CG's Ex in the McNeil Racing Bat Cave | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CG's Ex in the McNeil Racing Bat Cave

jobunn said:
Looking really good CG.
I too am going SOA hopefully in the next couple months.
So how much lift did your SOA give you? Are those stock springs? And which locker did you go with?

The lift hasn't been dialed in yet. After the front is back together, we are going to try to balance out the ride with the TT in front & moving stuff around in the back. From what I've seen on this site, usually SOA gives about 5" in the rear. I'm shooting for like 4" or less in the rear and 2.5" in the front...

Those are the stock springs back there now, I've got the Power Trax No-Slip up front and the Ected in the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
CG, can you tell me more about the bumper. Interested! I call dibs. That looks like Mad Mikes rear bumper! I wanted that one :nono: but it appers so one snagged it up!

Stic-o, the bumpers yours if you'd like it. I can even run it up to you the next time I come up. You can see the mounts we made for it in the pic below. We used these for the new bumper so you will have to fab something up.

We were able to raise it up about 1" and push it in about 3" from the picture of it mounted in the beginning of this thread. It looked much better then, but I had already picked up the new one & liked it better.

It's a dual swing bumper the right side has the tire mount and on the left side I was planning dual gas can holders. It closes in the middle and locks with a pin. We added the side parts & planned to run a support into the frame. It would be easy to cut them off if you didn't want to run them down the side.

One downside is the tolerance on the hinge for the tire swing is pretty loose & the tire wiggles back & forth. There are three fix's:

A. You could weld on an upright tube with another hinge on it and connect it over to the top by the tire (this is what I was going to do)
B. You can swap out a bigger (fatter) bolt
C. When you make your mounts, you can angle the bumper slightly back. This will allow you to get the bumper closer to the truck and still clear the rear wiper and the weight of the tire, leaning back will hold it firm.

Probably more, but I didn’t think too much about it.

Let me know...

Attachments

• a-rear-right.jpg
    a-rear-right.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 705
  • tj-rear-bump.jpg
    tj-rear-bump.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 663

CG Perfect! Do you know how thick it is? Don't worry I already have plans for it. I bought a tire carrier hinge from Rocklogic a while back to build a bumper. I want the side pieces! I will build mounts into the side for them. Just let me know when you can bring it up this way, so I have the money for it.

I think I just figured out how I will eventually mount my rear shocks :D I was trying to figure out a way to out board them on my ranger but now I see how to do it. Now I just need to get or find someone with a tube bender and bend up a couple of hoops. I like how it is turning out. Oh and if you find any front dana 60s for cheap I would be interested in one.

CG said:
Stic-o, the bumpers yours if you'd like it. I can even run it up to you the next time I come up. You can see the mounts we made for it in the pic below. We used these for the new bumper so you will have to fab something up.

We were able to raise it up about 1" and push it in about 3" from the picture of it mounted in the beginning of this thread. It looked much better then, but I had already picked up the new one & liked it better.

It's a dual swing bumper the right side has the tire mount and on the left side I was planning dual gas can holders. It closes in the middle and locks with a pin. We added the side parts & planned to run a support into the frame. It would be easy to cut them off if you didn't want to run them down the side.

One downside is the tolerance on the hinge for the tire swing is pretty loose & the tire wiggles back & forth. There are three fix's:

A. You could weld on an upright tube with another hinge on it and connect it over to the top by the tire (this is what I was going to do)
B. You can swap out a bigger (fatter) bolt
C. When you make your mounts, you can angle the bumper slightly back. This will allow you to get the bumper closer to the truck and still clear the rear wiper and the weight of the tire, leaning back will hold it firm.

Probably more, but I didn’t think too much about it.

Let me know...

So when can bring me the bumper! :D :bounce:

If my trucks done, I'm planning to come up mid next week. I should be able to bring it then. I'll either be able to deliver it to you or I might have to leave it at my friends house in Granada Hills, & you can pick it up from there... I'll know more next week...

The trucks comming along great, the front diffs back in and the new sides for the front bumper are on.

Attachments

• a-front-bump-working.jpg
    a-front-bump-working.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 685
  • a-front-bump-wings.jpg
    a-front-bump-wings.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 646

Here's a couple of the yellow Ex that rolled at Del Mar. Roll bar saved the day!

Attachments

• a-rolled-x-side.jpg
    a-rolled-x-side.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 720
  • a-rooled-x-front.jpg
    a-rooled-x-front.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 707

Its looking great sir. Very impressive. Would you mind checking what Perry would sell the right and left rear shock mounts for? I need these in a big way :)

CG how did they do the front bumper? did they just weld plates to the out side? Because now it looks like 1 piece vs. 2 welded together.

Let me know when find out whats good for you. I work in Culver City, if that helps at all.

I have already started making plans for the bumper. I think I may just get rid of the rear wiper, not like it work right anyway :rolleyes: not sur if I'll keep the tire mount either. I will probally add a mount for a gas can too.

12287new_rearbump.jpg

Trckmagik said:
Its looking great sir. Very impressive. Would you mind checking what Perry would sell the right and left rear shock mounts for? I need these in a big way :)

Thanks!

I'll find out some more info on the mounts. Here is a black 1st gen. Sport that has the SOA and the outer mounts and a brown 1st. gen. with the SOA, but they ran the shocks to the upper sway bar mount. The guy with the black Sport has had this set up for about 10 months & says it works great.

Attachments

• a-brown-1st-gen.jpg
    a-brown-1st-gen.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 638
  • a-black-shock-mount.jpg
    a-black-shock-mount.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 648
  • a-black-1st-gen.jpg
    a-black-1st-gen.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 632

Stic-o said:
CG how did they do the front bumper? did they just weld plates to the out side? Because now it looks like 1 piece vs. 2 welded together.

Let me know when find out whats good for you. I work in Culver City, if that helps at all.

I have already started making plans for the bumper. I think I may just get rid of the rear wiper, not like it work right anyway :rolleyes: not sur if I'll keep the tire mount either. I will probally add a mount for a gas can too.

12287new_rearbump.jpg

I like your ideas, you'll have a pretty cool bumper then :cool:

Here is a pic of the new front bumper painted and being fitted. The side wrap around pieces were made from 2x2's but it wasn't fitted right for the BL and didn't extend far enough out. We cut them off and made new ones from 2x5 I like how it looks now.

Attachments

• a-new-bump-painted.jpg
    a-new-bump-painted.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 640

CG said:
Thanks!

I'll find out some more info on the mounts. Here is a black 1st gen. Sport that has the SOA and the outer mounts and a brown 1st. gen. with the SOA, but they ran the shocks to the upper sway bar mount. The guy with the black Sport has had this set up for about 10 months & says it works great.

I noticed the Sport has a BII gas tank in it too! ;)

That looks soooooo nice now! Keeps getting better and better. :D

Thanks guys, we're getting there... :)

I’m always talking about my Safari Truck, on the way home from picking up the dogs from their haircut I saw this truck on the corner. You see a few of these down here, I don’t know what kind they are(Rover?), but I love these things!

Speaking of my dogs, everyone down here has Pit bulls and Rottweilers, so I went out & got two of the most savage beasties you can find! Just look at these killers, ready to rip the flesh off your bones! (they don’t call me the crazy white guy down here for nothing) :D

Attachments

• a-safari-truck.jpg
    a-safari-truck.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 627
  • a-dogs.jpg
    a-dogs.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 632
  • a-dogs-eat.jpg
    a-dogs-eat.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 618

Just for my enlightenment...what are the advantages of having the shocks outside the springs? I imagine it allows you to make the upper mount higher so you can get shocks with more travel but...I am not sure.

jobunn said:
Just for my enlightenment...what are the advantages of having the shocks outside the springs? I imagine it allows you to make the upper mount higher so you can get shocks with more travel but...I am not sure.

Makes it ride 10 times better! Look at the new F150's that's how they are mounted on the out side of the frame. Personally I'm not sure because, where these mounts are my tire goes in and rubs.

For me it just kind of evolved as a way to clean up the underside of the axle, with all the u-bolts and mounts hanging down there. The added benefit is increased stability with moving the tires out a bit with the spacers, and putting the shocks farther out. The shocks just dampen the movement of the springs & the further out they are from the pivot point, the more advantage they have.

I’m sure someone smarter than me (easy to do :D ) can explain it better; but it’s like a see saw, the closer you sit towards the middle, the faster the motion of the plank. But if you sit as far out as you can from the middle, the motion slows down & is easier to control with less energy. (My apologies to the engineers) Same principle works upside down as well, Spacing out the upper mounts will give the shocks more advantage in controlling body roll. I'm not sure to what degree we're talking about though...

Attachments

• seesaw.gif
    seesaw.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 545

When you find out a price on the shock mounts for the rear, post it up. I might be interested in a set too. :D

CG, the front bumper looks great :thumbsup:

CG said:
...The shocks just dampen the movement of the springs & the further out they are from the pivot point, the more advantage they have.
... it’s like a see saw, the closer you sit towards the middle, the faster the motion of the plank. But if you sit as far out as you can from the middle, the motion slows down & is easier to control with less energy.
Better explaination than I could have done. :thumbsup:
Also, by spacing them out on the axle they are more accuratly dampening their own side, rather than both shocks doing part of the work (and thereby affecting the tire that didn't need dampening), and will also help tremendously with body roll.

Stic-o said:
Personally I'm not sure because, where these mounts are my tire goes in and rubs.
Thats why he has to run wheel spacers.
Seeing as I already have wheel spacers installed and a tube bender, the wheels in my head are turning. If I can do this with my current shocks its SOO getting done soon. :cool: I think I'll need longer shocks though :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jefe said:
CG, the front bumper looks great :thumbsup:

Better explaination than I could have done. :thumbsup:
Also, by spacing them out on the axle they are more accuratly dampening their own side, rather than both shocks doing part of the work (and thereby affecting the tire that didn't need dampening), and will also help tremendously with body roll.

Thats why he has to run wheel spacers.
Seeing as I already have wheel spacers installed and a tube bender, the wheels in my head are turning. If I can do this with my current shocks its SOO getting done soon. :cool: I think I'll need longer shocks though :(

That's funny, I just added the part about it working upside down as well & controlling body roll...It was just a guess on my part so I'm glad you confirmed it :)

EDIT: Shocks: Luckily, when I ordered my rancho’s, I got extended ones for the rear. They are about 4” longer than the stock ones they offer for the Ex.

Back