36's or 38's on IFS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

36's or 38's on IFS?

First my disclamer to all you ball busters *cough doug cought* : I have no intention whatsoever of doing what I am about to say.. its just a thought that popped in my mind today...

I currently have 2" BL 2" TT and perry's fenders and im running 35's quite easily..

My question: say i were to buy the 4" superlift and then do SOA in the rear with my current set-up, i know for a fact i could clear 36's and pretty sure i could fit 38's.. but is that feasable with the D35 IFS?

And why this popped into my head: i have no possible means (money/time/or tools) to fab up a SAS, however i am capable of doing the superlift.

But i also dont have the money... it adds up:
Super Lift and SOA ~ $1500
38's ~ 1000
Regearing ~ 500 (id assume 4.56 or 36's and higher for 38's)
And then replacing tranny on occasion ~ priceless :D

So what you guys think: is that a feasable goal for someone who has the money but not able to customize a SAS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO I dotn think that its feasable. I think you would explode the whole front end, all the time.

Check for some local fab shops in your area, and ask if they have ever done any SAS work for a ranger or X. I founda guy around here that works on rangers, and since they are basically the same... You get the idea.

I am also interested to see what others thoughts are.

yea, one day i plan on doing an SAS. But for now 35's are awesome with my IFS for commuting to school-- smooth ride and good handling and still kickass offroad.

this was just a crazy thought that i wanted to discuss...

especially since most jeeps have the D35 in the rear and D30 up front..

I give you 6 months... that's my bet any one else want to get in on this?? :p

i think our IFS can handle the 38's depending on what kind of wheeling you want to do and the style you do it in. If you are a 4lo creeper that crawls up every trail then sue you should be fine. I would recomend carrying some wheel bearings and ball joints though.

nissanboy said:
i think our IFS can handle the 38's depending on what kind of wheeling you want to do and the style you do it in. If you are a 4lo creeper that crawls up every trail then sue you should be fine. I would recomend carrying some wheel bearings and ball joints though.

i can hear the CV halfshafts shearing already

You could do a SAS for less than the lift if you spend some time looking and talking :)

I would never even think of 38's on a stock Explorer front end. Far too weak.

My front end eats enough parts with the 35s I'd hate to think of the stuff I'd go through with 38s.

Doug said:
My front end eats enough parts with the 35s I'd hate to think of the stuff I'd go through with 38s.

yea but..... you're doug.....if you had 28's you're explorer would still eat up parts :p

edit: i think you were the first one to say to me "if you're not breaking something, you're not wheeling hard enough"

sk1er17 said:
especially since most jeeps have the D35 in the rear and D30 up front..
yes, but most jeeps weigh ~2000 lbs less.

Your biggest problem (from my experience) is that you will go through inner tie rods ~5-10k miles, followed by ball joints and hub assemblies. And thats just driving it onroad. If you wheel it hard you're going to have problems with CV's, steering (tie rods, maybe even the rack itself) and the diff carrier, gears and housing. (especially if you are locked up front)

Most of the wear comes from unbalanced tires, and with a 36 or 38 you're gonna have a hard time balancing it, and then keeping it in balance.

Fenderguy said:
If you're going to save the money for the Superlift, just wait and save some more and do the SAS.

my question was aimed at people like myself that are capable of installing the superlift, but not capable of doing a SAS... therefore we'd have to save up an extra few thousand to go SAS

sk1er17 said:
my question was aimed at people like myself that are capable of installing the superlift, but not capable of doing a SAS... therefore we'd have to save up an extra few thousand to go SAS
And by going w/ the superlift and 38's you'd easily spend a few thousand in IFS parts in the next few years (well, assuming you wheel like I do :p ).

sk1er17 said:
My question: say i were to buy the 4" superlift and then do SOA in the rear with my current set-up, i know for a fact i could clear 36's and pretty sure i could fit 38's.. but is that feasable with the D35 IFS?

Thats what i was asking in the first place because i wasnt sure how strong out front ends actually were ;)

that wasnt so hard now was it ? :confused:

My guess would be 36x12.50's max if you are easy on it...... and even then i wouldnt recommend it. That much weight (36-38.5) will be hell on the steering rack, balljoints, TRE's, etc. etc. Alot of guys here are finding that wheeling with 35's wears stuff out rather quickly.

If the d35 should manage to hold up your steering box wont!! Mine started leaking after I made the hop from 33's to 35's! (might just have been a jinx) Keep in mind a 35 tire w/rim weighs roughly 65lbs and then its weight is multiplied with rotational mass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stay with what you have till you can go with the SAS, I have 33's right now and I wouldnt want to go any bigger on the IFS. I am waiting to find all the parts for my SAS on my 97x, and one other thing remember this is an X not a F350! 38's are way to big!!!

Back