Blueka's "Pickle" Registry.... | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blueka's "Pickle" Registry....

Since 2005 when I bought "Betty", my UK Explorer, I've wanted a sport...

well, now that I live in Canada, the chance has presented itself for me to get one...

This one.... it's a 99 sport, 4.0 SOHC... it's a total write off for the moment... but when I saw the advert on Kijiji I couldn't say no. It needed some love and I wanted a project to get stuck into, so I did my research and found out how much parts are gonna cost me etc etc.

So. I present.. Pickle.. (cos it's green and in a right mess)

Si
Explorer vin x.jpg
Explorer vin E 2.jpg
Explorer vin E.jpg
Explorer vin E 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

simon, where did it melt, like what part? i literally have one, or two wires on the drivers side LAYING on the header, and they havent melted. then again, i only have maybe 500kms on evil since.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

they were aftermarket wires and they melted where they sat on the first exhaust hole...

Got another sport today, 99 5spd.. Pickle's not so sure though...

thetalk.jpg

Si

Today, went out to find some mud... found snow and got stuck....

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And the tow rope snapped.... :(
1.jpg

Si

Snapping tow straps are no joke. Wow. That would have killed someone if it was able to tear a hole in the hatch. Snow can be tricky when 4 wheeling, it usually ends in something similar to this.

next time it'll just be straps with no metal ends...

Si

Hooks on straps are dangerous that's for sure. Next time place your jacket, a blanket or something similar on the strap in the middle. It will stop the strap from going the full distance between vehicles if it breaks and recoils.

Time to order some lockers! :D

I've got LSD rear right now.. n that's it.. I'm actually really impressed at how far we got in how deep the snow was... so, I think next is going to be a front locker and a winch on a front hitch...

Then the E4406 with gas tank relocate... then the suspension lift...

Si

Funny how a bit of lift and some bigger tires can start the chain of events going. Future pickle might be SAS/SOA, roll cage, doubler t-case, Under armor, on 42" TSL's. :eek:

So today, to cheer me up after yesterday's disaster, I decided to install my lovely Riddler diff cover, powdercoated by Jon (Turdle)

I cut off the excess from the spare tire carrier
Before
IMAG0057.jpg

After
IMAG0058.jpg

And finally, the finished product!!
IMAG0061.jpg

I kinda ****ed up a bit, and didn't let the RTV set before filling the fluids back up... no leaks detected as of yet though, fingers crossed!!

Si

well... when things suck, they really suck... Pickle must've been mad at me for giving her a new a**hole...

My week got worse... went out for a little mud play today and on the way home, the brakes started twitching and pulling to the right... all of a sudden the front tire deflated...

innerrim.jpg

That's the inside edge of my front passenger wheel, which came away from the rest of the wheel... causing my tire to pop...

Looks like the caliper's come off... I'll inspect the damage tomorrow...

towtruck.jpg

On the plus side, scored 4 replacement rims for $50, so hopefully gonna get it all fixed over the weekend...

Si

Yeah.. hopefully gonna get it jacked up today.. but it's snowing.. so I'm not gonna hold my breath...

Si

So, I got the wheel off... the only damage is to the heat shield that goes around the brake disc... phew!!

Well, the rim is also toast... I'm hoping my tire can be salvaged... will know in a bit... after a cup of tea!

Si

wrecked.jpg

Tire and rim cannot be salvaged... looking at $280 for a new tire.. which is more than half what I paid for a set of 4..

On the plus side... Pickle is in the May edition of Off-Road Magazine's reader's rides section... that cheered me up considerably, considering the crappy day I've had!!

Si

Normally the sports arent my favorites but yours is pretty sweet! Sucks about the rim and tire though

Wicked mate!!!!!!!!!

Back