• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer dash bulb change

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
I have been looking around,and i am wondering if there is a way to change the instrument cluster bulbs from green to something else like blue? i have to get into the cluster anyway to fix a bulb and if someone else has done this i would appreciate some info. also i have already had the dash cover off to clean the instrument cluster, and could not get the entire cluster out. :mad:
some help and pics would greatly be appreciated!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed.

the color is actually determined by the lenses in the dash themselves, the bulbs are white light. changing the color would be possible by recoloring the overlays but I'm not sure how you would go about that part of the process. I know it would involve removing the cluster and disassembling it, but after that I don't know what they look like inside.

Use different color LEDs.

There are threads on this in the performance lighting section.

wow that took forever to respond haha this project went to the bottom of my to-do list because of my transmission gah!

You can change the color to a blue-green rather easily with either blue 194 bulbs (either the $4.99/pair ones at the parts stores or buy some cheap sets online), or get the silicone bulb covers for around the same price...Auto Meter sells them in a 3 pack (part number #3207) for ~$4.99 some places, but again, cheap generics are sometimes available for less. You can use regular 194 bulbs, though I'd suggest while you have the dash apart to replace them, you do so with good quality Sylvania/Philips/GE long life bulbs.

Blue LEDs are of course better, if you spend the money to get quality ones. The cheap LEDs seem to be worse than using cheap 194 bulbs.

yeah thhat will work as long as the bulb is a T10 it will fit in the dash

I would love to do the digital dash, I have not done a lot of reading on it but its definitely something id consider,. in the mean time i would like to some how make the dash light up blue..

I would love to do the digital dash, I have not done a lot of reading on it but its definitely something id consider,. in the mean time i would like to some how make the dash light up blue..

Use blue led bulbs. There are posts here somewhere that will help you with it. As far as the digital cluster, there isn't a whole lot of info on it...those who have done it or have tried are pioneers...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307725&highlight=blue+led

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240166&highlight=blue+led

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267229

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200568

happy modding :)

Thanks for the info! Im kinda strapped until i deal with my a4ld everything else is on hold

Thanks for the info! Im kinda strapped until i deal with my a4ld everything else is on hold

My digi-cluster was under $100 in parts. Just a lot of time and patience. Reliable backlighting was the issue I had going on. Snot is really sick since I ran her up a guardrail, so revising the cluster is low on my list of priorities.

My digi-cluster was under $100 in parts. Just a lot of time and patience. Reliable backlighting was the issue I had going on. Snot is really sick since I ran her up a guardrail, so revising the cluster is low on my list of priorities.

I spent almost half of that just for LEDs (quality plug and play bulbs would probably cost more). $100 to do a digital cluster is a steal in my opinion compared to the price just to add LEDs to the same old stock cluster.

I spent almost half of that just for LEDs (quality plug and play bulbs would probably cost more). $100 to do a digital cluster is a steal in my opinion compared to the price just to add LEDs to the same old stock cluster.

My problem was reliable backlighting...if you could figure that out it would be awesome.

Back