1997 5R55E Reoccurring P0761 Fault | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 5R55E Reoccurring P0761 Fault

Today is the day! I am about to install the Sonnax VB, Motorcraft filter, and Duraprene gasket. Hoping this finally gets me back to five gears.
20201205_122833.jpg

I'll let y'all know how it turns out this evening!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After an afternoon of installing the VB, realizing I was cross threading the manual valve detent spring bolt, removing the VB, chasing the threads (and cleaning out the hole), and reinstalling the VB, I got everything back together and filled.

Much to my dismay, I still have no 2nd or 5th and P0761 came back. The only things I know I messed up were installing the dirtier filter of the two I had (got them mixed up) and I overfilling the fluid a bit.

I'll probably drain out some fluid tomorrow, but I'm not expecting the overfill to have any impact on the issue I'm seeing.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm really at a loss here. With a new VB, new solenoids, new servo piston, and properly adjusted OD band, what am I missing that could be causing this ?

Drained out about a quart of fluid today and then added about half of another quart before I got the level dialed in. Now it's right around the second dot on the dip stick (not quite into the cross hatches). Not surprisingly, P0761 still came back.

At this point, I'm guessing either the OD band is damaged or I'm dealing with an electrical issue (transmission wire harness, PCM, or otherwise). Anyone have ideas for how I might rule out any of these options?

I hoped my ATSG manual would have a diagram for which pins of the terminal block on the trans case go to which solenoids, but I didn't see one. I'd think some resistance checks could diagnose any harness issues if I knew which terminals to pair up with the multimeter.

That's a good thought, about all that's left is those two, electrical or the band worn out.

Bummer, by the way things were looking there was a decent chance the valve body would take care of it.

I dont believe its going to be anything electrical, the 761 code is a performance code, it would be different if it was a circuit code like a p0763 then we would be looking for electrical issues.

Unfortunately the valve body replacement didn't fix it but it did let you know what it's not and that means that the problem will be inside the transmission. At this point there is nothing else to do other than pulling the transmission. You seem to be handy and have good attention to detail and I think this is something you could handle if you feel up to it.

I went through my ATSG manual this morning and read through a few 5R55E removal/rebuild threads. Unfortunately, the rebuild job doesn't look like something I have the time or space to do properly.

Faced with a $1500 remanufactured transmission or a $2500 rebuild in a truck with a KBB under $1200, I think it has come time for the rig to move on to a better place.

Back