1993 Ranger 4.0L - Later Model Engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger 4.0L - Later Model Engine?

Bielstein

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 4.0L
I have a 1993 Ranger with a 4.0L OHV engine. It's almost shot, so I want to replace it. From the research I have already gathered, I can assume that with a few change over's a newer model engine out of a 1996 Ranger/Explorer/Aerostar would slide back in nicely. But what about those newer engines? What if I wanted to put an engine in from a 2000 model Explorer (OHV), can that be done without extreme change over?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1993 Ranger with a 4.0L OHV engine. It's almost shot, so I want to replace it. From the research I have already gathered, I can assume that with a few change over's a newer model engine out of a 1996 Ranger/Explorer/Aerostar would slide back in nicely. But what about those newer engines? What if I wanted to put an engine in from a 2000 model Explorer (OHV), can that be done without extreme change over?

My personal favorite explorer/ranger v6 engine (or any v6 engine for that matter) is the the 4.0L OHV "cologne" v-6 which is what you have. it's very reliable (if not overheated) and makes good torque and is fairly efficient. it has little variation between '90 and '96 except very slight differences in the heads, pistons, fuel injection system etc. all years made about the same power. if you want to do an engine swap to another year which has any differences, you will also need to swap ECU's, wiring harnesses, possibly transmissions etc. and you'll need to be sure the new ecu is compatible with any existing hardware you plan on keeping (abs, transmission, etc)

if i were you, i'd rebuild (or have rebuild) the original engine. it is arguably the best engine for the job, and a fresh build will make it like new (unlike a JY engine swap etc).

if you're interested in increasing horsepower, there are a number of ways you can do that as well. with the simplest being a cam change, the more extreme being pistons from a later year, heads from an earlier (this combo will give lower compression ratio) and you can run quite a bit of forced induction. (i'm working on a turbo build like this)

thats very helpful info, thank you very much.
Sadly, the existing 4.0L engine in my ranger cannot be rebuilt. I can get an engine from a 2000 explorer with the same style v6 from a salvage yard at an excellent price, the only problem is; if i cant adapt the engine to be compatable for a 1993 model... im stuck with it. the computer system at the salvage yard has info on my engine and it reads that 93-94 engines are the same. It goes on to read that a 95-96 model engine would fit with an intake swap along with the fuel injection.
My main goal is to discover the difference with the 97 and newer engines. Ive tested this 2000 explorer engine and it runs great, but i dont want to lose money on a guess...
-thanks

Anyone else have info to add? I'm getting ready to attempt this. I have a 93 Ranger 4.0 that I bought with the motor knocking and I have a 4.0 OHV out of a 99 explorer sitting in my shop that I'm planning to swap in. I know I will have to change intakes and probably exhaust manifolds. Anything else major?

if you take all of the senders off of the early motor and put it on the newer motor plus change returnless fuel rails for the fuel rails off the older engine it should work fine.
roscoe

You might need to change the lower intake, or, use the thick spacer on the newer engine to fit your upper intake. The fuel rail and injectors, plus the sensors as mentioned above. If your 93 already has EGR you might be able to avoid the intake swap but you will need to change the fuel rail and injectors so going to the metal upper might be better. If you get a valve cover gasket set, most of the gaskets you need will be in there, order for the year of intake you intend to use.

Your 93may or not have a cam sensor. This would need to be changed over as well .

Use the wiring and lower/upper manifold from original motor...the newer will have cam sensor, leave it unplugged...thays all you need..

I can get into specifics in the difference in internals but honestly unless you really want to know it doesn't matter..as long as you change the upper and lower manifold and use original wiring there is not difference

Hi

I have a ford ranger diesel 2.2 diesel 2013 model. It has very poor pickup and does not go beyond 70km/hour. I had the injector and the pumps serviced and changed but still has the same issue. Milage is 80000 km. Can it be a sensor or something else... need help

Sharvint chand

Back on topic. I pulled the old 93 4.0 last night and had a chance to do some comparing. Going to have to swap upper intake, exhaust manifolds, motor mounts and engine wiring harness. Also the 93 is a 6 bolt pattern for the flywheel and the 99 is an 8. Luckily I had kept the 8 bolt when I pulled the 99 motor a few years ago.

I didn't actually swap the wiring yet but now you have me thinking I'm going to have to change lower intake also to make the injectors work. The bolt pattern where the lower meets the upper intake is the same so I was assuming I could just bolt on the old upper and not mess with the lower intake/injectors. Do the injectors use a different electrical plug?

Back on topic. I pulled the old 93 4.0 last night and had a chance to do some comparing. Going to have to swap upper intake, exhaust manifolds, motor mounts and engine wiring harness. Also the 93 is a 6 bolt pattern for the flywheel and the 99 is an 8. Luckily I had kept the 8 bolt when I pulled the 99 motor a few years ago.

I didn't actually swap the wiring yet but now you have me thinking I'm going to have to change lower intake also to make the injectors work. The bolt pattern where the lower meets the upper intake is the same so I was assuming I could just bolt on the old upper and not mess with the lower intake/injectors. Do the injectors use a different electrical plug?
The injectors in the 99 are sequential fire in the injectors and the 93 are batch fire..you can use the 99 lower manifold and injectors (they are better injectors and should have same plug,cant rember when they changed plugs)but will need the wiring from the 93..the 99 will have a cam sensor also,leave it unplugged..

And yea 97 up are 8 bolt,assumed you wouldve grabbed the flywheel or flexplqte with the motor,luck you had one.

Ended up not swapping exhaust manifolds. The 93 uses bolts to attach and the 99 uses studs that are a lot shorter. The 99 look like they flow slightly better and the only other difference is the collector studs are smaller and about 1/2in farther apart. Ended up notching the brackets on the y-pipe to fit and it worked out fine. Fired it up last night just to make sure everything was smooth and quiet. Going to finish buttoning everything up this even and give it a shake-down run.

The 99 heads have smaller exhaust ports than the 93,so technically the 93 flow better..the 99 are designed to be a higher velocity to help the cats burn more efficient. .

Powerwise stock your never know a difference.

Good to hear everything fired up,good luck on shake down

Got it all back together Friday night. Took it for a test drive and motor was great. Brakes on the other hand were really spongy. Needs a few other little things but seems solid overall. Guy I am putting it together for seemed pleased so that's a plus also.

Use the wiring and lower/upper manifold from original motor...the newer will have cam sensor, leave it unplugged...thays all you need..

I can get into specifics in the difference in internals but honestly unless you really want to know it doesn't matter..as long as you change the upper and lower manifold and use original wiring there is not difference
Please explain what " upper and lower manifold means" I follow the sensor changes but I dont understand what is meant by the other. Please explain if you will please......

Please explain what " upper and lower manifold means" I follow the sensor changes but I dont understand what is meant by the other. Please explain if you will please......
There is two parts to a manifold. The lower which has the injectors and fuel rail ..the the upper which has the throttle body attached to it..they are different in many ways..easier to swap both,then the wiring..

these have 2 part manis upper and lower jd explains it well. they cinnect to each other. why 2 part? not sure but its the way they come

Hey man!

I just put a 2000 Ranger block into my 1991 ranger 4.0. I didn't change ecm or anything else. Used all the intake and injection and accessories on the front from my 1991.

There are some differences in the pistons and heads- but as long as you match up the pistons and heads you will be fine. You can even mix/ match for a higher compression setup. I choose to use stock compression so the best heads to accomplish that with my 2000 pistons were 95tm heads. I also could have used 97tm, 98tm heads but they have different sized exhaust ports for emissions and the 1995 heads (95tm serial number) will keep the compression matched up with the 2000 pistons.

You can check out my build thread to see the journey. It was a lot of work and I tried hard to use New Old Stock Motorcraft parts as much as possible, but now I am happy and I think I pretty much have a new factory engine in my 1991 ranger- I hope it runs for another 300k miles.

Good luck man!

Kirby

i think sohc pistons bump compression a bit iirc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah @jd4242 helped me a bunch too. The SOHC pistons bump it up a bunch and combination of older pistons (I think the 1994 style), with a newer head (1995+) would also bump it up. But I had a motorcraft rebuilt 2000 shortblock- so I have 2000 pistons already and with a 93tm head, it would have been a lower compression- so that is why I went with a 1995 head. The 1995 also has the same size exhaust ports as the earlier heads like my 1991- so those exhaust manifolds worked well. Also to clarify, I did use the 1991 upper and lower intake.

Back