4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I must just have good luck
However I did do some research before I bought the austeck the first thing I did was I took it apart and sealed all of the connections with a good rtv Inc the heater hose joint as stated above somewhere
I must have good luck and I'm gonna keep pushing it to

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

However I did do some research before I bought the austeck the first thing I did was I took it apart and sealed all of the connections with a good rtv Inc the heater hose joint as stated above somewhere

Maybe good RTV will prove to be the solution for the Austek's survival.
Thanks for posting that, keep us updated please.

When I get around to replacing the t-stat housing on my '01 ST I'm planning on using the one-piece metal t-stat housing (I show it selling for $149 from Simmons).

I've a big fan of RTV in general. Love the Ultra Black for things like diff covers and oil pans. I use the Red RTV on most things, I've never used the blue on anything (blue it's supposed to be for water/coolant related applications, but I used it once and didn't like it). The only thing I've used Copper RTV on is for things like headers. Isn't the Copper supposed to be for extreme heat applications?

FYI - the Simmons housing is now $127.49 as of 12/21/2018. For those who have installed this housing, does it come with any gaskets or new bolts?

2001-2006 Explorer Sport Trac/Ranger (2 sensor) Metal Thermostat Housing (SA4)

I think that there are options to get ones with bolts and sensors etc?
Check the website, the one you are looking at doesn't seem to come with anything but what is shown in the pictures.
Probably why it is cheaper than what others listed.
Email them to be sure.

I think that there are options to get ones with bolts and sensors etc?
Check the website, the one you are looking at doesn't seem to come with anything but what is shown in the pictures.
Probably why it is cheaper than what others listed.
Email them to be sure.

Okay, I just send them an email.

Well done, that's what I was thinking of doing. I love Ultra RTV any color stuff.

What a great thread this is :)

Okay, I just send them an email.

Here's the email response I got back from Simmons regarding what comes with the SA4 housing for $127.49...

It comes with all the seals and gaskets needed for install. No bolts, I do sell upgraded 10.9 grade bolts , long bolts and the short bolts if you need them. My housing comes with a limited lifetime warranty against failure.

Jonathan Simmons

Austekk comes with everything needed, nothing extra to buy...

The problems reported with the Austekk housing are possible leaks between the 2-piece housing and possible leaks between the small hose nipple and the top. Also the Austekk unit is prone to corrosion, as it mixes steel and aluminum components. The Austekk is much less expensive (at around $50), but you may find you end up with problems down the road. If I were going to do this repair I'd spend the extra money for the Simmons part and be done with it. The choice is yours.

The Austekk unit is die cast and machined, not injection molded.

The sand cast is superior because it can be made in one piece, not multiple pieces that need to be assembled and sealed, with potential leak points. Watch the video I posted earlier.

If the Austekk had not leaked, I would leave it installed and not ordered a Simmons one. I will let you know if the Austekk "lifetime" warranty is any good after I receive a refund from the seller. But to obtain it, I have to waste 4+ hours of my time removing it and installing a different one.

Don't lie to yourself man the Simmons is a way better unit it's ok to say your cheap I am

giphy (1).gif

Btw I bought the austekk unit myself and I like it to its just not as good as the Simmons unit

FYI - the Simmons housing is now $127.49 as of 12/21/2018. For those who have installed this housing, does it come with any gaskets or new bolts?

Just use the original bolts like I did. I have had one of Simmons t stat housing for years now with no problems. Just make sure you use only motorcraft sensors in it. Get and make sure you use his orings also or get some of the green ones for ac systems. Make sure you lube them with some grease or vaseline NOT COOLANT or they will eventually leak ask me how I know lol. Best money spent for piece of mind IMO!!!!

Just use the original bolts like I did. I have had one of Simmons t stat housing for years now with no problems. Just make sure you use only motorcraft sensors in it. Get and make sure you use his orings also or get some of the green ones for ac systems. Make sure you lube them with some grease or vaseline NOT COOLANT or they will eventually leak ask me how I know lol. Best money spent for piece of mind IMO!!!!

I lubed my o-rings with RTV

I pulled the leaking Austekk housing and installed the one piece Simmons housing. I believe this will cure the leaking thermostat housing once and for all.

Austekk Leak Evidence 2.jpg

Simmons SA-4 Installed.jpg

Someone's posts were deleted.
Now the posts seem a little out of place.
I just wanted to let everyone know why some posts seem that way now.
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with these thermostat housings.

Still no leaks on my austeck
But remember I disassembled it Inc the threaded heater hose on top and used the correct rtv I also put anti seize on all the threaded inserts
Used a real Felpro gasket and the same rtv on the two halves

I hope this housing don't get a bad name because I like the fit and finish way better than the Simmons ...which I have heard of leaks due to finishing of the casting ....

I must slow down a bit more because I saw the heater hose barb on top of the housing with the rtv and instantly took it off and reinstalled it correctly so I didn't have leaks

Both housing s need to be touched up before installing

On the Simmons website they don't seem to list a housing for my 99 SOHC? Do they make one for my truck, or has it been omitted from the website?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check with Simmons, he should be able to give you a recommendation on the correct product.

I did not "touch up" the Simmons housing and have no leaks.

Back