1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

98 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

I wanted to wait till the truck was done b4 posting here, but here I am, the truck is done.... FINALLY.

The gears and locker are in, and the new driveshaft is in, and it works great, I had it out on the highway and it seems to get a better ride at higher speeds..... Good thing....

Specs:

D44 Front axle from a 84 Grand Waggy wide-trac
4:10 Gear ratio Locked
Warn Manual hubs
Leaf spring suspension
Rancho 5000 shocks all around
94 X steering box
Tom Woods custom front driveshaft
Woodring driveshafts custom rear driveshaft
rear SOA and 3" blocks
Modified Tranny Crossmember (to allow driveshaft to fit)
all the rest of the SAS is custom fabricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, this is Lizards thread. That is one monster of a truck. Would love to set mine up just like that. Or anyone elses with a SAS for that matter.

Shhhh 32's Limited

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

DAMM
So Now we have to call him a big dawg

thats Mr. Big Dawg to you pal :D

I was talking about the truck.
Not you :p

help

i was wondering if you had a write up and a parts list of the SAS. i need major help with getting mine going. I know i got a ranger but the 00 ranger and 98 explorer have the same suspension underneath i think right? So what ever you got willhelp.

Andrew

Hey lizard, looks great. I was wandering what the wheel mount to wheel mount distance was and is that axle a 5 on 5.5. did you swap out the rear axle shafts or get wheel spacer adapters. I would like to buy an axle this weekend and still need some info. Thanks man.

Looking forward to updating the pic collection at the All Ford weekend in a month, Chris :D

Attachments

• big skunk copy.jpg
    big skunk copy.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,825

2wd-4wd sas

i was wondering the same thing and also why you went with the leaf springs in the front instead of coils. Is it because of the flex? and when i get mine 4wd is that what i should do ? Leaf springs in the front?

Can you mix coil-overs with your standard shocks. I see people with lifted trucks running two shocks and two resevoirs in each wheel whell of their front axle, on independent front suspensions with coil. Can you run this kind of setup on a solid axle front with coil overs on it.....

yes but with the coil overs you have a lot of ajustability so you will probably wont need multiple shocks.

Guess Lizard's too busy to reply to his own thread, so I'll just post a new pic for him ;)

Attachments

• skunk copy.jpg
    skunk copy.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,717

Originally posted by Spas
Guess Lizard's too busy to reply to his own thread, so I'll just post a new pic for him ;)

Thanx Lindsy, Im really busy getting everything together for NEUROCK, the jeep needed alot, it even has my tires on it now. im running street tires for a while now

What's so funny about this picture you ask?

Well, once you take into consideration the fact that Chris is 6'5", I'm 5'9" and both of us are STANDING......

Sometimes you really have to be acrobatic to get back into the Skunk :D

Attachments

• silly copy.jpg
    silly copy.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,648

Idea for a new bumper sticker, Lizard: "follow me if you want to learn how to do it right" ;) Might piss off a few Jeepers, but hey....

Attachments

• skunky copy.jpg
    skunky copy.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,604

nice pix lindsy.....

As for the truck, Im really gettin sick of it, one thing after another is breaking, funny thing is, its not any of my modifications.... the SFA is working great, no matter how hard I beat on it, and I can get many ppl to comment on how hard I beat that truck, the tranny is gettin bad now, the t-case is shot, the power steering pump is shot, and now the damn truck is stalling all the time.... Im seriously concidering goin back to my blazer, not nearly as many problems.... is there anyone else out there that beats their 2nd gen like this??? and do you get the same problems???

Chris, you beat your truck harder than anyone on this site....on an almost DAILY basis! It's amazing you haven't broken more parts before now...try to be a little nicer to the old girl, wouldja?? Hang in there another year and I'll sell you my tranny and engine for cheap ;)

ok Chris, you get working on the Jimmy, I'll get working on my 79 Bronco:D, forget this IFS BS, but then again, I'm not going to beat the Bronc like I beat the ranger:p

Lizard I dont beat my X at all and my ps cooler and hose is all messed up for no apparent reason and I leak coolant whenever it feels like it. It will not for anywhere from 1 week to 3 months then it will leak a bunch for a day or 2 then stop. I am going to go back to stock and get an ATV
Gary

Originally posted by Spas
Chris, you beat your truck harder than anyone on this site....on an almost DAILY basis!

I have to agree with Lindsy here Chris.

The things you listed weren't all that suprising. My tcase is shot too now that i'm running 35s. I've already replaced my PS pump a year ago. That's the kind of stuff i expect to go bad. The tranny you should have seen coming. As for the miss, i don't know. But don't give up on all the hard work you've put into it. Just fix it right this time. Go for a C4 or C5 and get an Atlas II!!

Originally posted by lizardtrac
.... is there anyone else out there that beats their 2nd gen like this??? and do you get the same problems???

I beat the hell outta mine on the street, got a lead foot don't dodge potholes...and if you've got any idea of what the potholes here in Brooklyn are like- it's like off-road abuse!

Mine's an 01, but it's holding up to the abuse that put away three good cars in 2 years with no problems.

I got one question for you though...I found a D44 from an 82 Grand Waggy...I'm going to look at it (actually pick it up) tomorrow.

Is yours HP or LP?? Drum or Disc? and lastly- does it have the vacuum disconnect??

I've found all kinds of stuff on the Jeep Axles, but have come up wanting.

I want to go leaf as opposed to coil, and if this goes through tomorrow morning I'll be on my way.

By the way, if you got a closeup or two of your spring hangers...they'd be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Back