35" KM2s...installed ! ! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" KM2s...installed ! !

Gotcha on the sway bar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for highway driving higher 30s you think is good pressure?

Just a side thought, you took out your front sway bar right?

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do 40psi again, though. Maybe 36-38. 32 hasn't terribly affected my monthly gas usage (the only way I track gas expenses), though. We take the Edge on any longer trip that isn't camping or something, so it rarely gets out of town.

I did remove the front sway bar. I honestly just haven't gotten around to put it back on. If it rubs on the tires terribly, I'd remove it again, though. The ride hasn't been terrible for the driving I do. I do not recommend it for most people. I drive less than 10 miles a day and usually never over 55mph and in a rural area.

Are you still running 4.10 gears? Iv been warned by a couple people that dogging it down on the highway can burn up the overdrive.

I'm also looking at a couple different tuners to fix the speedo, odometer and ABS.

Are you still running 4.10 gears? Iv been warned by a couple people that dogging it down on the highway can burn up the overdrive.

I'm also looking at a couple different tuners to fix the speedo, odometer and ABS.

Sure am. I very rarely get over 2,500 RPMs and cruise at about 2,200 RPMs at 65 mph. Shifts through everything nicely and no overdrive issues or kicking down too often. When approaching hills I know would downshift, I turn off cruise (which I use A LOT) and up the RPMs a little to stay in 5th, ease off right before the crest of the hill, get back down the couple mph gained to previous cruise speed, reset cruise and merrily continue on my way.

I guess I could just say I don't ever dog it on the highway so I wouldn't really know.

As for the tuner, SCT XCal 3 seems to be THE way to go for us. I want to get one but it hasn't made the priority list yet.

I've been trying to figure out my mpgs and also just see how far I've gone using mapmyrun app on my phone then adding each trip up. The ABS light is my main worry especially after driving through torrential downpour that dumped several inches of rain and a bit of hail in under 2 hrs. Im still on the wall but hoping a tuner could alleviate those problems.
Now #1 priority - making a claim for the hail damage

Got some flex pics the last few days. Ive been up on 3 wheels on all different corners and I haven't had to cut any extra than the 1st week. Just follow the trimming pictures in this thread and that'll allow movement all around.

eb8e5a22.jpg

b0b3e2c9.jpg

No real closeups but the right rear is almost at the bump stop and the left has no weight.

Great to have another person confirm that you can indeed fit 35s without rubbing, no outer cosmetic trimming and certainly not having to trim off the whole front bumper. I don't feel that many believed I truly don't have any rubbing. Our wheel wells are enormous and if you get the right backspacing on the wheels, it's not difficult. So, to all the nonbelievers,:p:.

Great pictures, too!:thumbsup:

I know! I'd love for some more people to throw 35s under there too.

Our wheel wells are HUGE. Almost 39 inches at the bottom. When I was running shoe creek this weekend we were talking about trying to put 35s on a 3rd gen ex with the same lift. Theirs is only 34.5 across so can't stuff the 35s without a major lift.

Hey Offtrac I know you didn't do anything as far as correcting your speedometer. Does your ABS not work also? My light's been on since I put the tires on.

Haven't had the light on. Braking takes more time but there's nothing concerning yet. I haven't had to stand on the brakes, so I can't say how that feels.

Me neither. ABS is the only reason I'm considering doing anything to the speedo. Then again it passed inspection yesterday. I noticed it on steep wet trails the wheels lock up so I have to pump the brakes instead. Not too big of a problem but it kinda worries me on the road if I'm forced to do an emergency stop.

OK, I've read this through a few times, and I think I'm in. As far as I can tell, the front end and nose on the 2001 Explorer Sport and the 2001 Explorer Sport Trac are identical, so this ought to work for me. I've got about 2-inches on TT, shackles and AAL (together added about 3 1/2 to the rear), a 3-inch body lift, and fresh wheel bearings all around. Been waiting to step up to 33s, but you've got me convinced -- and I love the way your truck looks. Great stance.

As soon as the piggy bank and the Mrs. say go, I'm going to take a crack at 35s on 16x10 rims. If it's a miserable failure, I'll eat some crow, pass the tires and rims along to one of you Tracers and get that set of 33s anyway. Worth a shot for the added ground clearance and off-road capability.

Thanks for blazing the trail, and for the great thread that airs it all out.

:exp:

Glad you found it useful. Hope it works out as planned. Would love to see the results.

Probably should update with this as well since I just realized this a couple days ago and snapped a picture:

2012-10-31_11-05-04_259.jpg

Gonna have to look into this.

I have the x3 tuner and I love it. prolly added 20 hp

Me neither. ABS is the only reason I'm considering doing anything to the speedo. Then again it passed inspection yesterday. I noticed it on steep wet trails the wheels lock up so I have to pump the brakes instead. Not too big of a problem but it kinda worries me on the road if I'm forced to do an emergency stop.

hey runner have you checked the fuse? i remember when i first went to 33"s, my abs fuse blew for some reason. i have no idea if it was related to going to bigger tires, but i remember it happening, and after i changed it, i havent had a problem with my abs since.

Probably should update with this as well since I just realized this a couple days ago and snapped a picture:

2012-10-31_11-05-04_259.jpg

Gonna have to look into this.

I just noticed that last Thursday washing it off. I think taking the sway bars off let the tire flex into the line. Does someone make flexible fuel lines that can be routed more toward the middle of the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey runner have you checked the fuse? i remember when i first went to 33"s, my abs fuse blew for some reason. i have no idea if it was related to going to bigger tires, but i remember it happening, and after i changed it, i havent had a problem with my abs since.

I didnt think to check the fuse but my code reader said something about the sender unit. I can't remember what it was exactly as that was 5 months ago. Thanks for the idea I'll definitely check it out! Do you remember off the top of your head what fuse it is? No need to dig it up I can do that if you dont remember.

Back