1/2 ton axle swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mulletmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Stanwood Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I'm currently in the process of swapping half ton axles under my 94 and I had a couple questions. I plan on taking off away bars and shocks, but I still want to drive it to work once in a while, any insight as to how it will ride will be great. Also I plan on swapping in 5.09 gears, is that a good ratio to still do freeway speeds without stressing the engine, but still having enough torque to get up trails?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With stock or 1.5"-2" lift, I have run without a front swaybar many times -- it is just fine at that height if you know how to drive. It is a little floaty and vague, but if you keep it down in turns you'll be fine.

How lifted are you right now?

I have never run without shocks. I assume it would depend on what springs you're running. If you're on saggy 22 year old springs it could be an adventure on bumps over 40 mph.

5.09 gears? How big are you planning? 35's? 37s?

With stock or 1.5"-2" lift, I have run without a front swaybar many times -- it is just fine at that height if you know how to drive. It is a little floaty and vague, but if you keep it down in turns you'll be fine.

How lifted are you right now?

I have never run without shocks. I assume it would depend on what springs you're running. If you're on saggy 22 year old springs it could be an adventure on bumps over 40 mph.

5.09 gears? How big are you planning? 35's? 37s?
It's stock height right now, and the new axles will add about 4 inches of lift, they're out of an 87 bronco. I plan on running 35's, maybe 37's of they'll fit

It all depends upon how you plan on installing the new axles; radius arms, 4 link, leaf springs, etc.. Mine drives better after the axle swap and no sway bars.

87 Bronco? So you're swapping in a TTB, not a solid axle?

Rear sway bars? Forgot about, you will barely notice they are gone. Front - it'll depend on how well your steering geometry is done. If it's done well and you minimize any bump steer, you might be able to get away with it. I don't run a sway bar on my SAS and it rides fine - but it's no race car.

Running without shocks though? I don't think I'd do that on the trail, let alone on the street. Things could get real dicey on the street

Do you plan to do this yourself?

87 Bronco? So you're swapping in a TTB, not a solid axle?

Rear sway bars? Forgot about, you will barely notice they are gone. Front - it'll depend on how well your steering geometry is done. If it's done well and you minimize any bump steer, you might be able to get away with it. I don't run a sway bar on my SAS and it rides fine - but it's no race car.

Running without shocks though? I don't think I'd do that on the trail, let alone on the street. Things could get real dicey on the street
They're from a 78, sorry I miss typed. And,i thought that if you wanted max amount of flex that you'd take off your shocks.

They're from a 78, sorry I miss typed. And,i thought that if you wanted max amount of flex that you'd take off your shocks.

Shocks are basically dampers - they stop you from bouncing. you want to make sure that your shocks are sized and mounted in such a way that they aren't the limiting factor for your flex. You don't want the axles hanging from the shocks at full droop, nor do you want them taking all the weight at full compression. That's the job of your springs and bumpstops/limiting straps (if necessary)

Shocks are basically dampers - they stop you from bouncing. you want to make sure that your shocks are sized and mounted in such a way that they aren't the limiting factor for your flex. You don't want the axles hanging from the shocks at full droop, nor do you want them taking all the weight at full compression. That's the job of your springs and bumpstops/limiting straps (if necessary)
Ahhh, thank you. Is there any good sites or literature that I can look at to get a better idea of how to set up my suspension to maximize my amount of flex with the best ride? I'm new to modifying vehicles and don't have much knowledge about suspension

Yes, go to this site's SAS registry, find one or more trucks that have an axle setup the way you're wanting, then read their corresponding build thread all the way through, to get a complete understanding of the how's and the whys of what they did.
Then and only then should you attempt your build.

Yes, go to this site's SAS registry, find one or more trucks that have an axle setup the way you're wanting, then read their corresponding build thread all the way through, to get a complete understanding of the how's and the whys of what they did.
Then and only then should you attempt your build.
Sweet, thanks a million

Back