2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!!

Well I finally took the Exploder to the track tonight. With the help of Jim who was the cameraman we were able to make some pretty nice videos.

Tonight I really got a true understanding of how badly I need DR's or slicks. Even after I lowered the psi in my heavy-azz 20" street radials I still had to really feather the throttle out of the hole. For the first 15' I could only go about 1/4 throttle and then after the 30' mark I could start easing into full throttle. Even then it still hopped and skipped around.

I paid some ricer dude $5 so I could line up against a LS2 GTO. I MURDERED him. The guy was a crappy driver, but it was fun anyways. I also ran an Evo which got me in ET but I beat him to the finish line due to my much better RT.

Well enough of me blabbing, here are the videos.

KBX 13.7 ET

KBX vs LS2 GTO

KBX vs EVO

With traction the truck easily has a 13.4 in it. Just got to hook the power to the pavement. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn thats awesome

Impressive! Keep up the good work.

Looks great Robert. I see that the MPH is almost identical to your Lincoln LS. I'd love to be done with mine, but later. Regards,

Get some slicks haha. nice run, i bet that gto was surprised when you took em.

Nice! Keep it up!

CDW6212R said:
Looks great Robert. I see that the MPH is almost identical to your Lincoln LS. I'd love to be done with mine, but later. Regards,

Yeah I noticed that too when looking through all my timeslips for both vehicles last night.

The Lincoln has some REALLY good highway speed in it but it is doggish off the line; and of course the Explorer pulls pretty hard all around.

Going by the slips after the 1/8 mile the aerodynamics and weight difference plus gearing take over a little more it seems.

When comparing the best run in each vehicle the X had the LS by almost .3 sec for 60'. The X also ran 3mph faster to the 1/8th mile and then after the 1/8th mile to the 1/4 is when the LS gains the mph back to tie with the X, but the X still wins with an ET of 13.7 - 14.5 for the LS.

Just proves how much the LS loves the highway. ;)

What 60 foot times do you have so far? My 91 LSC SE with stock tires and gearing only got about 2.7 seconds, which is about .2 better than stock. I'll be wanting better than 2.0 seconds with future projects. Torque converters are costly, but there is magic inside of them. Regards,

why are u gettin in the water box and doing a burn out? i liked to just spin them over a lil bit b/c u dont wanna heat up a street tire just makes them spin worse plus the water gets in the tread and helps u spin a lil more. just sayin from my experance that tends to help

bows.gif
bows.gif
bows.gif
bows.gif

Awesome run! I know the guy in the GTO was stunned.

I love your truck, that kicks soooo much ass I can only imagine how much fun it would be around town..I might have to boost my 96 5.0L now....

CDW6212R said:
What 60 foot times do you have so far? My 91 LSC SE with stock tires and gearing only got about 2.7 seconds, which is about .2 better than stock. I'll be wanting better than 2.0 seconds with future projects. Torque converters are costly, but there is magic inside of them. Regards,

With the LS I am getting 2.3 second 60'....TBW sucks...

05greyedge said:
why are u gettin in the water box and doing a burn out? i liked to just spin them over a lil bit b/c u dont wanna heat up a street tire just makes them spin worse plus the water gets in the tread and helps u spin a lil more. just sayin from my experance that tends to help

Heating up street tires, contrary to popular belief, does help traction out. Being that they are comprised of a different rubber compound you dont heat them as much as a slick, but you should heat them no less. I have quite a bit of experience in this too and know that heating the street radials does help get them a little more sticky.

techieman33 said:
Damn that things fast, but stay out of the water box your just hurting yourself, just chirp 'em a bit out of the water box to clean any crap off.

I am not in any way new to this bro. Doing a burn out on street radials does help. Even though the grooves in the tires may get a little wet initially, the burnout will heat all that right out just fine, leaving a stickier tire than before.

Holy crap that is SWEET! Amazing!

Is your truck 4x4? I could of sworn somewhere you posted it was. With awd and a 100 shot i was running 14.0's all day but had a 60 foot of 1.7-2.0 consistant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

boominXplorer said:
Is your truck 4x4? I could of sworn somewhere you posted it was. With awd and a 100 shot i was running 14.0's all day but had a 60 foot of 1.7-2.0 consistant

Nope it isn't, it is 2WD. AWDROCKS's Explorer is all wheel drive, maybe you are getting us confused? Yeah if I had all wheel drive or 4x4 I could launch much better out of the hole but I chose 2WD to keep things light. After I change the rear end out and swap to slicks I will be able to hook the power to the ground with no big problem.

Back