Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
So the thought has been tossed about here lately to get rid of the 44/9inch combo and try something new....

I have been doing a lot of looking and reading and i think i can pull this off....

I know that they will add weight but why not...

Looking for some feedback so i can think about this....

I plan to run coils front and rear. Remove the gas tank and remount it somewhere else...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is more to think about than just doing it....I would love to hop right into it and do it...I have seen a lot of trucks/J***s running rockwells and are big and flexy as anything...

It wont be street legal because i will only run breakes on the pinion....

Dibs on the 44! :D

Sounds like a great project Burns :D

Since the Rockwells are so heavy, they actually help your vehicle when you are on serious off-camber situatoins as massive axles lowers your overall vehicle CG - its like having boat anchors :D

ok this is good feedback...

This all depends on my funds here soon they should be good but im not sure yet.

I plan on running 46 inch tires and keeping it as low as possible.

This project is not for sure yet but it is a really good possiblity.

Oh boy i just learnt a great piece of info thanks to jamest

I didnt know that you can turn the chunks around to make the shaft on the other side.....

Does anyone know of some reading material that i can use to just learn about the axle itself???

Burns, go on Pirates there is a ton of info on there. Just be prepared for a rash of ****. They are ruthless over there.

I dont really mind that i just want to be really prepared to make this decsion because this will make my X nonstreet legal... So a big decsion for me.......

do it
but to another explorer you just started having fun with the one you got

Thats what this is about....I have had fun with the one i have....Built it myself with my dad and now i want to move to something not many people have...

Yeah with mine i think it would be nice but i dont want to put so much money in it this year......I think i can do it all on 4thousand.....So that will have to come next year.....

I emailed the guys a usa6x6 asking for all the info they could give me on the axles...Just waiting to hear what they say to really decied what is going to happen....It also depends a lot on my money.....

Just in case you were wondering on the same info i am:

Dimensions Wheel mounting flange-to-flange

Front axle - 79 1⁄2 inches
Rear axle, single wheel configuration - 69 1⁄4 inches
Rear axle, dual wheel configuration - 79 1⁄2 inches

Centersection:
Double reduction-style - The upper ring-and-pinion gearset drives an intermediate gear that, in turn, drives the big, gnarly bull gear. The differential or locker is housed inside the carrier sandwiching the bull gear.

Upper ring-and-pinion:
22-teeth on ring gear, 9-teeth on pinion = 2.44:1 Lower bull gear and intermediate gear: 33-teeth on bull gear, 12-teeth on intermediate gear = 2.75:1

Final gear ratio: 6.72:1 (combination of 2.44 ring-and-pinion and 2.75 lower gear)

Axleshaft: 1.62-inch, 16-spline

Differential: Open four-spider gear design or Detroit Locker (PN 225S-15)

Bolt pattern:
6-on-8 3/4

Rockwell Weigth & Weight Saving Options
Rockwell 2.5 toploader Front Axle - 670lbs
Rockwell 2.5 toploader Rear Axle - 500lbs

The above weights are with no brakes or backing plates. You will save ~80lbs per-side by removing the drum brakes. Replace the factory HEAVY brakes with light pinion brakes or wheel-mounted disc brakes.

For reference a chevy dana 60 front weighs 516 lbs

Steering

The stock deuce steering arm is held on by four bolts similar to an early kingpin-style Dana 60. You can find steering arms or full hydraulic steering kits.

Shaft Comparison

Shown from left to right are: a 1.31-inch, 30-spline Dana 44 axle; a 1.5-inch, 35-spline Dana 60 axle; and a 1.62-inch, 16-spline 2 1/2-ton axle. When narrowing housings, you must use either stock shafts or custom shafts. You can't just cut and re-spline a Rockwell inner shaft because the shafts neck down in the middle.

attachment.php

U-Joints

Shown from left to right are a Dana 44 U-joint and shaft assembly, a Dana 60 assembly and a Spicer-style Rockwell assembly. The Spicer joint measures a monster 5 1/16 inches from cup to cup. The cup diameter is 1 5/8 inches.
attachment.php

I dont really mind that i just want to be really prepared to make this decsion because this will make my X nonstreet legal... So a big decsion for me.......

That big decision will turn your X into a big truck though..... ;)

I have found digrams on how to tear the axles down and they really are just only bigger and heavier......

Yeah i wish there was a explorer owner who has done this i see it on jeep all the time and i think that its time to see a explorer crawling on in the tuff truck challange.....

You'll have to run a decent amount of lift and large tires to pull it off. The main challenge with keeping it low is driveshaft clearance and x-member. What size tire are you planning on running? You'll have to run a big one just just keep the gearing reasonable. You can lighten and shorten them ALOT by ditching the stock brakes, a pinion break will be very light. Run a small disk as they get very hot. Yes you rotate the chunk 180 ir you need, very adaptable axles.

You also may want to shave the housing, they stick down alot and you can really improve clearance by doing this. There is a great writeup no pbb about this, look around there...TONS of info

Good Luck and post pics!!!!

This is the front and rear setup i am looking into...Four link with coils...
normal_sj1.jpg

Im looking into a really close set up like this jeep has....
normal_8%7E0.jpg

Pinion breaks with hydro steering...They make different bottom pans for that will give around 1 3/4inch more clearance... The pictures in this post have 46 inch tires so im looking into a set

You just wanna go bigger becuase i got a dana 60, geez...jk.
I saw the article on pbb about shaving the rockwell. I believe it was in the tech department.
Nevermind, found it http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51753

Also on ebay, four of those tires in your choice of 46 or 53 inch can be had for 200 bucks for the set. Theres a military surplus supplier selling them, and has rims available too.

Good luck with this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good place to find out where to get the rockwells may be www.steelsoldiers.com its where all the duce and 5ton military truck guys hang out, If it was my project I think usa6x would be my last choice of where the source the axles from

Back