1992 Axle Replacement (Ryan Penner) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Axle Replacement (Ryan Penner)

I parked my truck in my garage over a year ago. I parked it in the garage knowing that my front D35 balljoints and maybe even the wheel bearings were shot once again. Well why bother with replacing the wheel bearings AGAIN, with something that just doesn't work. So I ditched both the axles. Then fast forward to now.... :) I have a HD D44 that I have NOT started to put in, but will be doing so here within the next few months as I gather the parts. For the rear I have a Chevy Corp 14 bolt that I just had installed this last weekend. The shock mounts are not in yet but will get there once I figure out what I want to do there. I am running both axles fullwidth both have 4.11/4.10 gears in them (For now). This is a very slow buildup and I don't know when I will get the next progress parts peices done... :)

Here is a teaser pic... :)

Attachments

• rear end.jpg
    rear end.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 351

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good, keep us updated

wes

rpenner54 said:
I am running both axles fullwidth
My favorite part in the paragraph! :chug:

Good luck man, cant wait to see the coming pics.

Brian1 said:
14 Bolt...awesome! That is one of my favorite axles. Easier to setup your own gears, swap disc brakes onto and it is pure BEEF! Did the spring perches match up to the Explorer leafs?

No, I had to cut them off and re-weld them on a little bit closer together. Well I didn't weld them, one of my buddies did... :cool:

I probably will get disc brakes on it someday. I need/want to have a good e-brake too... :)

Here are some newest "mods". :confused:

HD D44 with the brackets just freshly ground off.

Radius arms off of who knows what.... LOL

The last of the stupid lift parts coming off the Ex! Bout time! LOL If you look at the pic you will notice that one of the parts that goes on the passenger side is broken, (Surprise!).

Right now I am attempting to figure out how I am going to bolt the radius arms on. They line up right with the transmission crossmember. I guess I have to make a new one eh??? :)

Attachments

• Image(25).jpg
    Image(25).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Image(26).jpg
    Image(26).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Image(27).jpg
    Image(27).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 291

Good luck with your project. www.rrorc.com has some good info on SAS'.

Good luck. How much lift are you gonna have???

I have no idea how much lift I will have. Hopefully not much... I want to keep the COG as low as possible. :)

good luck and i hope you have a good job it starts to add up quick. are you going to move the upper buckets out or the lower ones in? and if you plan on running anythin biger than 35s you are going to have to move the axle forward.

I will be moving the lower stuff in. I am not sure if I will move it forward any, I am possibly going to do that but that means I have to fab up some new coil /shock towers...

If you have ever seen my Explorer you will know that I am not shy when it comes to the body work... LOL BFH and sawzall do the job just fine...

are you going to re-use those radius arms? I did and added 11" onto them with an extension and heim joint. it = lots of flex and long arms that mount on a crossmember that replaced the transfer case skid plate.

ya you could do that. if i saw right your axle isnt the one with casted on wedges, so you could just slide it so the angle is right. just make shure the lower spring perches are level at ride stands.

Yup it's a HD D44 from a F250 that had the leaf spring perches on it. :D I took them off...

What do you mean level? Wouldn't they always be a bit angled?

I won't be making an extended arm, I would rather wrist it at some point in the future.

Back