thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2264606-21-05_0028.jpg

that one. i want to say its a century... but i dont think it is even that close to a name brand. i welded my bumper together with it, and it holds strong, but it made ugly welds and there isn't much force applied to my bumper. i'd rather use the 220 stick i have sitting in the garage.

edit: dont laught at the welding shield... it worked, but i have a new one now. miller auto darkening.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

2264606-21-05_0028.jpg

that one. i want to say its a century... but i dont think it is even that close to a name brand. i welded my bumper together with it, and it holds strong, but it made ugly welds and there isn't much force applied to my bumper. i'd rather use the 220 stick i have sitting in the garage.

edit: dont laught at the welding shield... it worked, but i have a new one now. miller auto darkening.

whatever works when ya need it!!...I got a miller auto here at work...I need to buy one for home and throw my cheapo harbor freight one in the trail truck..the miller I got is SUPER light and a dam nice helmet for $160!!

heres the link for my welder...it claimes you weld up to 1/8 inch but ive done up to 3/8 with good pen...BTW its 110 and flux cored;) ..as for the under welds its hard to hold the pipe up and get a good bead goin at the same time... http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24 ...heres the mask...http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24 I got this welder for christmas my freshman year...I was in a welding program (vo-tech) for about a week and found it useless...so I continued regular highschool...I am currently a junior and have welded an average of twice a week since I got the welder...so i guess ive got practice.

I just realized...if ur welding with that mask ur not gunna get a good bead...I prefer to use two hands and you cant when ur holding that mask....

i weld with 2 hands too(well you kind of have to with tig), but even with an actual hood, the beads still dont lay very nicely and penetrate like doodoo
22646mytruck60.jpg

welds from my 110 mig

IMG_0230.jpg

welds from my sliders that i made at school (tig and mig)that i have yet to put on the truck.... :( i need 220 at home damnit....

So when are you getting your front end?

Crank up the heat on that welder and maybe do some preheating for better penetration. You can also slow your wire speed down a bit.

well my brother started a motor swap in his 91 ranger back in september and hasnt touched it since thanks giving... its takin up the garage...im gunna pull it out with the ex the at end of may and have it scraped and then i will bring my dana 60 home and i will hopefully have the springs by then really plug away on this thing...it will be alot easier to do the front end in the garage...BTW the sterling is comming out and the 8.8 is going back in...this week was only mock up...plus while its out i can shave it, finish welding the shock mounts and spring perches and the rear also needs wheel cylinders...

Crank up the heat on that welder and maybe do some preheating for better penetration. You can also slow your wire speed down a bit.

X2 man....you dont have to pre heat tho...

I got a vintage 220 stick mantanance(sp) welder but im not gunna use it because i see no need really...if anything breakes, ill use it to build anothe hanger....

there are 4 settings. 2 line speed settings (fast and slow)(so if its like most other mig welders, that controls the amps), and 2 voltage settings(high and low). i set it on high line speed and high voltage, it really is the best setting for the welder. it just isnt a good welder, but for $5 at a garage sale, its not that bad i guess.

so, what would be a good driveline to back up these axle...302, blank, blank,60/10.25..want a 4spd granny tranny and a twinstick t-case...

c6, 203/205 doubler :D

You can get an NP435 tranny and 205 case out of mid-late 70's Ford trucks for dirt cheap. Then a 203/205 doubler is easy.

I heard the C6 is a monster and the c4 you can almost lift in place without a jack. if you dont care about overdrive, i'd say c4 over a c5 or c6. i think 410fortune has a c4 behind his 302 and he loves it except for not having overdrive.

what about an sm420, sm465(if I can find a bellhousing), or like a t-18....?

You can get an NP435 tranny and 205 case out of mid-late 70's Ford trucks for dirt cheap. Then a 203/205 doubler is easy.

whats needed for this as far as bellhousing and clutch?

what about an sm420, sm465(if I can find a bellhousing), or like a t-18....?
420/465 are GM transmissions... you wont be able to bolt them to a Ford motor. The t-18 is a good tranny, and can be found in the same years as the NP435.

whats needed for this as far as bellhousing and clutch?
Get any Ford windsor bellhousing stuff. The truck you pull a 435 from will more than likely have an FE or 351/400M motor. You can run the adapter and clutches from 3 speed 302 early Bronco. You can usually find this stuff dirt cheap. :)

wow thanks...that wont be for a nother year or so but you know how planning goes...as for the sas im gunna try to get more done on the front hanger and such ill take pics of the progress(if any)....Btw...did the IH scouts have a t-18? my buddies getting a 68 with alot of spare parts...

Yes, the Scouts ran a T18, but it has a different output. You will either have to find a Ford T18 to swap outputs with or run a Scout D20/D300 transfer case and a passenger drop frontend. I assume the Scout T18 would bolt to the Ford adapter but i really dont know. Either way, it would be 10x easier to stick with a Ford tranny/transfer case. You can find Ford NP435's and T18's in junkyards for next to nothing.

thanks....ALOT

Back