2016 Explorer Remote Start Climate Behavior | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Before you can have heat the engine has to be above the temperature you set. Let’s say it is 10 outside and you left the EX out all night. The engine coolant is 10 degs. You start up the engine remote or by key. You set the temp to 75. The engine has to be above 75 to even start to provide heat. You turn on the inside fan to max it cools the coolant temp from 75 down to below that because of the heat exchanger or heater core. When engine gets above 100 it will start heating the cabin. On my 17 I hit auto and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes on remote start before heading out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread was moved to this one covering the same issue. See some of the earlier posts on this page. There are other threads about this issue as well that you can try and find with the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

I was in the middle of typing a reply when you did this. Reloaded threads and I thought I lost my mind typing a reply to a thread that wasn’t there. Well time for a frosted malt beverage

:chug:

Glad the Canadian EX comes standard with a block heater.
I've plugged mine in every night and it greatly accelerates the engine warm up time.

^^ and greatly accelerates your electric bill lol.

Thoroughly frustrated with the Explorer! We had rain for two days and then freezing temps moved in freezing it solid so I use the remote start, let in run for almost the full 15 minutes, go outside, still can't get in and I look inside and the heat is NOT EVEN ON! How am I supposed to get in if the dang thing won't heat from the inside? Everything is set to AUTO what is going on? I won't do this for another winter it may be going bye bye soon! Ugh!

The heat is ON but it won't come on full force until you get in and turn the ignition. At that time the seats go to full heat and the blower will increase air flow. This has been discussed here several times. I believe a member stated that if you want the blower ON full then use the "last Settings" option and have the blower set to high before turning the vehicle OFF the last time you used it. If using that setting, be aware that the seats and other features that come ON with AUTO will not. In your particular situation, I doubt it would have mattered which setting you had used. Rain followed with freezing temps will usually produce the same results with most vehicles.

Peter

My 2016 Limited does cool down with the remote start, you just have to give it a few. Certainly if I leave it for 2 minutes, it is cooler than it was.

Getting in it and turning on the ignition defeats the purpose of remote start. The idea is that it is warm (or cool) BEFORE you get in it. It took 45 minutes for the engine to begin heating it so I could get in it. Temps were only in the 20's not below zero. I shouldn't have to set the thing on full blast every time I exit the vehicle. I would need to be physic to determine when I will need the remote start and when I wouldn't. There should be a feature where you can set the parameters for how it functions every time you use it.

An idling vehicle on a cold day is not going to get the inside warm in 15 minutes (unless you have a block heater plugged in). When it is in "auto" mode, the blower will not turn on high until the coolant temp has reached a certain temp which is why the fan stays on low. That would be like getting in the vehicle, starting it, turning it on high and sitting there while the vents are blowing ice cold air on you. If you started the car while inside on a 20* day and started driving with it on "auto", it will do the same thing, the fan will be on the lowest setting and as the coolant temp increases, the fan temp will increase slowly. It will finally go almost full blast once the engine is warm and the air is hot.

So the vehicle is acting as it should.. not blowing air until the air is warm.

What Peter is saying is to override that and have it set at full speed so when you remote start, it doesn't do what it is supposed to... it will instead blast cold air on high until the coolant temp rises.

Not sure what else you expect, you can't have 150 degree coolant instantly on a cold day to give you heat.

still can't get in and I look inside and the heat is NOT EVEN ON! How am I supposed to get in if the dang thing won't heat from the inside?

What you are doing wrong is not understanding how it all works. On remote start, you DO NOT SEE anything on the inside. There are NO lights, NO screen, NO buttons lit up BUT the system is working. When you turn the key or hit the start button (if you have push button start) to override the remote start so you can get in gear and drive off, the HVAC system reboots itself and that is when the lights and screen begin working.

But again, everything is working on remote start even though YOU CAN'T see it from the outside looking in.

Can we get confirmation that as the motor heats up it will also turn the fan speed up?

I'm more concerned with the fact that the AC doesn't auto turn to HIGH when using remote start. FL summers are going to be annoying if it doesn't do it.

Can we get confirmation that as the motor heats up it will also turn the fan speed up?

I'm more concerned with the fact that the AC doesn't auto turn to HIGH when using remote start. FL summers are going to be annoying if it doesn't do it.
It will once you've turned the ignition ON. It won't if you are talking about it being in the 'Remote Start' state. Once I start driving and the engine warms up the fan speed increases dramatically.

Peter

Back