Transmission pan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission pan

The only "dipstick-less" vehicle in my stable is significant other's Kia. But that one doesn't even have a pan under the transmission (or rather, transaxle), so it doesn't really count. So for those of us ignorant of later model Explorers can you explain how one adds a dipstick where there wasn't one? And how do you fill this thing without a dipstick tube anyway?

@1998Exp

Sure thing! First, ya fill it (without a dipstick) through a hole provided in the RH side of the case, rear, above oil pan. Pipe plug provided there for that purpose.

Punched hole in side of pan. Brazed 3/4" male X 3/4" Compression Elbow in place. Used 3/4" seamless steel tubing for the tube; bent it to clear stuff in the way. Dipstick is a shortened 5.0L HO Mustang engine oil dipstick.
5r55s_10.jpg

How it looks assembled.
5r55s_11.jpg

How it looks under car, all installed.
oil_pa14.jpg

How it looks under the hood.
oil_pa12.jpg

Nice! At what angle does the dipstick enter the pan? It appears to go almost horizontally after turning that 90 deg corner.
Correction: Oh, I see - it probably doesn't even enter the pan, and just measures the level of fluid in the attached elbow. Clever!

That's slicker than snot, well done. It's also cheaper than the $250+ special aftermarket pans made for those late Ford models. Well done.

If anyone was curious the thread for the drain plug for the 4r70 pan is 14x1.5mm. A standard ford style drain plug with O-ring built in works perfect. I'm sure you can get one with a magnet tip too but you don't want it sticking in too far, it might cause issues in the oil pickup.

Also my dorman pan was only painted up to the gasket surface, nothing on the inside. I scuffed it up and repainted the outside silver before I installed it so I can spot any leaks easily.

Back