Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: AT's, I really like the BFG All Terrains, I am on my second set. They have really gone up in price though. I paid $160 tire delivered/no tax for 33x12.50x15. Recently had a nail close to sidewall. Replacement would have been $191 if I didnt have road hazard. They are also one of the few tires to carry the mountain flake snow symbol for winter rating also. Re: Generals, read a lot of good reviews, have to agree with Dan though, they are pricey. Dont know anything about Falkens, they look decent, had considered a set in 305 70 16 awhile back.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Re: AT's, I really like the BFG All Terrains, I am on my second set. They have really gone up in price though. I paid $160 tire delivered/no tax for 33x12.50x15. Recently had a nail close to sidewall. Replacement would have been $191 if I didnt have road hazard. They are also one of the few tires to carry the mountain flake snow symbol for winter rating also. Re: Generals, read a lot of good reviews, have to agree with Dan though, they are pricey. Dont know anything about Falkens, they look decent, had considered a set in 305 70 16 awhile back.

The Goodyear Silent Armors I have also carry the mountain flake symbol as well. They do live up to that reputation for my truck anyways. That bit of snow and ice we got the last few days show that even after 5 years of use they still bite pretty good! :thumbsup: TireRack shows them for a price of 4 for the 16'' wheel to come to $708. They as well have gone up a little bit in price.I also only had one little incident of a nail actually getting through one of the tires and causing a near flat. So they're a fairly durable tire as well along with minimal road noise.

Good to know Tek, I usually only see the symbol on winter tires (have a set of Blizzaks with the symbol). Thought it was something special the BFG A/T's had over other A/T tires. Too bad the prices went thru the roof on them.

Any decisions yet Turdle? You gonna powdercoat the wheels before the new tires? It just wouldnt be right if you didnt!!!

Any decisions yet Turdle? You gonna powdercoat the wheels before the new tires? It just wouldnt be right if you didnt!!!

Yes. I am going to change the scheme a bit on the wheels. :D

Still undecided about tires. I need to do something though.I see cracks in the sidewalls--:eek::eek:

I need to see what I can get the best deal on locally. I'll pay a bit more, but this is a small town and I like to stay friendly about things like this.

I know I want a 6 ply type tire that will take a higher pressure, with a semi aggressive AT tread.
Believe it or not, these daytons did very well on the trail for us. They grip very well on dry -loose rocky terrain. I also want something with a bit of sidewall bling this time. The red lettering of the Grabbers is a high selling point. But I have fallen for this kind of gimmick before, not being happy after a year or so.

decisions decisions

I must say that even though i know you want to stay away from goodyears i think you should really look into the Duratrac's. I absolutely love mine. They grip great in every situation, and were less than the generals when i bought mine. If you drive in snow they will amaze you. I did a WOT pull in hard packed snow and they grabbed almost like i was on dry pavement. They really are absolutely amazing for the price tag. Mine are load range C and rated to 50psi, and they handle well with 7k of trailer on the rig. IIRC the 31's are rated exactly the same as the 33's. Oh, and they may not have sexy red lettering lol, but they do have decently sized side lugs.

Yep. Got them on my work truck and I do like them. Nice chunky sidewall too.

Tire choices are narrowed down to

Falken Wild Peak

wildpeak_3-4.png

And

Cooper AT3

DiscovererAT3-adj.jpg

Both are around 165.00 ea mounted and balanced locally. The plus side is they are going to do an alignment free of charge, ( was done recently so it should be close) and, I can leave the truck on stands, inside their shop for a couple days while I powdercoat my wheels. Costco and Tirerack won't do that for me. :D

I'll ask my wife which tire she thinks is purtiest I guess. ;)

The Wildpeak looks more aggressive, specs say it has a 3-ply sidewall, probably just in the LT sizes though. The AT3 is a milder tire, just a regular 2-ply sidewall. Not sure how good either is with warranty, but if the place you buy from has a good road hazard warranty, that's all you need.

Also, purple wheels.

Also, purple wheels.

Hmm, don't know about purple, but if anyone who has Photoshop wants to edit this I will entertain ideas. :D

SD532720.jpg

004-3.jpg

IMHO though, The truck should have some silver in the wheels, while the black does set it off in a good way. I might just "redo" like for like unless I actually see something different I like. I'm not able to find pictures of Powdercoated DC1 wheels. Well,I take that back. I found a set which was done in Dick Cepek Gray in a "inner beadlock" article, but I do not care for them on this truck.

How about all black with either red or silver in the lines that run through the spokes?

How about all black with either red or silver in the lines that run through the spokes?

Ah!
I had thought about adding the red in the stripe and signature-maybe even the outer rim hex bolts.
The bolts might be too much, but I am glad you suggested the red touches because I hesitated to--;)

Pretty crappy job, but something like this?

Attachments

• turdlewheel.jpg
    turdlewheel.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 520
  • turdletruck.jpg
    turdletruck.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 480

I think Jon can do a better job than that Rick. ;)

With only a photoshop pic it is hard to say, but not diggin the all black that much. I like the stripe idea but it may look better the color of the lower half of your truck (maroon?). I think it would "blend" or "mesh" better.

With only a photoshop pic it is hard to say, but not diggin the all black that much. I like the stripe idea but it may look better the color of the lower half of your truck (maroon?). I think it would "blend" or "mesh" better.
I'm thinking something like tat too.

Red or maroon where the black is now or red/maroon where the silver is now

Ok, wheel all black, blocks of rim where spokes do not meet silver-( kind of oposite of what it is now) --simulated beadlock bolts silver on black background, silver center cap and lug nuts, Maroon pinstripe and Cepek logo

Here is a good start, if someone could photoshop it for me?

In fact, forget the silver blocking on the rim--I will try to imagine it--

Thanks!

Attachments

• dc 1 wheel (1).jpg
    dc 1 wheel (1).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 513

Yeah I like that idea! Make sure you find a good powdercoater who can do an amazing job and match your truck color.......:eek:

Yeah I like that idea! Make sure you find a good powdercoater who can do an amazing job and match your truck color.......:eek:

I have just enough left from doing the trailer hitch-I think this match will be good

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Me Too! Looking foward to seeing them done, now, if you dont like the colors, it wasnt my idea... IT was Albino's...

My DC-1's are still holding up (polished version) but seems to getting some "staining" (best explanation) that I cant get out. Cant see unless close up. At least I will get some ideas when you are done, in case I need to re-do them in a few years.

Back