• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Tailights on 98 4door?

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Would a set of 01 sport tailights or whatever year has the all red light except for the reverse light (2nd gen only) fit on my 98 XLT? I wanna tint the tails myself, but i don't wanna use mine for obvious reasons, such as i'd have to have them out, and if i screw up i'm outta tailights. Plus with it being all red I wouldn't have to tint as dark to cover up the orange turn signal ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't fit. '01 Sport tails only fit on any Sport from '01 onwards. A 98 XLT will only accept tails from ANY Explorer from 98-01 EXCEPT the '01 Sport. Tails from '95-97 Explorers will also fit but will look like crap because of the dimensions of the liftgates.

Get a second set off eBay or a boneyard, cover the amber with a few coats of Testors Candy Apple red, then tint with 2-3 coats of VHT Nightshades and liberal coats of clear coat.

Been there, done that.

EDIT: I did mine following excellent instructions posted on another site by "Anabolic Frolic". I have the links, but now they're dead. I pretty much got the same results he did following his example. Now if only someone could convince him to re-post those directions. I see he doesn't have tinted tails any longer, but he definitely knows what he's talking about.

whatta you mean 95-97 will look like crap?? I wanna get these blackouts if i don't tint or even if i do there 10 bucks and i can sell the headlight portion for 10$ and make my money back...but there for 95-97 will they not look right?

You can tell a difference in shape.
11-3053-01.jpg

11-5129-01.jpg

TJM623 said:
whatta you mean 95-97 will look like crap?? I wanna get these blackouts if i don't tint or even if i do there 10 bucks and i can sell the headlight portion for 10$ and make my money back...but there for 95-97 will they not look right?

Search the archives. Somewhere is a thread where a guy took 95-97 tails and put them on a 98-01 and vice versa. Complete with photos.

It said everything and a picture really was worth a 1000 words.

1996Limited said:
You can tell a difference in shape.
11-3053-01.jpg

11-5129-01.jpg

i've seen the thread with the pictures of those, but......i'm not talking about the actual light it's a blackout cover, thinking that it might be able to have a little movement don't you think i could get it to fit?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127378

those are the ones i'm talking about.

TJM623 said:
i've seen the thread with the pictures of those, but......i'm not talking about the actual light it's a blackout cover, thinking that it might be able to have a little movement don't you think i could get it to fit?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127378

those are the ones i'm talking about.

I doubt it. The 98-01 is completely different shape. I've owned a '97 and a '00 and the rear end and tails really are that much different. The 98-01 bulges out a lot more. The 95-97 is much more compact and "squarish".

I'll put money on it, They won't fit right.

ok such a good deal 2 :( i was gonna get both the headlights and tails for 10$ shipped, and then keep the tails and the guy second in line told me he'd buy the headlights back off me for 10$ so i woulda basically gotten 40$ taillight covers for free *sigh* Nothing ever fits when I want to buy it :fire:

Back