10 Startlingly Dangerous Cars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10 Startlingly Dangerous Cars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I own a 1st gen and im just learning the ins and outs of my Ex, is there anything that should be done to make it safer. First off, I understand the importance of driving the Ex with respect. It isnt a Formula 1 car or sports car. Ive recently been thinking about installing a roll cage to strenghten the roof which Ive heard is week. My truck is a 91, what parts on the suspension should be replaced to help with stability? Basically what im asking is, after all we learned since 1991, what would or could we change in the Explorer to make it a little more safe?

If you want a safe explorer get a 2011+. You need to lower it, thicker sway bars, and a roll cage wouldn't hurt. Can't do much else, it's an old truck meant for towing and offroading.
Also, that article was written by an idiot who was bored

Horrible, pointless list really...cant blame an entire vehicle over tire manufactures. They're calling the original bronco a bronco II and calling out corvette/mustangs because the type of people who bought them new. Its hard to take seriously, anything mid 70s and ups plenty safe in my opinion. A lot of non volvo drivers make it through life.

In my humble opinion the Explorer is very safe. The two things that caused the rollovers were failure-prone tires and drivers who didn't know how to react when a tire failed (many of them, their first SUV).

I have taken the Explorer to its limits and don't think I could flip it without doing some really dumb stuff.

Roll cage is good.

Another weak point of many and many americans are seats and more closely head rests.

Only slow speed crash on your rear bumber and neck are dangerous position.

More handling vs stability i think.

Because if you car is too hard it wont go hard and bumby road so fine and rear end can swing off easily.

High weighpoint cars like suv's arent fast corner cars ever.

But explo is little bit higher tan normal cars, thats good safety from crush situations.

Or... i dont know about usa, there is so big cars in traffic so explorer is not big there...

ABS are nice too, air bag is one of important for safety but not available in 1gen?

I will be installing a roll cage in the near future. I know we blame inexperienced drivers for rollovers but Ive noticed quite a few people have rolled their Rangers and Explorers on this forum so it can happen. I agree, stupid article.

Roll cage is smart for all heavy cars even rollover danger. Heavy car crushes roof easily when its upside down.

I saw a thread on here that showed a picture of an explorer that was sideswiped and ended up rolling twice at like 45 miles per hour. The roof held up to the "heavy vehicle" and everyone was fine.

I also read an article stating that when the explorers proneness to rollover was tested by a test driver, they simulated the tires exploding, the driver said he could have a tire blowout with his hands off the wheel the whole time and still not rollover. I don't remember the sources of either of these.

The way I look at it, of course the most popular SUV ever will have more crashes than other ones, theres more of them on the road! I have seen nothing to convince me explorers are any more or less dangerous than any other vehicle out there.

Compared to my dads blazer, my explorer handles way better, has way less body roll and is much less likely to roll over.. Even though my explorer is lifted 2 inches.

My old second gen got crunched between two full size silverados while I was stopped at a stop sign, both of them were totaled and crunched so bad it was scary, however my explorer just had some slight bumper damage and a dent in the rear hatch.

I truly believe the explorer is a safe vehicle, assuming you dont misuse it.

I do agree that most vehicles could benefit from a rollcage, however. I want one installed for offroading for sure.

I remember my parents bought a '98 Sport brand new. They still have it. Ford sent them a letter suggesting they inflate the tires to 25psi for a smoother ride. Dad tried it once and said "that's a stupid idea" and aired them back up to the door sticker recommendation.
My wife and I have owned 2 Sports and 2 4 doors, my parents have owned 2 Sports, and other members of my extended family have owned 1st or 2nd gens. None have proven to be dangerous at all, as a matter of fact we all feel quite safe in them.

That article is nothing more than someone trying to scare you. The Corvette and Mustang made the list only because people do stupid things. The Corvair made the list because of Ralph Naders book. The Yugo and Trident made it because they look more like a car than the cardboard boxes they really are. Likewise, the Explorer made it because of the its popularity and all the attention it got back in the early 2000's.

I don't give this article much weight.

It's what's known as "clickbait". Put a misleading headline that promises a dramatic article about issues that affect YOU somehow. The actual "article" is just rehashed stuff copypasted from around the web or hacked together by an unpaid intern. Every person who visits the page generates the site revenue from the ads on the page.

I find it a pretty comforting article. Especially considering this:

"The Ford Explorer may not be dangerous to its own passengers, but it still presents a danger to others. The Ford Explorer is 16 times more likely than any other family SUV to kill passengers in another vehicle during a car crash."

If I had to have the misfortune of being involved in a deadly accident but the passengers of only one vehicle were killed, put me in the Explorer! It obviously is so safe for it's own passengers that it will protect them even at the expense of the other vehicle's passengers.

The other "fault" pointed out in the article is a tire issue and a mistake on the part of Firestone and Ford together but is easily avoided with correct tires and tire pressure.

"The Ford Explorer is 16 times more likely than any other family SUV to kill passengers in another vehicle during a car crash."

9 times out of 10, statistics are made up on the spot. :)

la-me-ln-20140209-003.jpg

Hope it wasn't anyone from our forum

Speaking from my experience as a former tow truck operator: Nobody can survive in a car mangled like that. If, then they have a very good guardian angel.

That article in the original post sounds like someone was on a deadline and couldn't come up with something real.

3 of my good friends were in a 93 Explorer when they got clipped on the back fender by a guy who ran a stop sign. The Explorer flipped 3 times and landed on it's side where it slid for a while. My buddy in the back seat wasn't wearing a seatbelt and actually landed on the rear quarter glass as the car was skidding... he watched it break away underneath his hands and knees but all 3 guys walked away from the accident with minor bumps and bruises! I'd say the Explorer served them well that day. My wife totaled her 93 a few years ago when she clipped the rear of another car at highway speeds. Thankfully it didn't roll and she walked away with no injuries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back