1996 V8; P1400 code; No DPFE though | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 V8; P1400 code; No DPFE though

rt4me

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer V8
My check engine light came on today and I pulled a code P1400. This code has to do with the DPFE voltage, but from my reading (both online and a non-factory shop manual) the 96 Explorer with the 5.0 V8 didn't have a DPFE unit. Anyone know how a code would come up for a part the vehicle doesn't have and what it would be complaining about? Possibly an EGR issue? Or, is my information incorrect and there is a DPFE unit and I just don't see it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is DPFE sensor, it is mounted on the intake manifold near the firewall, just in front of the trans dipstick. It should be silver in color, one connector and two hoses.

It should have a pfe mounted directly on egr valve

I'd guess the EGR sensor, or EGR itself. In my experience, it's always the EGR. I even tried cleaning mine, with no luck. Just replace it, and hopefully be happy you did.

No, there's no DPFE - flow is not actually measured in the early 5.0 Explorers. They only sense the position of a pin to sense open or closed, and it'll error if there is a lot of buildup on the pin and it fails to seat properly. Like I said, I've tried cleaning it, and never had any luck. Now I just replace it when I have a problem, and don't even bother doing anything else.

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked and saw that only the EGR valve was in the position described and was coming back to post that. I saw the postings before with the P0402 codes but didn't seem anything on a 1400.

I've got a EGR valve, just haven't put it in yet. I'll tackle that this weekend and see if it fixes my issue.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry I meant evp sensor mounted right on egr valve.

Listen to Joe. (rizzjc)He knows from whence he speaks. He has given me considerable help over the last several years, particularly on this issue!Hey Joe!

Back