• Register Today It's free!

2015 PIU steering wheel AUX 1-4

SauldM

Reaction score
City, State
Carteret
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Piu
Hi guys, any way to change the aux 1-4 on the steering wheel to control radio and stations. Right now they control nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need a replacement steering wheel with the volume and seek controls on it. This is also a good time to get a leather wrapped steering wheel, I did that with mine. You can pull a steering wheel from your local junkyard, or buy one off ebay, just be sure it fits your vehicle. My wheel came off a 2018 Ford Flex SEL, the electrical connection is the same.

Tools needed:
Allen wrench or long screwdriver to remove airbag
T50 Torques bit with extension
10mm wrench to disconnect battery.

Turn your vehicle on, make sure your wheels are straight, it'll make your life a lot easier putting the steering wheel back on.

Turn the vehicle off once wheels are straightened, disconnect negative terminal on the battery, let the car sit for about 20 minutes to let residual energy drain from the capacitors, airbags can still deploy if the capacitors are still charged.

After 20 minutes,

Remove airbag from old steering wheel. Once removed, place the airbag on the passenger seat FACING UP, the Ford emblem should be facing up, the airbag will become a projectile if it's facing down and it goes off for any reason.

Remove steering wheel. You can alternatively replace just the switches on your existing wheel, but that would require further disassembly. Be sure to not mess with the clockspring, place a piece of tape to keep the clock spring from spinning (Spinning it and putting the wheel on it will destroy it and may cause the steering wheel controls or horn to not work in any position and it'll turn the airbag light on).

Disconnect the electrical connection at the clock spring and remove the bolt holding the steering wheel on. Wiggle the steering wheel slowly and slowly remove it from the steering column. You may also notice the wheel moves while trying to remove the bolt. You can jam your legs against the steering wheel so it doesn't move as much.

(Installation is reverse of removal)

Once your old wheel is removed, feed the airbag connectors through the new steering wheel, and line the steering wheel up with the electrical connection on the clock spring. The steering wheel should go on in the same position (ideally center position) as it was removed.

Once lined up, tighten down the bolt and reconnect the electrical connection to the clock spring.

You can use your old airbag with the new steering wheel. Reconnect airbag connections and put the airbag back in. It's just clips, line it up and press firmly in, you should hear it click into place.

When you're finished, reconnect negative battery terminal and change these in FORScan:

IPC (AS BUILT) 720-01-02 to xxx0 xxxx xxxx
and
SCCM (AS BUILT) 724-03-01 to xx01 xxxx xx (if you have SYNC)

Also to note: If your PIU steering wheel has the media/mute buttons and not the voice and redial buttons, those buttons on the new steering wheel will not work as you don't have a SYNC module.

You will also have 2 permanent DTCs set for the GFM when switching the wheels. You can clear it by unplugging the GFM module. You can just ignore it entirely as it won't set a malfunction indicator lamp on the dash.

Hope this helps, good luck. This was the end result of mine.
20230106_144723.jpg

Not sure on that one, but that's what I've changed to get mine to work.
just to clarify that was audio only w/o sync. i mistyped the code.
audio /w sync (hands free) is what you posted.

0202 2806 audio only w/o sync.
0211 2806 audio /w sync (hands free)
0201 2806 AUX

just to clarify that was audio only w/o sync.
Thanks for clarifying.

I just ordered my steering wheel from ebay. Will work on it Friday. Thanks
Awesome! Let us know how it goes! Hopefully my guide will help. Hopefully you've invested in a leather wrapped one as well!

Waiting on second steering wheel, first one ok button and cruise not working. Lol I have a question? How do I remove the 4 aux information display and add the awd using as built?

Waiting on second steering wheel, first one ok button and cruise not working. Lol I have a question? How do I remove the 4 aux information display and add the awd using as built?
Probably got a faulty steering wheel. If you've done the stuff in FORScan in my guide I wrote, the AUX status indicators shouldn't be on the display.
IPC (AS BUILT) 720-01-02 to xxx0 xxxx xxxx
and
SCCM (AS BUILT) 724-03-01 to xx01 xxxx xx
Change IPC 720-01-02 Bxxx xxxx xx to enable the Intelligent AWD.

Probably got a faulty steering wheel. If you've done the stuff in FORScan in my guide I wrote, the AUX status indicators shouldn't be on the display.

Change IPC 720-01-02 Bxxx xxxx xx to enable the Intelligent AWD.
So IPC 720-01-02 should be changed to Bxx0 xxxx xxxx for AWD and steering volume button? Correct

So IPC 720-01-02 should be changed to Bxx0 xxxx xxxx for AWD and steering volume button? Correct
Correct. Change it to that if you want the AWD indicator. It'll say it's incorrect checksum, click yes on the warning. It'll automatically correct itself.

Correct. Change it to that if you want the AWD indicator. It'll say it's incorrect checksum, click yes on the warning. It'll automatically correct itself.
You know how to setup autolock after you get to certain speed?

You know how to setup autolock after you get to certain speed?
PIUs don't have the autolock function, enabling it won't do anything. It'll break DTE.

Ok AWD WORKS GREAT, but seek button only works up and volume down sends radio volume higher and volume not work and arrows with ok button not working properly with 724-03-01 using 0202 xxxx xx
0201 xxxx xx does nothing.

Ok AWD WORKS GREAT, but seek button only works up and volume down sends radio volume higher and volume not work and arrows with ok button not working properly with 724-03-01 using 0202 xxxx xx
0201 xxxx xx does nothing.
what did your old PIU steering wheel have did it have the MEDIA/MUTE buttons in the middle or the voice and phone icon? did you also do SCCM?

refer to mrdot's guide in FORScan, should work

what did your old PIU steering wheel have did it have the MEDIA/MUTE buttons in the middle or the voice and phone icon? did you also do SCCM?

My steering wheel bezel had 4 aux on it. And I did change the sccm SCCM (AS BUILT) 724-03-01 to xx01 xxxx x

Where can I find mr.dots guide?

Where can I find mr.dots guide?
just to clarify that was audio only w/o sync. i mistyped the code.

0202 2806 audio only w/o sync.
0211 2806 audio /w sync (hands free)
0201 2806 AUX
literally right above

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

literally right above
My apologies, that's correct what I used 0202 2806 is what works with those issues of buttons not responding properly. Is it possible the harness or switch pack be malfunctioning?

Back