FINALLY!!! An off-the-shelf intercooler upgrade is available!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FINALLY!!! An off-the-shelf intercooler upgrade is available!!!

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a nice piece and a substantial improvement to ETs.:chug:

I'd want to see some numbers before I threw a grand at it. Sure, it looks like it would be better at cooling the charge, but what are the real numbers.

That's a pretty high price tag when you consider a high quality intercooler for a 6.0 diesel can be had for under $500.

I'd want to see some numbers before I threw a grand at it. Sure, it looks like it would be better at cooling the charge, but what are the real numbers.

That's a pretty high price tag when you consider a high quality intercooler for a 6.0 diesel can be had for under $500.
I don't disagree, but even without owning one, I can tell you the improvement will be HUGE. Our IATs are ridiculous if you start doing any real tuning. My tuner keeps yelling at me to do something about the stock intercooler I'm still running as my high IATs keep requiring timing to be pulled, which just kills power.

I'll be honest, I won't be purchasing it as I am going a full custom route, but it's been far too long with no real off-the-shelf solution for our platform. I know a few guys have cobbled together their own setups and have seen big gains. I can't really speak on the price, but as of right now, they are the only game in town, so unless you go full custom yourself, they can charge whatever they want and I'm sure people will pay it.

I will say, they went with a top quality core though. Garrett makes very, very good IC cores and are pricey to begin with. I think if you try to buy that core by itself without the end-tanks, you're already paying about $400, factor in the fab of those end-tanks and I don't know how much cheaper you can make it.

What is a bit dismaying is the amount you have to cut into the stock core support. I realize there is real estate issues with the platform, but I think that will turn a lot of people away.

Maybe someone should look into an air to liquid system. They can be much more efficient in a smaller package, but you do have more hardware to deal with and some means of circulation.

Maybe someone should look into an air to liquid system. They can be much more efficient in a smaller package, but you do have more hardware to deal with and some means of circulation.
Funny you mention A2W...I was just talking to my buddy who is doing that exact thing on his SHO...very similar platform to ours. That heat exchanger is very small compared to an equivalent A2A intercooler...

It's good news! I am willing to save up for one. I just ran my first datalog, 3rd gear,: 2k to 5.5k and the IAT just took off.

Off hand, do you know if this IC will direct install to the EPP dual intake and hot pipes, or are extra parts needed?
I don’t any more about it than you do. Although when looking at the photos, it looks like its using the stock "Y" collector pipe, which lends me to believe it would work, since EPP dual pipes install into that "Y" pipe, from my understanding. But I'd double check before making the purchase.

Has anyone purchased this yet?

Has anyone purchased this yet?
you might search the explorer sport group on facebook, I seem to recall seeing at least a couple installs. IMHO it's not worth the money when you can get a Mishimoto J-line or Treadstone TR8 and a few adapters/fittings that are well documented here or on facebook/youtube/other forums etc and make your own kit for like 1/3 the price. It is probably a better quality intercooler, and built for the application, but still has a lot of the same issues that make it not necessarily a "bolt on" or novice install (the stock IC is located in front of the condenser radiator etc but behind a shroud that can't be removed while all that is still installed, unless you have the means to capture and recharge your AC you have to remove the bumper, cut into the shroud a bunch etc to fit any intercooler)

I just installed one because the treadstone tr8L was on a 6ish week wait. Install was easy and so far no complaints but I don’t have any data to support it being better than factory although I’m confident it is.

I just installed one because the treadstone tr8L was on a 6ish week wait. Install was easy and so far no complaints but I don’t have any data to support it being better than factory although I’m confident it is.
Would you mind making some runs and logging IAT2 temps and let us know what the ambient air temp was?

With my stock intercooler i’m seeing 30-40 degrees above ambient air temp while driving.

Would you mind making some runs and logging IAT2 temps and let us know what the ambient air temp was?

With my stock intercooler i’m seeing 30-40 degrees above ambient air temp while driving.
I’m having some issues with logging at the moment but when I get through that I’ll get you some data.

Thought I’d share a couple pics…

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

Where did u get that mesh grille? Hood struts are nice too
That’s the factory grille as far as I know. I did buy this lightly used but it was on the vehicle when I bought it. I was surprised how visible the Intercooler is. Factory cooler is black so it blends in much better. I may have this anodized at some point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back