Driver's window stopped going up/down. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's window stopped going up/down.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Before I take the door apart and start diagnosing the source of the malfunction, has anyone had the following problem.

The drivers window will not go up or down.

Earlier today the window functioned perfectly and after a trip to the gym, it ceased to function. All the other windows function properly.

Suggestions appreciated ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be the hinge connection bulkhead has developed a poor connection.

See if it works while the door is in several different partially open positions.

Possibly a bad ground in the switch. IIRC the switch just toggles the ground side to side to activate the motor, so if the ground input is bad, the window won't respond.

It could be the hinge connection bulkhead has developed a poor connection.

See if it works while the door is in several different partially open positions.

Earlier today when I did this the window stillwould not function.

Tonight on a trip to the grocery store, I tried the window and it functioned perfectly. I did nothing to cause this to happen.

Must have been a poltergeist or a loose connection somewhere.

I just solved an intermittent power window on a 98 Saturn by replacing the motor. It's been good for a month now. Before the replacement, the window would work sometimes, not others, or get stuck without any rhyme or reason. The one consistent symptom was slower travel. What's the speed on your driver's compared to the other 3?

Hopefully yours stays fixed, but otherwise it's time to remove the door panel and check things over with a voltmeter.

Earlier today when I did this the window stillwould not function.

Tonight on a trip to the grocery store, I tried the window and it functioned perfectly. I did nothing to cause this to happen.

Must have been a poltergeist or a loose connection somewhere.

I've had this same thing happen a couple times on my explorer recently. Usually it will cease to go up only after driving with it down for awhile. Then I have to play with the switch for a few minutes and it will go up.

On mine, the switch is activating something, since the motor twitches, but it doesn't go up.

Broken wires in the door jam.

I think JT is on the money. My 98 xlt had an intermittent lock issue. It turned out to be the wires in the door jam. 5 or 6 were cracked, and broken. Some looked ok but were broken internally. It is suspect on the driver door usally because it is used so much more than the rest. It is easy to check the rubber snorkel hose which comes undone easily on the body side. You should be able to slide it back enough to look in or at least feel in.

Last night the problem reoccurred, however, this time it was the passenger ( front ) window.

Looks like its time to replace the switch.

I have a new one, part F87Z14529AA, on order from Torrie at Fast Parts Network ( http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/ ).

The tiny copper pins inside the switches are very fragile. I have found and fixed one before, the left one in my work truck.

I should have asked then, do you see the parts ship out to you quickly and accurately?

Excellent, and that is the kind of part that is wise to buy new, given the age of most used parts now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,125

Very good, now carefully take the old one apart. Check out the fragile copper components that trigger the functions.

The master switch replacement completely cured the initial problem with the driver's window.

Now, the passenger ( front ) window will not function in either the up or down mode. All other windows work properly.

Its raining very hard now so I can't take the front passenger door apart to take a look at things.

Any suggestions welcomed ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the main wiring is good, I'd go to the RF switch first. The power has to go through each door switch whether it's the main switch or that one controlling the window. You can check for gorund at each of the four terminals.

All switch terminals are normally grounded. The switches disconnect a path to ground, and supply power to one of the motor wires.

Back