1937 International D-30 Firetruck Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1937 International D-30 Firetruck Rebuild

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Several of my friends are firefighters and my “boss” is a retired fire chaplain. Most of them have classic/vintage fire trucks. We get together to rescue and work on these old trucks. A lot of times it’s so we can all decompress from the stresses of the day, especially the firefighters who deal with so much every time they’re on shift. It’s a lot of fun to be around these old trucks especially because the trucks all have very cool histories and stories. For a lot of the guys I would almost call it an obsession. Always on the hunt for another truck or vintage parts. That obsession is definitely contagious. Because now I have my own truck.

IMG_5649.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg

IMG_5648.jpeg

This is my 1937 International D-30 pumper. This truck was bought brand new by Littleton, Colorado VFD. It spent nearly 40 years in service at Littleton VFD, which would later become part of Denver South Metro. A friend of ours rescued this truck out of a barn near Parker, CO. It’s believed it spent most of its retirement in this barn. Our friend was trying to sell it back to Denver South Metro to be restored for a parade and funeral procession truck. After many meetings they chose not to purchase the truck. He sat on the truck for a while trying to sell it but didn’t really get any bites. So, it’s mine now!

Plan is to restore this truck to “used” condition. I don’t want to go full showroom clean restoration. I just want it in better condition than what it is right now. Fortunately our friend stripped down a 1938 D-30 flatbed to get most of the needed parts. Between the two trucks I have several duplicate parts. Not so easy finding parts for trucks this old. Makes finding parts for 30 year old Explorers seem easy!

We also have a huge pile of pictures and history on this truck. As I make progress and as the pictures find their way to me I’ll post here. Here’s one from the late 40’s or early 50’s outside Littleton fire. My D-30 is on the far left.
FB_IMG_1682686124361.jpeg

Need to get the motor and trans bolted into the chassis and get it running. Once it’s running all of the equipment will get stripped off so it can be painted. Super excited to be working on this piece of history.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are those 2 piece rims?

The barn out it Parker, did it have a bunch of other fire trucks in it? Belonging to a gentleman named Peter? He would be pretty
Old now. I think I have seen that truck before

Wicked score! Wicked cool history!! Great project!!!

Are those 2 piece rims?
Yep! They’re the old split rims.

The barn out it Parker, did it have a bunch of other fire trucks in it? Belonging to a gentleman named Peter? He would be pretty
Old now. I think I have seen that truck before

Wicked score! Wicked cool history!! Great project!!!
It might have been! I’ll need to ask my friend who bought it from there. I think it was an older lady selling things off.

Yep! They’re the old split rims
Do you plan to replace those grenades? Does it have front brakes? Is the rear shoes and drums, or is it a driveline brake only? How many transmissions? I drove an old international cabover that was a triplex. You'd wrap your arm through the steering wheel and use both hands to shift.

Plan right now is to just foam fill the tires. I can get new ones through Coker but they’re pricey and it doesn’t really solve much. For the amount this will get driven foam fill will be good enough.

It does have front brakes! Front and rear are drum and shoe. It also has the driveline brake as well.

Just a single transmission. Surprisingly it’s a four speed. I have two transmissions for it. One that was in the back of this truck and another from the 1938 parts truck. The parts truck had a two speed rear end so the trans from it has the corresponding lever. I don’t think this truck has the two speed rear end. If it does though we’ll use the lever assembly.

Always amazes me seeing guys drive the triplex trucks. Takes quite a bit of coordination!

My friends an old international bus he converted to an RV. It has a 2 speed rear axle and 2 transmissions. I'll be following this project. I like classic vehicles!

20230728_114748.jpg

20230728_114730.jpg

wx_camera_1690588434994.jpg

20230728_130354.jpg

I'll send you a PM, looks like I'll be in Aurora Saturday night.

Peter was an older gentleman who collected fire trucks in the Denver area for many years. He was a very successful dude and had a nice big place out in Parker. Peter was already older and mostly blind when I met him about 10-12 years ago now. Peter is the one who traded me pink slips, my 2001 f350 v10 lariat flatbed straight across for his 7.3 excursion. He was a really great guy in the time we spent together. He had about 10 fire trucks in a big huge warehouse, I believe your 37 there was one of them….

Peter was an older gentleman who collected fire trucks in the Denver area for many years. He was a very successful dude and had a nice big place out in Parker. Peter was already older and mostly blind when I met him about 10-12 years ago now. Peter is the one who traded me pink slips, my 2001 f350 v10 lariat flatbed straight across for his 7.3 excursion. He was a really great guy in the time we spent together. He had about 10 fire trucks in a big huge warehouse, I believe your 37 there was one of them….
So an update on this for you Jamie… my truck was not bought from Peter’s place. However, Peter is still alive. Sounds like he’s slowing down and getting near the end. He still has a few fire trucks sitting around. Couple of my friends are looking at buying two or three of them from him. If that happens I’ll grab some pictures to see if you recognize them.

*****in!! Man oh man that guy is a trooper! He is a big hero in my life, we really enjoyed meeting him, hearing his stories and best of all
Making a great deal.. he really needed my flatbed superduty , it was very important to him that the v10 was a Windsor built unit and the truck was clean with low miles, and the dude could not hardly even see…. He took our word for it……he did not need the excursion he had built for his daughter, she would t drive it, too big, so it was a win win

I will Always remember hanging out with him he was so excited about his trucks!!! He is a big part of Colorado history and a big part of American history I believe he was a fighter pilot in the Air Force. I share his passion for American metal.

Thank you Tim, I am sharing this info with my wife who is also thrilled to hear he is still doing well.

Do you happen to know where your 37 IH fire truck was built? I have a 38 that was built in Kansas City.

Back