2wd Engine with 4wd Transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd Engine with 4wd Transmission?

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
My transmission died recently and I was thinking about taking some time and rebuilding it myself. I was thinking while I had it apart I would swap out the output shaft etc. to convert it to a 4wd transmission. I started reading that the 4wd engine is different than the 2wd engine in that it has a balancing shaft and that most people who mate a 2wd engine to a 4wd transmission have problems with it shaking off timing chains etc. If I use all the same power train with the exception of the rebuilt transmission will I have a problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know where you got that stuff about the engine, there were 2 different 4.0 engines, one was a standard push rod engine, OHV, the other is the SOHC.
There is a whole lot more to it than just converting the trans to 4X4. You need a Transfer Case, a 4X4 front Diff. drive shaft, computer, 4X4 wiring, etc.
My advice is don't even thing about converting, stay with the 2 wheel drive.

Then why do they list engines either 2wd or 4wd? Or are they just stating what it came from?

Yes, the SOHC had a balance shaft in the 4x4 engine, but not in the 2wd. There have been plenty of people who swapped engines between 4x4 and 2wd without problems. Its is generally believed that the balance shaft is to cure a slight vibration in 4 low.

So then my original 2wd engine will work without much hassle with my transmission if I convert the trans to 4wd?

convert the trans to 4wd, get a manual shift t-case (eliminates computer issues), and get front end parts from junkyard.

It could probably be done on the cheap depending on how good you are at researching and sourcing parts needed.

Personally i would just fix the 2wd trans, sell it, and then buy a 4x4 with the money.

Would the 4x4 trans bolt up to the 2wd engine? I thought I read somewhere that they had slightly different bolt spreads.

convert the trans to 4wd, get a manual shift t-case (eliminates computer issues), and get front end parts from junkyard.

That's the route I was going to take when I started all this thinking.

Would the 4x4 trans bolt up to the 2wd engine? I thought I read somewhere that they had slightly different bolt spreads.

Yes they are exactly the same. Where ever you are reading and hearing these LIES; stay away from, cover your ears, etc.

Sweet. Ok. Then let the fun begin. Thanks for the clarification.

ok i have a 94 explorer and the transmission died its a 4wd can i swap that with a 2wd? if so how difficult do you think it will be?

ok i have a 94 explorer and the transmission died its a 4wd can i swap that with a 2wd? if so how difficult do you think it will be?
If you are willing to lose the 4wd and convert to 2wd, it should be a straightforward swap. You'll lose the transfer case and front driveshaft, and you'll probably need a longer rear driveshaft.

If you want to keep the 4wd, then you have to replace the output shaft on the transmission. On a manual transmission, this means partial disassembly of the transmission. On an automatic, it means complete disassembly (which means you essentially end up rebuilding the transmission). If the goal of the swap is to avoid rebuilding the existing transmission, the swap is probably not worth it. The cost/effort of converting from 2wd to 4wd would likely be about the same as rebuilding the existing transmission.

ok one more question i have a 94 explorer sport 4x4 4.0 auto i hear a 2.9 trans can bolt up to and 4.0 is this true if so would it be a straight swap or will i have to change some things

ok one more question i have a 94 explorer sport 4x4 4.0 auto i hear a 2.9 trans can bolt up to and 4.0 is this true if so would it be a straight swap or will i have to change some things

The 2.9l and the 4.0l share the same bolt pattern. So, yes, it will bolt up.

You will not have a problem with the 4x4 trans on the 2wd motor. Also when rebuilding the trans on an automatic you should get the 4wd oil pan and use the 4wd filter on the transmission, since they are different as well.

Then why do they list engines either 2wd or 4wd? Or are they just stating what it came from?

difference in engine oil pans.

J...does no one consult a Hollander Interchange manual ?

Back