly you out to california to help me build my next project!
good luck on the rest of your build!
check out my poll by the way........
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193773

so i got some metal so im gunn slowly start building my front suspension...all i need is leaf springs and i can get serious about it...the rear is an hour long bolt up job due to my adventure over spring break. my twin i beam needs wheel bearings....rorors....baljoints...coils....tierods.... basicly its tired.....and cheaper to put the d60 in at this point....

so i got five feet of 4x4x1/4 squar tubing for nadda and its gunna be my rear spring hanger....and pics as promised....

DSCN0781.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

yes this is a five gallon jerry can
DSCN0785.jpg

the u bolts with a pack of smokes to compare to
DSCN0786.jpg

the square tube
DSCN0789.jpg

so i rolled my dana 60 in front of my truck at whats should be the future ride height and this is what I got....
DSCN0832.jpg

its like 10 inches wider on each side so i gotta cut up some barrels or something forfender flares....

should look good. I like the barrel idea for fender flares. if five oh doesnt like my new setup and i need to get fender coverage, i might just use that idea.

and is that a lift block on the front axle?

yes the block is on the front but its only so i could use the leaf to help hold / line up the 60 its set up like this tho....axle, spring,block, ubolt plate... at least i can get some kinda idea with a spring in their as far as width/lenght of the hangers....

so what should i do for brake lines...? the rear wil be ok but the front....if i used the stock ones but moved the hardline mount from its current location to say parralell with the caliper at ride height would it work? like for example...if the hose was 14 inches long....and i has 12 inches of wheel travel from ride height to full droop and 24 inches from full droop too full stuff it would work correct?

run the flexible part of your line along the leaf from the rear mounting point. then just run a hardline from the spring perch. the hardlines will just move with the axle itself.

then how am i gunna turn?

Back