1 ton SAS into a '91! (build thread?) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 ton SAS into a '91! (build thread?)

Here are a couple "action shots"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sick trail! looks like the 60 is holding up well

sick trail! looks like the 60 is holding up well

I managed to break a hub last weekend.. old stock hub though.. which reminds me, i need to order a replacement.

I managed to break a hub last weekend.. old stock hub though.. which reminds me, i need to order a replacement.

turns out it was the stub shaft that broke! destroyed the whole spindle.

who know d60s only had 31 spline outers!??

upgraded to 35 spline :D

pic from today

Explorerverticalfull.jpg

videos uploading to my youtube right now....

going to do high steer, ram assist steering, and coil/link front suspension soon.

Just picked up a 1st gen with a d44/9". We'll see how long that lasts before I'm following in your footsteps!

ohhh. heard that. i was just down there last friday and picked up a bagged ranger. Im right outside of charlotte.

Any good places to wheel? I've heard uwharrie Is pretty nice.

I've decided to go coil sprung front end! (and highsteer and ram assist)

so, i collected the fallowing parts:
ram assist stuff
various steel
various bolts
some bushings
and a variety of various other stuff

today, i started the conversion

we made a tall jack stand to hold the axle in place, then removed the leaf spring
2012-01-22_10-22-04_688.jpg

then made this spring perch/link arm mount... which has a 1" bolt for the coil spring retainer. as you can see its pretty much directly on the axles stock leaf spring pad.
2012-01-22_15-05-06_929.jpg

and made the link arm.. here it is partially built
2012-01-22_11-59-21_239.jpg

and now getting ready to put in.. we also removed the stock spring bucket from the frame rail, it needs to be relocated forward a couple inches. (im placing this axle about 2" forward from where the stock axle would have been)
2012-01-22_14-35-11_432.jpg

we cut some holes in the back of the spring bucket to plug weld it so it holds really good
2012-01-22_14-35-32_788.jpg

then put it back on in its new location, and did a little painting too
2012-01-22_15-20-10_391.jpg

somehow that took all afternoon. so that's day 1 progress.

I made some more progress over the weekend...

Trimmed the cross member for some clearance
2012-02-05_09-35-53_635.jpg

The i installed the high steer, set up for chevy 1-ton TRE's. i had to shorten the tie rod a bit.
the problem was, the high steer kit was TOO high. with the springs installed, and sitting on the ground at ride height, the tie rod was only about 2" below the frame, and 1.5" below the pitman arm..
that won't do at all....

...so i did this.
2012-02-05_10-36-15_243.jpg

after cutting the high steer knuckles, i ground a real nice groove in them to weld in, so it's still "solid" steel. no air pockets. then i plated the bottom side of each one with 3/16" plate where i welded it.

re-installed it. springs are once again out and it's no longer at "ride height"
Also, got the ram assist squeezed in behind the tie rod
2012-02-05_14-39-36_191.jpg

here's a couple more pictures
2012-02-05_14-39-56_622.jpg

2012-02-05_16-24-01_203.jpg

after that i installed a transmission filter and new seal (it was leaking)

i was also going to replace my transfer case because i thought the rear output bearing was bad.. turned out the flange nut was just loose. tightened it up and its fine now durr!!
and i tore into the leaf spring packs in the rear.. going to shuffle in some of the leaves from the front, get a tiny bit more height and slightly stiffer out of it (plus one of my leaves was cracked and needed to be replaced)

i also "clearanced" the body a tiny bit where the rear driveshaft u joint at the t-case is.. it would rub sometimes, for some reason.

so all i have left is to finish the rear leaves, build the pan-hard bar, and hook up the lines to the ram assist... and a few other details, almost done!
got to get done in time for TDS... first weekend in march. anybody else going?

is anybody fallowing this thread?

I got the steering linkage and panhard bar in today!!

The panhard bar is pretty short (only about 18 inches, iirc) so I expect a little bump steer. unfortunately, i couldn't come up with a way to make it longer.

these pictures were taken at "full droop"... the limiting factor being the springs, they only compress about 3" when i set it down... therefore, i only get about 3" of (sprung) downtravel.. with the springs out, it could go down a few more inches before the brake lines are tight.

(at full droop)
2012-02-13_16-25-30_587.jpg

(at full droop)
2012-02-13_16-25-53_234.jpg

(at full droop)
2012-02-13_16-26-18_172.jpg

the good news is, at ride height, the panhard bar and steering linkage are nearly level. so even with my short panhard maybe the bump steer will be tolerable.

up-travel is about 2" to the bump stops, then there is enough clearance to compress the bump stop down to less than 1/2" without anything bottoming out.

heres a side shot with it resting on the bump stop (springs out) you can see my hack job mod on the steering linkage here, too.

the panhard bar mount doubles as a bumpstop risor/pad from the axle as well.
2012-02-13_16-18-27_459.jpg

so all in all, i have about 6" of usable travel. I also got these shocks which i'll be using.. i hope they have enough travel :rockon

2012-02-13_16-36-01_322.jpg

time to put in the front shocks...

cut out some mounts for them
2012-02-14_13-37-45_735.jpg

installed one side so far.. i will probably "box" the lower portion of this in. at least on one side.
2012-02-15_17-31-49_851.jpg

these shocks are pretty tall!
i'm going to have to relocated the air box and some other stuff for fitment.
2012-02-15_17-31-33_793.jpg

I also got the a hitch receiver installed.. well most of the way, i need to brace it a little more on the inside.
the only problem with this hitch is that even with the drop hitch, the ball will be about 29" high. so i'm not sure how usable it will be :/ we will see!
2012-02-15_17-32-43_24.jpg

can't have too much welding
2012-02-15_17-33-28_605.jpg

just for fun.. how about a live webcam?
(image updates when page is refreshed)

image.jpg

with the interest this thread is getting.. i figure it will be really busy (haha)

Hey love your truck. i have a question about your exo cage where it gos thru the roof,
is it hard to keep it sealed there with the frame/cage flex different then the body or dose it not move that much. I see your in a lot warmer/dryer climate then iam so it might not be an issue for you but if i do my cage like the it will have to be sealed
Thank
P.S. your cliff dive video looked like alot of fun

Hey love your truck. i have a question about your exo cage where it gos thru the roof,
is it hard to keep it sealed there with the frame/cage flex different then the body or dose it not move that much. I see your in a lot warmer/dryer climate then iam so it might not be an issue for you but if i do my cage like the it will have to be sealed
Thank
P.S. your cliff dive video looked like alot of fun

It's just holes cut in the roof with a hole saw.. it drips a little in the rain but that doesnt bother me much.

i have the body mounted solid to the cage and frame in a few spots, for instance where the cage goes up between the doors it is anchored to the body there. otherwise, you would just need a really big hole to allow for cab/frame flex.

i suppose a rubber shift boot or something along those lines could be used to seal the holes if you wanted to.

It's just holes cut in the roof with a hole saw.. it drips a little in the rain but that doesnt bother me much.

i have the body mounted solid to the cage and frame in a few spots, for instance where the cage goes up between the doors it is anchored to the body there. otherwise, you would just need a really big hole to allow for cab/frame flex.

i suppose a rubber shift boot or something along those lines could be used to seal the holes if you wanted to.

thanks ill figure a way to seal it up. we get alot of rain and snow here lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you building an exo? have you started yet?

Back