Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparation for SAS in 1999 Sport

I may have missed it, but did you put rear lift springs on also? 4 in and axle under with no body lift, thats what it looks like just checking. What size tires?

Thank you, looking great!!! I would go with 1st Gen Sport style steering box inside the frame rail, they work nicely... :)

Edit I found the tires, still not sure on springs looks like more than stock height with an axle under.

That is correct...I found a set of 4-door spings online for around $75 a set and am using those with a 2" shackle that was on there previously. I did this with the SOA on the Ford 9" rear axle.

I am starting to believe that everyone that uses the '79 Ford F-150 doesn't keep their AC...because it is going to be super tight in there if so...but I haven't really looked that deep into it just yet. If I don't use this box, then I am going with the 1st gen Ford or may go the Toyota route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I didn't get any pictures today. Was trying to make up some lost time. The arms were delayed another day and I was up at 4AM trying to intercept the FedEx guy...and got em!

It is officially a roller. I need to either brace/box/or gusset the frame where the radius arms mount on the frame. Kit worked perfect! I no longer need to build a cross member for the mounts. They hit the frame perfectly.

I need to get some pictures of it, but one thing that is bugging me now is the amount of upward travel I have. There seems to only be about 4-6 inches of it. I will get some pictures tomorrow. The plus side of that is that the Cage radius arms are virtually horizontal. Should handle great and have tons of droop. I got an add-a-leaf that I am debating putting in so that I can get a little more upward travel in the front. I need your guys thought please. The front axle went about 3" forward and looks great. Going to have to chop the front bumper temporarily, but will eventually build a full bumper.

Couple of questions:
1. Should I completely remove the ABS "manifold" and just run the lines directly to the master?
2. Is plating just the outer sections of the frame enough? I used some 1/4" plate i had laying around.

Nice, we will be out in Manitou Springs for about 2 weeks spending time with family out there, hoping to hit some kind of trail while there, but the family just text'd yesterday they got 4" more inches of snow.... should be a fun trip.

Nice, we will be out in Manitou Springs for about 2 weeks spending time with family out there, hoping to hit some kind of trail while there, but the family just text'd yesterday they got 4" more inches of snow.... should be a fun trip.

I am about 45 minutes south of where you will be. We may have to get together.

Here are the passenger and driver side plate jobs:

photobucket-14818-1323092846370.jpg

photobucket-3988-1323092877876.jpg

Here she is on her own fours. You can see how much the front axle went forward. Obviously gonna need to build a front bumper:

photobucket-14829-1323092896831.jpg

This picture depicts the limited upward travel that I will have. I need to fab up a new transmission cross member and that will give me a few more inches:

photobucket-4177-1323092919752.jpg

Here is the final on the plating shown from the driver's side:

photobucket-14843-1323092950429.jpg

Here is a shot from the front view. I just want to get in it and go ride! Don't mind the red Cummins in the back. It had some injector issues...

photobucket-3996-1323092968100.jpg

It doesn't look like I will have much time within the next few days/weeks to work on her...so I have occupied the little down time that I have reading about all of the other SAS's that have been done on here. It slowly comes up in the back of your mind that this will soon be more then you intended...i.e. roll cage, hydo, bumpers, on board air, etc. I want to do so many more things and will. Some of the guys on here are master minds! I will keep everyone updated.

P.S. Think I am going with the IFS Toyota steering box.

I'm going with the chevy van outer steering box.
for one of the reason you just mentioned, PCS makes a ram assist that adapts to a chevy steering box.
always have to think of the future modifications!

I'm going with the chevy van outer steering box.
for one of the reason you just mentioned, PCS makes a ram assist that adapts to a chevy steering box.
always have to think of the future modifications!

What year and model will that box come out of? Is it stronger then the yota box?

What are the strenght differences between this one and the 1979 F-150 box and even as compared to the yota box...if you happen to know? I would really like the use the F-150 box that I currently have, but then I will more then likely have to lose my AC.

well that's just it.

if you want to leave stuff on the truck where it is you have to come up with a different plan. the chevy box mounts to the outside of the frame.

I'm not sure how strong the yota box is compared to the chevy or ford box.

I went with the chevy box because it can be upgraded to ram assist with out having to get another box. you just get the upgrade kit, instead of the whole kit.

so then is it stronger than a chevy half ton box IZwack?

so then is it stronger than a chevy half ton box IZwack?
Not sure if its "stronger" per se in terms of durability -- but many people have ran the Toy IFS box. But the same thing can be said about the Chevy unit too since we see plenty of "big rigs" with bot steering boxes on the trails and magazines (example: the infamous "F-toy" configuration). I'm also not sure which is "stronger" is terms of force/torque output but that answer is partially dependent on the pump since the pump is the one that produces pressure.

So if it was me trying to decide which box to go with, I'd do a little bit more digging/research and, if after a while I still can't conclude which box is stronger than the other, then I'd pick the one that would make installation easier.

very good point!

or which one is available to you at the time I guess. since I already have the chevy box I know which way I'm going. LOL

I believe that going with the Toyota box, it would make life a ton easier. That Ford box I have is huge and know that it would hold up to what I am going to do for now, but I also know that the Toyota box would hold up and be a much easier install. If this was going to be a trail only ride...then I would have different thoughts. But it isn't there just yet.

P.S. IZwack...love the new build.

If any of you are running a doubler transfer case, can you tell me how much longer this unit is vs stock? I think I will have to lose my tank or modify it somehow, just dont know how much. I may have one of these setups found for a pretty good price. I may still do an Atlas depending on the added length. I am hoping to get back on the build this weekend. I want to have it "streetable" by the new year. Brakes, steering, and coil overs....should be rolling then. I know that there are going to be a ton a small things that come up that will delay everything, but I hope they are too bad!

just ran across this build, looks great. Subscribin

I know it has been a while since I have posted any progress. Been super crazy lately. On new years eve DAY (@ 930AM'ish), my shop was vandalized. Seven trucks and over $20K in damage and missing property. I just got word this past Thursday that they caught these guys and will be meeting with the Police dept. this week. This has been such a nightmare!

So this is where I currently stand. I found a toyota rag joint, need a straight pitman arm (any ideas on the cheapest place? The junk yards here are wiped out), and should be able to get the steering done. Once that is complete, I will do the brake lines and a seals so that I will have at least a rolling chassis. Once that is all complete, the coil overs will be next...then just have to button it all up. Hoping to get some of this done this upcoming weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear-ridiculous what people do.

Back