2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins

Dana 44 out of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer.

My plan is to get as little llift as possible as I dont feel like removing my body lift. So I am using the stock Waggy knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and likely using new waggy steering parts as well and keeping it 6 lug.

I will leave it spring under as to keep the lift minimal, and use 4" lifted springs. Doing it this way will save me from buying high steer knuckles and a high steer setup. Is this best way, maybe not, but it saves me alot money and keeps my lift to around 5".

Now for those who are asking themselves why am I even bothering with this SAS. My reasons are that my Sport Trac goes through UCA and lower ball joints every other month, and I destroy tires in under 8 months. The truck just cannot handle 35's. PLus it will be way stronger than the IFS, and will flex much more than my IFS system.

If anyone has any thoughts/recomendations/concerns, I welcome all the help you can offer.

I hope money does not slow me down, but the cold weather might, either way my goal is to have this done well before Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My bad 6cyl class also,
um my understanding is tech and getting signed up is from 2-6, starts at 6:30, my wife and brother will be there getting my truck tech and signed up, but i wont make it until 6:30 since I can't seem to get outta work until 4:30 in Columbia. Also thats on Firday night, next day our Hometown here in Linn, is having the fair, and mud run starts at 4:00, and is usually really good also, plan on coming home after the Union race, then washing truck saturday morning getting ready to do it all over again :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought some new superior axles and CTM u joints, but the stub shafts do not have the seal, like the stockers do. Do I need to be concerned with this? The seal that is on the stockers is metal and looks to be spot welded to the axle???

And if I need to replace it can these be obtained from a parts store? NAPA, Carquest, etc?

fordaxlevschevyshaftsmall[1].jpg

I dunno where you can get that metal backing thing but the rubber part I think comes with the "spindle bearing kit" - Napa part number "PGB PBK1", which is usually not stocked and needs to be special ordered a few days before.

798229.jpg

Some info here: http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana44hub.php
dana44hub11.jpg

Are those kits for the Jeep spindles? I do not have those parts on my axle now, and they did not come with my 5 x 5.5 conversion kit i bought.

Those kits are pretty much universal and are required for all Dana 44s. The spindle bearing is what locates the axle shaft which rotates inside the spindle. There might be a difference between the "big bearing" and the "small bearing" axles, but they both still need a spindle bearing or else the axle shaft will grind against the knuckle/spindle.
Posted via Mobile Device

To add- make sure you get a seal on there. Its okay to run a weekend or so without one, but long term dust or mud will turn into grime and eat that bearing up. :)

The metal parts are called slingers. I think broco graveyard has them.

Back