2012 with Navigation - 6 month waiting time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 with Navigation - 6 month waiting time?

rx7rules

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited on Order
I talked to a salesman today who stated if I ORDERED a 2012 Explorer with Navigation that I would likely not get it until January 2012 due to navigation parts shortages due to the Japanese earthquake earlier this year. He stated any 2012 orders with navigation are on hold.

Can Cory or someone from Ford give me the facts on this? I don't want to wait 6 months in the order queue waiting for my 2012 to be built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be interested to find out what Cory says, but I don't think this could possibly be true. My understanding, and there is a thread around here discussing it, is that the hardware between nav and no nav is the same and its just a matter if having it activated so to speak. So, again, look forward to having Cory chime in, but I doubt this is true.

I'd be extremely interested to here Cory's response as well, since I'm 3 months in on waiting for an explorer order to be fulfilled, and now it's been changed to a 2012, that's at least 6 more months... not going to be interested at that point.

It'd be time to seriously consider an M Class or Acadia

Hey guys, I looked into this and found that commodities are subject to short supply throughout the model year ordering process. Check with your local dealer for details on ordering your new 2012 Explorer XLT. I’ll let you know here when I receive any further updates.

Cory

Hey guys, I looked into this and found that commodities are subject to short supply throughout the model year ordering process. Check with your local dealer for details on ordering your new 2012 Explorer XLT. I’ll let you know here when I receive any further updates.

Cory

Hmm. That's not really much of an answer, but I guess its better than saying that there is a shortage for nav units. I still think the dealer from the OP was probably confused with F150s, which are having a nav shortage supposedly. But, what do I know.

Cory, is your system already starting to track 2012 orders. If so, do any of the orders show something like a hold? Or do you not have access to that much detail?

My predicament is that there is a 2011 on a nearby lot that suits my needs. I was going to try to hold out for a 2012, but I'm not willing to wait 6 months.

Inconsistent answers from dealers

I guess the reason I posted here is to get the "real" status of ordering an Explorer Limited with navigation. I have talked to multiple dealers and I am getting different responses from a 6 month delay, small delay, no delay, no idea, etc. Each dealer is giving me a different answer.

I do not want to order an Explorer and find out in 10 weeks I need to wait 10 more weeks. What does corporate say about the current status of navigation parts for Explorers? I think goofydisneydaddy's question is a good one. Are their any "holds" on 2012 Explorer orders with Navigation currently?

Ugh, now I have a sincere concern. I've got months of waiting in already. Cory tell us you can dig up more information than this.

...Cory, is your system already starting to track 2012 orders. If so, do any of the orders show something like a hold? Or do you not have access to that much detail?

My predicament is that there is a 2011 on a nearby lot that suits my needs. I was going to try to hold out for a 2012, but I'm not willing to wait 6 months.
Yes, my system can track 2012 orders and I have not personally seen any that show they’re on hold. Let me know if there’s anything I can be of assistance with your choice between ordering a 2012 and purchasing the 2011.

rx7rules & JStellato, I requested more details about this and found that during the vehicle ordering process, at some point supplies in high demand could become tougher to get. We would do our best to get what you want on the new vehicle pending supplies at the time of order. We are not building retail units, only stock units and there are no holds at this time. I suggest submitting your order in with the dealer as soon as possible.

Cory

When we go to the dealer and place an order for a 2012 Explorer is that considered a retail unit? If that is correct then would it be safe to say that there is a general hold on retail units getting produced in favor of producing 2012 models based on a dealers preferences for a stock unit to sell off their lot? If that is the case that does not sound good for me as I placed an order last week for MY2012. If I have to wait 10 -12 weeks then get a call that my order is on hold because of parts supply I will not be happy because dealers had their orders filled first.

Stock vs retail units?

Cory, what is the difference between retail and stock units? Also, will 2011 Ford Explorers be built until 7/17/2011? Or are they being built now? Or will there be a factory shutdown at some point before 2012s are built?

When we go to the dealer and place an order for a 2012 Explorer is that considered a retail unit? If that is correct then would it be safe to say that there is a general hold on retail units getting produced in favor of producing 2012 models based on a dealers preferences for a stock unit to sell off their lot? If that is the case that does not sound good for me as I placed an order last week for MY2012. If I have to wait 10 -12 weeks then get a call that my order is on hold because of parts supply I will not be happy because dealers had their orders filled first.
Yes, the retail orders are not being built and I found that it’s too early to tell when that will happen. Through dealer communication with the factory, your salesman will be able to gauge how long it will be. I’ll also be keeping my eye on your order to make sure it’s not being slowed down.

rx7rules, retail orders are the ones for customers and stock are from the dealer. I posted this on another thread but just in case, I’ll post it here too: I looked into this and I verified that that we’ll be building 2011s until mid-Summer and we’ve started building 2012s now.

Cory

2012 order builds

Yes, my system can track 2012 orders and I have not personally seen any that show they’re on hold. Let me know if there’s anything I can be of assistance with your choice between ordering a 2012 and purchasing the 2011.

rx7rules & JStellato, I requested more details about this and found that during the vehicle ordering process, at some point supplies in high demand could become tougher to get. We would do our best to get what you want on the new vehicle pending supplies at the time of order. We are not building retail units, only stock units and there are no holds at this time. I suggest submitting your order in with the dealer as soon as possible.

Cory

Okay I think I understand what Cory is saying now when seeing his responses to this thread and the 2012 build status thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319702

If I understand what Cory is saying stock(dealer order) 2011 Explorers are currently being produced until mid summer. No retail(customer order) 2011 Explorers are being produced, which would explain why my(and others) 2011 order was rejected. At some point mid-summer the factory or the explorer line will be shut down to re-tool for MY2012. After the shutdown only MY2012 retail and stock orders will be produced. I would imagine that when MY2012 full production beings the normal factory allocation process will be in full swing. So if I have this right MY2012 retail orders will be produced along side stock orders. Previously it seemed as if MY2012 stock orders would be produced at first, then retail orders which would not make some of us happy to add to an already long wait time. So my question(s) to Cory can you give us more precision as to what mid-summer means? Is it July 1? July 18? And how long does a typical line retooling take? a day? a week?
I would also like to thank Cory and the rest of the Ford Customer service team for providing us this information. Having this information helps with the waiting we have to endure to get a car that is in high demand.

Cory,

Thank you for the wealth of information you provide us. Please keep us updated on what you hear as far as when the 2012s will begin production. Perhaps if you could let us know when you start seeing VINs assigned, that would be nice to know too. Especially if it is mine :)

To the best I can tell from what I've read here and from Craig on Facebook, MY2012 is to begin production on July 18, 2011. I hope Ford keeps to that date.

I've found this interesting site, arifleet.com, that seems to suggest this date is accurate (though I don't know how accurate their info is). If you click around in their publications, there is a wealth of information. See here and here. They seem to be a company that does fleet orders, but their website has lots of info about delay, holds, and production dates. Also, reading through their site also makes me think the OP's dealer was just wrong in stating that there is a 6 month delay. I think that dealer was confused with F150s or Mustangs, which seem to be having an issue.

Finally, for all those interested, here is a great link to a post about how the ordering process works - http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f61/ford-dealer-discusses-orders-allocation-19747/. I think this clarifies Cory's comment about commodities, which at times can become low or in short supply based on which orders request it, which is a different issue than a material hold for something that doesn't exist right now.

Border_Explorer & goofydisneydaddy, I appreciate all the kind words. I tried to get a more exact date but because it can vary so much, that was the most specific time frame I could get. I will do my best to keep everyone in the loop!

Cory

2012 w/Nav

I ordered my 2012 Limited on June 6. I was contacted by the sales manager on July 6th and advised that my Explorer was to be built the week of August 1st and is expected on the lot on, or about, August 15th.

That's a Limited with every option in the catalog, of course including Nav. So, no rumbles about shortages from this end.

Just talked to my dealer, and although my order was placed in APRIL I still have no VIN Number or Build Date. Awesome.

He suggested I call Ford Corporate. So dissapointing, why no communication from Ford. When does production start? Are the MFT Problems going to be resolved? Overheating Problem? A-Pillar Rattle? Rain Noise? I know my EX is coming soon, but so is Christmas!

I ordered 6/6 and have no VIN or further information on dates either. Ford's system is ridiculously stupid in that even retail orders are selected based on dealer allocation. You could have placed your order months earlier, but if your dealer doesn't get allocation that pass, then someone else can get their vehicle before you. I do know that at least two people on here have reported getting VINs though, and Border Explorer has a build date of 7/19, so production should be starting next week as we thought.

Though, trust me, I feel your frustration in waiting for VIN, I'm optimistic I will get my EX by the end of September. We shall see...

goofydisneydaddy is correct. I originally placed an order for a 2011 on 6/6, the next day I got a call that is was rejected and had to order a 2012. I placed an order for a 2012 on 6/8. Got a VIN on 6/24 which I did not expect that early. I figured I could reasonably expect the VIN in early July. My problem is I dont believe anything the dealership says. After the initial order screw up I have no trust, but I have to deal with them if I want the explorer. Then the dealership called me with a 7/19 build date, but I did not believe him. Only after the window sticker appeared did I believe him. He also told me the shipping estimate but I wont believe him until he calls me to let me know the car is in. One thing I did pick up on at the dealership is when you place an order at the dealership, the dealership does not ACTUALLY submit the order to Ford until a few days later(I am sure its different at all dealerships). I also overheard the managers talking about their dealership allotments and that if I ordered that day I would get 1 of their 3 allotments that were left. So I jumped...maybe I hit it right.

I'm glad to see you're making progress, Border. I placed an order for a 2011 on 6/7 and didn't find out that it would be changed to a 2012 until 6/28. I'm currently waiting on a VIN. The dealer seems uninformed and I've gathered more information reading these forums than working with the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have placed your order months earlier, but if your dealer doesn't get allocation that pass, then someone else can get their vehicle before you.

Some dealers will order customer vehicles as dealer Stock, instead of Retail. Back in April/May, Ford was giving preference to Stock orders to get units on the dealer's lots. That's how I got my Ex in 4 1/2 weeks....it was ordered as a Stock order, while those on Retail were waiting, and waiting......

Talk to your salesrep.

Back