2002 Explorer XLT Trasnfer Case locked in 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT Trasnfer Case locked in 4WD

peades

Reaction score
City, State
State Liner
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I found this place trying to figure out how to fix my transfer case problem on my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. It has an AWD/4WD transfer case that is locked into 4WD all the time causing major issues for turning. I looked around the old threads but didn't find much in the way of my specific issue.

I had a mechanic find an electrical fault code when he checked error codes and he said he re-soldered the ground wire and it did completely fix the problem for a while. The problem is now that when he did it it was very cold and I don't think the solder cooled correctly causing it to disconnect again.

Should I look into just replacing the entire transfer case shift module?

I am not sure if that is what has the short circuit or not but it seems like that is the only component of the T-case that is electrically controlled/driven. I can get one online for about $140 which beats the crap out of Ford's diagnosis which called to just replace the entire T-Case with a used junkyard case with no warranty for $1000+ and no guarantees.

If there are any other fixes people can think of I would love to hear them.
Thanks

I have heard that old units can get "lost" there is a small wire trace as part of the motor and it tells the module what location it is in Hi lo etc. may not be the problem but i thought i would throw it out there

Back