410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

1-3/8" front lift installed, 2wd F-150 spring seats installed under skyjacker 6" coils

truck aligned using Moog 2.75 degree camber correction shims

ttbspringseats.jpg

Drivers:
ttbdrive.jpg

Pass:
ttbpass.jpg

The correct location for the F-150 spring seat locating pin (against beam and radius arm):
seatpin.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More action shots! It snowed like a beast here today, so expect more of the white stuff lol

Looking good. You have any overall side shots? How you like those RS9000's? I'll be getting my 14" travel ones soon, for my front mounted shock. Your's extended any (F250 mount) or you running stock location right now?

Currently the stock buckets and shock towers
I love my Rancho 9000x, they are the 9 way adjustable, I pretty much leave them on 6-7

I have some custom Winter built coil buckets and I planned to run the F-250 towers with some 8" lift coils (move the bucket up 1.5", gain some bump travel) but I may just run this for a year or so until go coilover with new beams and an engine cage

Side shots are coming, its snowing here again today, 12" over two days at my work

I just installed the F150 coil spacers on mine as well. Any noticeable changes in the ride?

My 6" skyjacker coils were starting to sag quite a bit with the V8, so I was hoping to just level out and not have my rear end so freaking high!

yes it does change the ride a little bit, the TTB is sitting at a diff angle and it wont take bumps the same, it tracks perfectly straight but will follow the crown in the road a bit, it corners just fine and handles far better then a factory BII ever dreamed of, Lets just say I still hit the speed bumps by my house at 45-50+

Side shot with spacers installed (much better):
B2side030207.jpg

(Yes rust & paint repair is coming, just not as important as some other mods)

Having a little fun at work, yup thats about as far as I am going this way unless I air down then MAYBE:
b2ditch030207.jpg

This is a steep hill, this is also where my dad's F-250 was stuck, took us 3 weeks to get it through that last 3-4' drift, then the next day it snowed a foot:
b2hill030207.jpg

The change in elevation from driveway to here is about 30', it gets steep

Drift city:
b2drift030207.jpg

This is as far as she'll go with 30 psi in the tires both lockers, in 1 Low, the pic cant do the hill justice, I love working up here. I am trying to get to the barn so I can drag more parts home for weekend projects

Looks like I will be hiking

:thumbsup:

Your at about the same height I am with 35's

35s%20002.jpg

I'm running the RS9000X's all round too. I've got quad 12" travel ones up front and I'm running 4' lift F150's in the rear.

I'll be running the 12's out back as soon as my 14's come in.

BII = keep it low and clear big tires, nice stance!

BII = keep it low and clear big tires, nice stance!

I've thrown a 3/4" spacer under the coils since that picture. I didn't like the forward rake I was getting and the spacers adjusted my camber better. Nothing like having the stock bushings on the upper ball joints.:D

my stock bushings are IN THE BARN

This weekends project:

new copper header gaskets from WAPP. I took my ceramic header to ON track Performance to get their opinion about which to run to finally seal these up
I ended up with WAPP copper gaskets

gasket1.jpg

Problem:
They are VERY close to matching the port design for the GT-40 P head but not exact, so I will be port matching them myself, likely with a dremmel and carbide bit. these gaskets are for up to 95 Mustang 5.0L, there is no listing for the GT-40 or GT-40 P heads...figures

here is the material that needs to be removed, there is plenty of copper gasket all the way to the bottom edge:

gasket2.jpg

I am so sick of the exhaust ticking after having the TM headers on and off 4 times (4 headers total) we are about to make it 6

Once I am happy the BII is sealed up I will be doing the same thing to the Explorer, that truck is even worse wrenching wise!

Looks good. I like it. Stuff should be in the mail monday.

OKay Drivers Torque Monster header replaced with copper gasket! No leaks!!

I didnt not use the gaskets I got yesterday, instead I got some that fit the GT-40 p heads a bit better from a local Mustang shop this AM

First getting started, this is the old header complete with leaking gasket:
tmbefore.jpg

removed, dirty head, you can see it was leaking everywhere:
tmbareheaddirty.jpg

Parts removed:
tmpartsoff.jpg

header, dipstick, ac compressor, & steering intermediate shaft

Old gasket (no bueno):
tmgasketbad.jpg

Head sealing area cleaned with wire brush:
tmheadclean.jpg

Now the new copper gasket in place ALMOST fits the GT-40p head but not quite:
tmcopperbefore.jpg

the ports are up just a bit too high

The solution = oval out the mounting holes:
tmcopperafter.jpg

I used a round file, took all of 10 minutes, now the ports line up perfect

In place almost done!
tmheaderdone.jpg

I got the truck up to operating temp (water reaches 210, thermostat opens, drops to 200) then torqued the header flange and down pipe again. Thread lock was used on all bolts. Dipstick, plug wires, ac compressor and steering shaft re-installed:
tmheaderdone2.jpg

Once the header was in place I did have to bend the copper in two places with a screwdriver so my spark plug socket will reach 100%.

Robert re-designed the conversion headers from the prototype set I had installed previously, the header I installed today is brand new (have had it for a while) the bolts are easier to access this time around and the fit around the firewall and steering shaft has been improved.

NO MORE LEAKS!! That ticking was getting OLD

Total time was about 3.5 hours from time I took tire off to putting the tire back on and cleaning up

Now to do the passenger side.....

hell yes the bolt on the very rear of the header flange towards the firewall is 10mm open ended wrench, 1/8 of a turn, flip wrench over, 1/8 turn, repeat...but it can be done just takes patience. The dipstick holding double sided stud is tricky as well, it's 14mm and the same deal, open ended wrench only. 5 of the 8 can be gotten to with 3/8" drive and a 10mm 12 point socket for final torquing

I wish I would have known too! I have two trucks with the TM headers....hopefully this will help others
Doing the pass side this afternoon, I am so looking forward to the non ticking BII

Passenger side is done, took 2 hours. 4 of the bolts on the passenger side are open ended wrench access only.
The best advice is to get the header & gasket into position when getting ready to install. Install the 3 hardest to access bolts loosley and tighten them together and slowly. You can get them snug with your fingers and then follow up with the wrech.
This allows the head of the bolts to clear the header tubes.
Then install the remaining 5 and slowly torque them down working from middle to outside.

The EGR on the TM headers uses a 1" and 1-1/8" wrech, makes short work of this.

NO LEAKS, truck has been run to tempature and then the headers re-torqued. Thread lock used on all header bolts

Please oh please let it be sealed for good.
I have now removed and re-installed TM headers 6 times, its not that bad really

New scar

Did a little trail by the name of Carnage Canyon yesterday playing hookie from work. This girl i am dating is REALLY hooked on wheeling in the mountains so we have been going a bunch.

I got the BII into some VERY hairy stuff yersterday, some of it really pushing the limits of what shes safely capable of. This is a NO NO when you are wheeling alone. Luckily we got out safely with minimal damage, unfortunatley I didnt get any pics of the truck off camber or with a tire 4' in the air, we were too busy spotting ourselves to try to get back onto the trial safely.

It is time for a cage and to chop up the bronco II body, with the lockers and 35's I can easily get myself into some real trouble.

A rock left a nice mark on my door, I watched as it went by and figured the dent would be far more serious then this, but she got through the whole day with just a busted headlight and a new deep scar in the drivers paint.

Going back again this weekend hahahaha I will be sure to get some pictures and video next time

friggin $80 headlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back