2020 Explorer XLT AWD- getting the shaft from dealership | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer XLT AWD- getting the shaft from dealership

Kree18

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'20 Ford Explorer XLT AWD
So this is my beauty. I bought it in Dec of 22’ with 34,000. I drive a lot (live in BFE), so today when I dropped it off at the dealership…again…it has 69000 miles. I have an extended warranty until 90K miles/2026 because dealership f'ed something up in the computer last year.

This is what it does:
When the car is off, turn it on and shift out of park then it will start jerking and lunging trying to go forward (even trying to shift into Reverse). Never took my foot off the brake but its like the car is trying to go forward and cant decide if it wants to listen to the brake pedal or the gear shifter. It has done this several times in a parking lot and I have a panic attack thinking its going to jolt me into the car parked in front of me. When it does this the break pedal becomes a literal ROCK and I cannot push it down anymore to try to get the car to stop moving. The only way that I have found to get it to stop is to (as I like to call it) "reset the car" by putting it back into park, turning it off, getting out (or open and close the door) wait for it to fully power off the ACC and then try to turn it on again. and then it's like it never happened and everything works fine...for a while.

Over the past few months, the car has been jerking and lunging when shifting out of park maybe 3/4 times (not a lot for time span) and in the last 5 DAYS its done it 4 more times. I see a lot of other chats on here about the jerking between gears while driving but not from park. Do you think this would be the same issue? I don't want to be driving this with my infants in the car if it's a pretty bad issue with the transmission or something. Google says it's a known problem with Ford... (note to self-do that BEFORE you buy the car...)
IMG_6830.jpeg

The dealership is treating me like an idiot since I am a girl. Apparently, that means I don't know what my car is doing while I am driving it. my Fiancé is not car savvy so he isn't able to help, and they only listen to me when my dad is standing with me (not involved just staring off into space behind me). Can anyone here help me to know what the heck its doing and how to convince them that I am not making it up and tell them what to do to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have them reflash the transmission control module computer

Does it only do it when it's cold? Warm/normal operating temperature? Are they having issues duplicating it? Have you told them what google says?

Does it only do it when it's cold? Warm/normal operating temperature? Are they having issues duplicating it? Have you told them what google says?
It does it all the time. No matter the temp. I could be out driving it around all day and its fine and when I get in it after running all day it'll just start doing it again. Yes they are having issues getting it to duplicate for their techs. I told them this morning about the call I had with Ford Customer service where they confirmed that car is known to have similar issues.

Here is my experience as documented in the thread referenced above. No idea if this is the same for you.

Our ST does this as well. I have found the issue to be completely repeatable. You have to step on the brake pedal to start the car. I have found if I press hard on the pedal when starting the car the problem will occur when backing. If I press lightly when starting the car, it will operate normally. I am guessing it has some sort of calibration function when starting and pressing hard on the pedal causes it problems.

It does it all the time. No matter the temp. I could be out driving it around all day and its fine and when I get in it after running all day it'll just start doing it again. Yes they are having issues getting it to duplicate for their techs. I told them this morning about the call I had with Ford Customer service where they confirmed that car is known to have similar issues.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

If it happening that often, record every time you start to drive. If you get it on camera it should help you a LOT.

This is one of the things the dealership is telling me is the problem, even though yesterday they said that I needed a new Transmission....cant make up their minds...
Have them do it and let us know

Back