Overland project

JJexplorer77

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey folks,

I am starting my overland project and I am super excited to get it done. I just had a few questions on whether I should do a body lift or a suspension lift?

And if I should splerg on a roof top tent or just stick with a ground tent?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get a small suspension lift.

The RTT will save cargo room, but take the mpg down quite a bit during the trips. They are super easy to use and IMHO well worth the money. If you're not worried about that, I'd go for the RTT. I loved mine when I had it.

DSC_1089.jpg

I would get a small suspension lift.

The RTT will save cargo room, but take the mpg down quite a bit during the trips. They are super easy to use and IMHO well worth the money. If you're not worried about that, I'd go for the RTT. I loved mine when I had it.

DSC_1089.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I definitely like the rtt idea. what brand would you suggest? I know eezi awn makes some an equipt does but are there any other good brands?

Do you really need a tent? IMO sleeping inside the explorer is way more comfortable than a tent

The RTT vs ground tent debate is a long one. Only the debate on oil change interval is longer.

I am involved with an overlanding group here in CO. Here's what I know based on my limited experience:
RTT pros:
Frees up interior storage space
Sets up quickly
Bedding is already in place
Most are well built and can handle high winds and bad weather
Gets you up off the ground- dirt and mud can get scraped off on the ladder, also snakes and ants and bug probably won't find you

RTT cons:
putting a brick on top of a brick makes for horrible highway MPGs
It's a lot of weight put in the wrong place (tent material can make a big difference too- canvas vs nylon)
They don't seem to pack up nearly as quickly as they deploy- pretty much on par with a ground tenter rolling up sleeping pads and sleeping bags and folding up ground tent
A tear in the cover from a low hanging branch + poor weather = soggy bedding
Can't leave camp without folding up tent
Using multiple vehicles as your camping rig is tough
What to do with RTT between trips- leave it on or take it off? They are not easy to take on and off. Need an overhead hoist to do with one person.

I'm about to buy an Oztent. It's a ground tent that costs as much as some RTTs. But because I camp out of my Explorer and my Expedition, a ground tent is easy to transfer between vehicles. Also, I want to park my Explorer in my garage. An RTT is about 10" minimum folded up PLUS the height of the rack it sits on. I don't have the garage door height to accommodate that. And I don't want to have to take it on and off- I have a SAS'd/SOA on my Explorer, it's very tall. And I'm very soft. Adding a bunch of weight to the roof might make the difference of staying on my wheels or not.

As far as body lift vs suspension lift: use body lift as a last ditch means to fit larger tires. I regret my 2" body lift. But because I've got $3000 worth of bumpers and sliders built to the body lift height, going back would be tough. Especially if you go with a RTT, staying nice and low is better.

And as far as sleeping IN the Explorer- no thanks. It's hot. It's tough to keep the bugs out while still providing air flow. You'll wake up with all the windows covered in condensation which will need to be cleaned before you can drive or wait until it clears on its own. And if you get serious about overlanding, you'll pack more and more stuff into your rig (on board water, storage drawers, refrigerators) that will need to either come out and laid on the ground or worked into the sleeping platform design.

The RTT vs ground tent debate is a long one. Only the debate on oil change interval is longer.

I am involved with an overlanding group here in CO. Here's what I know based on my limited experience:
RTT pros:
Frees up interior storage space
Sets up quickly
Bedding is already in place
Most are well built and can handle high winds and bad weather
Gets you up off the ground- dirt and mud can get scraped off on the ladder, also snakes and ants and bug probably won't find you

RTT cons:
putting a brick on top of a brick makes for horrible highway MPGs
It's a lot of weight put in the wrong place (tent material can make a big difference too- canvas vs nylon)
They don't seem to pack up nearly as quickly as they deploy- pretty much on par with a ground tenter rolling up sleeping pads and sleeping bags and folding up ground tent
A tear in the cover from a low hanging branch + poor weather = soggy bedding
Can't leave camp without folding up tent
Using multiple vehicles as your camping rig is tough
What to do with RTT between trips- leave it on or take it off? They are not easy to take on and off. Need an overhead hoist to do with one person.

I'm about to buy an Oztent. It's a ground tent that costs as much as some RTTs. But because I camp out of my Explorer and my Expedition, a ground tent is easy to transfer between vehicles. Also, I want to park my Explorer in my garage. An RTT is about 10" minimum folded up PLUS the height of the rack it sits on. I don't have the garage door height to accommodate that. And I don't want to have to take it on and off- I have a SAS'd/SOA on my Explorer, it's very tall. And I'm very soft. Adding a bunch of weight to the roof might make the difference of staying on my wheels or not.

As far as body lift vs suspension lift: use body lift as a last ditch means to fit larger tires. I regret my 2" body lift. But because I've got $3000 worth of bumpers and sliders built to the body lift height, going back would be tough. Especially if you go with a RTT, staying nice and low is better.

And as far as sleeping IN the Explorer- no thanks. It's hot. It's tough to keep the bugs out while still providing air flow. You'll wake up with all the windows covered in condensation which will need to be cleaned before you can drive or wait until it clears on its own. And if you get serious about overlanding, you'll pack more and more stuff into your rig (on board water, storage drawers, refrigerators) that will need to either come out and laid on the ground or worked into the sleeping platform design.

I agree it can get pretty hot, but a small fan or two really helps. I just took a week long trip, me and my now ex gf comfortable slept in the back. Even in savannah georgia. Rain visors, cracked windows, and fans keep away any condensation. Bugs haven't been enough of a problem to warrent me to do something about them. Bugs are worse in a tent IMO.

Storage is where tents get nice. I really struggle to carry all my recovery gear, clothes, food, etc etc and still have room to sleep. On one trip I was moving the winch outside to have room. I built a sleeping platform which really helps with storage but I can't accommodate much more than I have.
Dual batteries and water can mount under the truck btw

I agree it can get pretty hot, but a small fan or two really helps. I just took a week long trip, me and my now ex gf comfortable slept in the back. Even in savannah georgia. Rain visors, cracked windows, and fans keep away any condensation. Bugs haven't been enough of a problem to warrent me to do something about them. Bugs are worse in a tent IMO.

Storage is where tents get nice. I really struggle to carry all my recovery gear, clothes, food, etc etc and still have room to sleep. On one trip I was moving the winch outside to have room. I built a sleeping platform which really helps with storage but I can't accommodate much more than I have.
Dual batteries and water can mount under the truck btw

Thank you both for the advice I am planning on a suspension lift along with a nice ground tent. I think I need to start an overland group here in Utah. or find one if possible.

Back